Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. coast range rider

coast range rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My borrowed Snapon DTAC Elite which reads DC amps had a broken inductive pickup, so read 0 amps when around grip wire while on high setting. Both grips get equally hot on high setting that previously blew the 10A fuse. Riding 10 minutes on high setting did not blow the 15A fuse, so I guess I am done. Kinda sad because the Oxford grips are supposed to be protected by a 5A fuse when on a circuit by themselves.
    The only other accessory I have on that circuit is my top box brake lights but they are led and are working properly.
  2. Dons1911

Dons1911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for some more info/advice...going to do a compression test as the dealer recommended. Have a compression gauge, but unsure about a couple of things.

Engine cold or at operating temp?

How do I disable the ignition system?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks guys!
  3. guzziraz

guzziraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Engine warm (if at all possible), all spark plugs out, good charged battery, wide open throttle. Run starter until gauge has settled (they use to stick at max seen until you press a button), if you don't have a leak (eg. with a rubber cone tester) it's just a few revolutions.

Oh and absolute readings are not that interesting, it's the [Edit: Note sure what happened there but beers might have been involved. I was going to say something like what Pete said: There shouldn't be more than a 10% discrepancy between cylinders.]
    Dracula likes this.
  4. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    Thanks @guzziraz , much appreciated! So just letting the plug wires hang out of the way is OK? No need to disable the ignition system? I've been told there is sometimes you can burn up things doing this wrong. Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm not too experienced with this sort of thing...

And what does you last sentence mean, "...it's the"?
  5. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Either rest the plugs against the heads or better yet just disconnect them from the loom, (You'll get a service warning on the dash. Ignore it.) it's also wise to disconnect the injectors, (This will also trigger a service warning. Ignore it!). Then throttle wide open and spin it over. With a warm engine you should get 170-180 PSI each side at or around sea level. There shouldn't be more than a 10% discrepancy between cylinders and if one side is something absurd like 220 PSI it means the cam timing is out which will explain its lack of performance.
    Dracula and coast range rider like this.
  6. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Pete, I appreciate it! I'm not having any performance issues, the bike runs great. It's just that one exhaust valve lash that keeps tightening up.

I assume disconnecting the plug wires from the loom is done by tracing them back to find the other end and unplug it? Same for the injectors?
    Dracula likes this.
  7. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't unplug the high tension leads, disconnect the power supply plugs on the coils.

If the valve lash on one valve keeps closing up I'd be whipping the head off and replacing it. You don't want it loosing the head off a valve. That gets messy and expensive!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    I do not think I possess the skills to replace the valve. At this point I am collecting data for the dealer 400 miles away. Unsure what else to do. Afraid of burning up something in the ignition system. Cannot find anything in the service manual about checking compression...
  9. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't need to. Do you think you have the skills to pull the head? If so just do that, buy a valve and valve guide oil seal and take it to an engine rebuilder and ask them to install it.

Is it only the one valve that is closing up its clearances? Sorry,you said it was. That is a red flag.
    Dracula and coast range rider like this.
  10. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    Yup, just the one valve, same valve. On the first service they were all loose. I adjusted them into spec, and all have been fine since then, except the inboard exhaust valve on the right side. At every service the same valve has been tightening up. I also check them at mid service, 3k miles and the same valve is tight every time. I have almost 15k miles on the bike now. It's a '17 I bought new in January this year.

I believe I could prolly get the head removed and installed. I just read thru the service manual on that and it all looks pretty clear except for the couple sentences in Italian! I'll look into an engine re-builder and check out going that route...
    aftCG likes this.
  11. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's just the one valve you really don't want to leave it. It's probably a duff valve and it's neck is stretching. Very rare but it happens.
  12. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pete! I'm trying to figure out this compression test. If I get it i'll post the results. I'll call and get a valve and a valve guide oil seal on order. Found a local shop that does cylinder head work on motorcycles. Has a good rep. Any other parts I should order along with valve? And any tips on pulling the head?
    Dracula likes this.
  13. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll need a head gasket but you won't know which one until you get the old one off. Inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets too.

I think I did a write up on head removal recently.
  14. joeconejo

joeconejo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a R.U.B to me. Meet him in front of Starbucks did we? LOL! That's a swinging deal for a new bike as well.
    Good thing we live on opposite sides of the country, pretty sure we would "get out of control" way more often than we probably should.... :clap
    Dracula likes this.
  17. Festus

Festus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mountain View Motorcycle Campground, Elk Park NC
    Hello all, we are having a camper appreciation day, November 9th from 12:00 to 4:00 PM. If you have stayed with us, or would like to stay with us, ride in. Call (828-528-1263) if you would like to reserve a bunk. We will provide grilled hot dogs and fixins, slaw, beans, chips, sodas, and dessert. Thanks so much for a great 2019!

Also, don't forget the Stelvio Rally in two weeks.

Mountain View Motorcycle Campground, Elk Park, NC
  18. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good catch...
    Dracula and XT Traveler like this.
  20. hipine

hipine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a piston from a 500 Interceptor that looks a lot like that. Turned out they had a bunch of bad inlet valves and the adjuster would mushroom the top of the stem until it grew enough to split the retainer on the top of the spring. The valve failed for a friend while he was warming the bike up in his garage at start of season one year. Bought the broken bike form him for $200, fixed it and had a LOAD of fun on it for a few years. My wife learned to ride on it before deciding she'd prefer something lower and moving to a 650 Shadow.
    -Dave G.
    Mooney 78865 and Dracula like this.