Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you John :deal ...that explains why we can have one or another, not both (speed and trip odometer) accurate at same time.
  2. Dracula

Oddometer:
    whatever they say, I'd take tubeless tires over tube ones, every day, but especially at night, just before rain starts when there is another hour to go to reach some kind of destination.. brand new effin tire - punctured after running through some less than desireable roads..
    [​IMG]

This of course could only happen to me on a brand new rear tire. But the K60 are so tough, it took me a while to realize it was losing air, going 70 mph and starting to feel vague and fuzzy.. but the first thing I thought "damn steering bearings aren't seated!!!".. nope:
    [​IMG]
    small freaking puncture, nail wasn't even there any more.. this is when proffesional grade tools and materials are worth their money:
    [​IMG]
  3. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any luck at all? LOL!
  4. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vic, what's this?
    Drac'sTyre.jpg

Looks like a substantial defect in the Tyre to me, is it previous damage?
    Dracula likes this.
  5. Iowa Stelvio

Iowa Stelvio Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After a few times of finding out just in time to stop from a puncture, I purchased a Tire Pressure Monitoring system like this: http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=13-315U&GroupGuid=16

Nice to be able to know your tire pressures while moving down the road or trail. I do lose a little pressure over time with the system when compared to a normal valve cap. However, I would have lost the same amont of air just putting a tire gauage on it each morning or before rides.
    Dracula likes this.
  6. Dracula

Oddometer:
    It ain't even funny - seems the Universe is playing tricks, but hey I guess everyone has their ups and downs. As somenone I know used to say, any day above ground and breathing, it's a good day.. For now I will tell anyone whenever they feel something funny in the ride - just pull over asap, do not wait too long. If the beads broke off I would have been out of luck, not to mention not quite safe at highway speed.
  7. Dracula

Oddometer:
    It may be a scar from a sharp object on the crappy roads I rode over (construction zone detour) or just a molding mark but really thanks for noticing!! I need to check it, rainy day and all today.. I subjected it to allot of stress riding it almost flat at 70 mph for several miles.. it was really hot when I stopped. So far it seems it has held pressure - given the kick test this morning. I am going to try and ride it a bit even though weather sucks and it's lousy around here with some kind of tropical storm..
  8. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sometimes it just seems the stars are just not quite in alignment.
    We just returned from a 16 day vacation in the motorhome. EVERYTHING went fantastic...for 15 days. on the last day I had a hydraulic hose for one of the slides fail coming down Donner summit. The system is designed to maintain pressure to keep the hydraulic jacks up and the slides in. Needless to say it ran until all 6 quarts of oil were out the back and deposited on our "toad", and the hydraulic leveling system was flashing a "jacks down" warning. Managed to limp the last 250 miles to the house only to discover that the new motorhome has the hitch higher than our last one and the off set caused the "toad" to run 3,000 miles on the inside of the front tires, ruining them. Found that out the first day back to work when the drivers side front let go half way home. New tires, new hitch, new hose. Vacation became a bit more expensive than we thought! Point is, it can always get worse!
    yhn.jpg
  9. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't the levellers have heavy duty springs holding them up when not deployed? Your warning was just for the low oil pressure, but they couldn't actually move down could they? Glad you were able to "limp" home.
  10. Dracula

Oddometer:
    The rear Heidenau is actually fine as far as structural integrity. The mark in previous picture is just a bad shot at night , actually those marks are from molding release!! Whew!! But thanks allot @Doc. !!!
    Reddog* likes this.
  11. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Dang Mooney, I wanna be like you when I grow up. But have a feeling I ran out of time already. No wonder you only ride the Stelvio in vacations, with that many toys to recharge batteries - so to speak. Izzat lower compartment where you pull out your Corvette from, or a Ferrari? :lol3
  12. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish! Naa, it’s not quite like that. Our daughter is grown and through college with her own family. So it’s just Bubba and I. We’ve worked every day for 40 years to get here. We’ve got 2 more years to go to retirement and some serious travel.
    As for the motor home, you would laugh how we got here. It actually started with a 1970 shovelhead I bought in a box from a dealer I ended up working for. Ending up as their GM for 10 years. I pimped the “troublehead”, sold it and bought a repo softtail, tricked it out, sold it and bought a first year Road King. Sold that and bought the first airplane. (For less than the Road King) The dealership was at the end of the local airport runway. The owner and I used to go there for breakfast a lot. Seemed like a good idea. Sold the wife’s bike and bought lessons. Yes, you can buy airplanes without a license. Two years later we traded in the Piper with some cash and bought the Mooney. Had that for about 10-12 years. Two things in life to remember. For the most part, houses and aircraft increase in value. We owned the Mooney free and clear when we sold it when I transferred her 10 years ago. Over the years we updated things, oxygen, weather radar, stuff like that. We made a bit more than we had invested so that was nice. We bought an older motor home a couple years ago. Re did the interior, new graphics and what not on the outside, went to camping world to pick up valve stem extensions and my wife wanted to “get ideas” looking at newer motor homes next door. Long story short, she started peeing on the tires of the Georgetown so we had to buy it.
    So it all started in 1990 with a used HD shovelhead I bought in a box for $5k. Make sense? LOL! IMG_0411.JPG
  13. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shovelheads, here is a picture of my 1970 I rebuild from ground up and rode for ten years before selling.
    1970 Shovel.JPG
    Dracula and Gillmeister like this.
  14. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Y'all guys are awesome, that's who I owe my Stelvio literally to... oh and @WitchCityBallabio :raabia

P.S. The list is way too long .. getting 41 MPG now, not to mention the new steering bearings haven't thrown me over the handlebars yet! A bike you can fix with a hammer, a good hand and some pliers! Occasional use of a laptop. My kind of motorcyle.
    Jonnybeau, Doc., Xlratr and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Mine was a FL. It even had "banana" brakes! When I first got it running it was such a disappointment I rode to the dealer I bought it from so they could ride it. He said it was the best running Shovel he a ridden in years! I branded it an "oil leaking, non accelerating piece of s&*t. It worked out though, on our first dealership ride my wife was on the back and as we were riding in the twisties with the "herd" and every corner the group would come to a virtual stop, she leaned forward and told me to "pass these f*()ers". She, not very tolerant of squids, and pissed because I wouldn't let her ride her GSXR 750.
    It was a tough transition from AMA road racing to "bumpty, bumpty, bump" and a bike with cast iron cylinders...I don't think she ever got over it.
  16. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And for the record, Bonafied Bob has the best "yard"! From what I've seen in his posts it looks fantastic! I'd love to have that expanse. We live so close to our neighbors I could pee through the fence while standing in the garage side door, and hit their lawn. Oh wait, I do that....
    Dracula, Bonafide Bob and Utrider1 like this.
  17. coast range rider

coast range rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 10A blown fuse got replaced with another 10A fuse. Road 700 miles without a problem, even with heated grips on medium. Today fuse blew when for the first time since replacement I set the heated grips (Oxford) to high.

My plan is to run a 15A fuse and get an inductive ammeter pickup (too bad I don't own one) around each heated grip cable and then see what current change is to each grip when switching from medium to high. I know others here use the Oxford grips, and mine used to work on high with the 10A fuse. I still carry a spare fuse in case the 15A blows when grips go to high setting. Stay tuned...
    Jonnybeau, Dracula and Utrider1 like this.
  18. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Interesting. So the Oxford grips seem to be suspected of overloading. Makes sense. I don't know if measuring via induction ammeter will help but I'd try re creating the scenario and if it blows the fuse just use next size up because it won't be an issue.
  19. Dracula

Oddometer:
    +1 Have to agree on Bob's yard (and the KTM he can run circles around it on ;-). I thought of it and after travelling quite a bit across the US, I saw that huge gorgeous homes and large properties can be had in much more budget friendly places. Heck, some states have even no property or vehicle annual tax! Think TN for example. Problem is, there's always a "but" and everyone's is different.. For me, when I sold my last home, that whole project getting it ready for closing date, getting rid of accumlated cr@p over many years by either selling or donating or putting it on the curb, was literally a mental purgatory - I adopted since the minimalist philosophy, because I want less maintanenace worries and dependencies to a place I'd call my own. I think twice before I even print something now... hate paper stacks!
    Jonnybeau and Dons1911 like this.
  20. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really? minimalist philosophy, because you want less maintenance worries? And you ride what, again? You slay me! :jack
    Utrider1 likes this.