Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing!! Seems like you had a very very nice trip and a hell of a good time. Closest I ever came to Chimay thus far is sampling the very special beer made there by monks, yet perhaps I'm totally wrong in assuming it's in the same locality!
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  2. Jonnybeau

Jonnybeau 2014 Stelvio NTX

Oddometer:
    Luckily my bike is not new eh .... I would have been well pissed off it was new... I can at least say that it has been christened !!!
    Dracula likes this.
  3. Jonnybeau

Oddometer:
    Hi Vic,

Thanks - it was a good trip... one for the books :ricky

You are correct - it is the same place as the beer comes from - Chimay Blue !!! 9%..

I prefer Chimay Gold though - it is more realistic of the type of beer I drink.
    TimmyTheHog and Dracula like this.
  4. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. xdsbiker

xdsbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mounted the E07+ back in early July. Ended up getting the rear from Revzilla, and the front from Rawhide Adventures. Have about 7,000 miles on them, with maybe 1,000 - 2,000 left. Front is wearing great, no cupping at all. Maybe 1,000 miles of hard packed gravel (The Dalton both ways, and Top of the World Hwy), the rest all highway and country roads. No foot peg draggin, but they corner good. They do whine a little, mostly can be heard when slowing down. Seems like a little vibration can be felt when at speed, but they feel stable at any speed. Wet weather, no problems. Only other tire I've run is the Scorpion 2, and the front always cupped real bad. My son also runs them on his AT, and he also likes them
    Jonnybeau, Dracula and Dons1911 like this.
  6. BMDADV

BMDADV 2017 Stelvio NTX

Oddometer:
    So a little update...

Thanks to John for graciously providing me with the 44i3 map. All I can say is WOW! Finally got a chance to go out for a ride today and I'm happy to say it smoothed out the rough spot between 3500-4000 rpm. It seems a little thirstier though but that's probably due to being a little more accurate I guess. But man does this bike suck on fuel economy lol! Also nice to have an accurate speedo, not sure why motorcycle manufacturers can't get it right. I mean I know there's huge fines for being under but the Stelvio read 4% faster and my old V-Strom was a whopping 7% higher!

Seeing as this thread has turned to tires I always had great luck with the regular Metzeler Tourance. I once got 24,000km's out of a rear tire on the V-Strom. Haven't seen much mention of it here not sure why.

Thanks all for your tips and advice!
    Jonnybeau and Dracula like this.
  7. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was a good trip, and as with most group events, it was the company that really made it what it was.
    We had a few mechanical issues, the lost Tappet Nut being one.
    The Buell spat it's L/H rear Wheel Bearing Cage out on the way down from Le Mans to our first night-stop.
    Luckily only an hour or so from there.
    My friend, Tom, whom we were staying with came to the rescue in his Van, he'd got hold of a pair of new Bearings before we arrived, as the Buell's owner had suspected they were on the way out.
    There was a lot of brown staining around the Hub after a downpour on the way to the overnight Ferry.

Because the Bearing had lost the Cage, the Bearing Inner Race came out, leaving the Outer in the Hub.
    I had to weld an old Bolt onto it to be able to drift it out.
    Utrider1, Dracula and Jonnybeau like this.
  8. Jonnybeau

Oddometer:
    Yep. I agree Doc - A good bunch of Guys - had a great time
    Dracula likes this.
  9. Xlratr

Xlratr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @BMDADV
    The map isn't thirstier, but the mpg display is now closer to reality.
    Dracula likes this.
  10. hipine

hipine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I'm a little "thirstier" for all that nice smooth power delivery from the new map! :) I've been waiting to accrue 5 or 6 tanks of data to be sure it's settled in through all it's learning before I post my results. I think I must have them in the phone by now. Full disclosure, I have not assessed the accuracy of my odometer of late.

Displayed MPG__Displayed Miles___Pump Gallons__Actual MPG
    ___42.0____________272.2_________6.530________41.68
    ___41.2____________253.4_________5.817________43.56
    ___42.0____________269.5_________6.507________41.42
    ___40.5____________233.3_________5.389________43.29
    ___42.7___________ 247.3_________5.775________42.82

I consider this "spot on" given variability in fill level, fuel quality, etc from fill to fill.
    All riding is on slow mountain roads, 35-55mph speed limits, commuting 40 miles a day
    with side cases in place, between 5500 and 9,000 ft in central CO.

Thanks again John!

-Dave G.
    PS - just to be complete - I did check the odometer against mile markers on the road. Ride through 10 miles of mile markers this is 100 "tenths" so you get the % directly. In my case I rode 100 tenths and the odometer read 95 (9.5 miles) so my odometer is under-reporting by 5% Average "actual mpg" above is 42.55 . Odo error would cause me to multiply that by 1.05 to get 44.68. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Utrider1, Xlratr and Dracula like this.
  11. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my ride yesterday I was in a fairly relaxed mood, exploring new wrinkles in the semi-local landscape, not too interested in peg scaping or full throttle pulls. The new map is perfect. I can tractor along at low revs with good response from the engine, tip-toeing 'round blind corners, or I can go deep into 3rd or 4th when an open set of sweepers appears. For all of it the engine is smooth and willing. Thanks, John!

[​IMG]
    Redwags, Hoak, Utrider1 and 6 others like this.
  12. Dracula

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Hoak, Utrider1 and aftCG like this.
  13. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You at the gift shop again?
    aftCG and Dracula like this.
  14. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Couldn't resist! Saw it at Af1's tweeter
    HarveyMushman likes this.
  15. coast range rider

coast range rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't know Guzzi had a V4 engine. Must be for their new MotoGP bike.
    Possibly very bad news though, the valve adjustment would take a half hour instead of 15 minutes.

There's a resurgence in V4 road bikes:
    The relaunched brand Norton designed its first-ever V4 and introduced it in the V4 RR. Rumored that Honda is putting a V4 in the upcoming RVF1000 road bike. And while Ducati’s signature V2 isn’t going anywhere, the maker’s Panigale V4—launched in 2018 as part of its regular production line—is nudging it aside on the brand’s biggest, fastest bikes. With the same displacement, a V4 can rev higher than a V2 and squirt out more horsepower, and its shorter crankshaft reduces the gyroscopic effect of engine vibrations affecting the bike’s balance.
    Dracula likes this.
  16. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was prepared to laugh until I studied the picture. Now I want one. Not sure what I want it in, but uh, "here kitty kitty".
    Dracula likes this.
  17. coast range rider

coast range rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave, because John's map corrects the speedometer reading, it necessarily changes the accuracy of the odometer at the same time. I believe John told me the new map causes the odometer to read 5% low. Since I don't see that correction in your chart, I think your bike is 5% less thirsty than you posted.
    Xlratr and Dracula like this.
  18. Dracula

Oddometer:
    For what is worth, I personally never figured the correlation, but noticed that when the indicated speed is correct - actual odometer becomes incorrect (I suspect there is a hardcoded factor to keep lawyers happy), and am not sure by how much and which way (up or down). Suffice to say John agreed to let me use the OEM Speedo Factor in the map - thus my preference is living with the stock, optimistically inaccurate speedometer (for which I actually use the GPS when I want to be running right "on the edge of speed limit" yet avoid getting a ticket) rather than deal with an inaccurate odometer. This is because I prefer knowing how much gas I have left and how far I can travel, over how fast I actually travel. As they say in Italy .. uh I forget :D ... just google for yourself (in Italian) using keywords "officer" "speed" and "objects in the mirror" and pick the results that you prefer. :photog:lol3
  19. Dracula

Oddometer:
    ..a short, enjoyable afternoon ride
    [​IMG]
    with a relaxing stop to enjoy the nature
    [​IMG]
    stevie99, shuckinator, Xlratr and 4 others like this.
  20. Xlratr

Xlratr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vic, the map contains a number which represents how many wheel rotations equate to a certain distance. If you add time to the calculation, you get the speed you're traveling at. So odometer and speedometer depend on the same number. Change the number and both are affected.
    While European legislation dictates that a speedometer "may" read higher than true speed by a certain percentage (can't remember if it's 5% or 10%), it may NEVER read less than the true speed. So you'll find that most European car and bike manufacturers put some buffer into the readout to account for tyre type and wear.
    Hoak and Dracula like this.