Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I get tempted every time!! Was going to take pictures the other day when my odo went over seventy, but really plan on showing off if I get it to 100. Rode some beautiful forest mountain roads in WV yesterday, both paved and unpaved and the weekend isn't over yet!

On the other hand got a chance to sit on a 790 ktm... Damn it feels like a toy I could pickup one handed, by comparison. There just isn't that solid reassuring feel Stelvio has ..

Maybe we retire some day!?

There is some good riding around these parts too..
    XT Traveler likes this.
  2. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm under two years to retirement. We should be debt free then, and all of my various retirement packages will be at 100% along with social security. All that said, if I get "walked" tomorrow, I'm not going to work anywhere... I really want to explore the East side of this country and not have a timeline doing it. Soon, real soon...
    I'd like to take one of the 790's for a spin. I can't imagine needing anything other than the Stelvio for an adventure bike though. Maybe my expectations don't require lighter, faster, more nimble any longer. Or I'm just settled down to smell the flowers, or the "Anvil" is just that good. What ever the case, what ever it is, the Stelvio scratched the itch, and makes me giggle like a school kid every time I ride it. Seriously, like a school kid.
    I actually had a couple guys in the Cycle Gear parking lot this morning ask me what brand bike it was. I told them it was a Moto Guzzi. They'd never heard of Moto Guzzi. I felt obligated to explain, but noticed the 2" "chicken strips" on their tires and decided I should just buy my 2 stroke oil and go before I had to explain the difference between 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Ahhh, the youth today....it hurts me, it really does.
    Jonnybeau, aftCG, Utrider1 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A "minicepter" and a 650 Shadow, wow! That takes me back to the "day"!
  4. hipine

hipine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :) That 500 was a hoot. My main ride for 20 years starting in '90 was a V65 Sabre. Wish I could have kept all 8 or 10 that have come and gone along the way. That and the leisure time to ride them all, and somebody to keep the carbs clean. :)

-Dave G.
    Mooney 78865 and Dracula like this.
  5. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I had few motorcycles I liked. Then very few ones I didn't so much. Then again others, I thought were "the one" at the time. Yet none of them comes close to the Stelvio, the feel I get the moment I sit on it and crank the big motor to life. The ride, any ride on it is .... delicious! It has that feel of a huge hammer which when swung judiciously is sooo rewarding.. That, or an animal like a bear with velvet mittens. Sometimes something else... a Ferrari! Or a Caterpillar tractor, depending on mood and conditions! Oh and yes people encountered seem to fall into one of the two categories, very few know Moto Guzzi and can talk your ear off. I listen very attentively to those! But the majority, never ever heard about the brand, let alone this model. I wish your retirement plan goes smooth. I'm still chicken but seeing how people can vanish in few days or hours sometimes, I'm really kicking myself every single day asking "what the f@ck are you waiting, and doing you idiot??". Thing is, the older we grow, the less adventurous we become and our aim changes. Where there was a time I had no second thoughts sleeping under the sky, on a bench in Budapest covered with a blanket next to my new Jawa, to be awaken by the police flashlight, now I have the audacity to want to know where am going to be sleeping every night! And on and on..
    Jonnybeau and Utrider1 like this.
  6. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, we should expect that sometime around August 2020 then . . .
    Jonnybeau, Mooney 78865 and Dracula like this.
  7. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Vic! I might need to ask a favour from you soon. I have an issue with the ABS on the Turdio and fear it's the ABS pump itself. Even second hand these are as dear as poison so if I need to substitute I was wondering if I could borrow the pump off your zombie bike to check before I haemorrhage some stupid sum.

Not needed yet. I'm going to do sensors and stuff first and that may fix it but it pitched Beetle off the other day so it needs fixerating!
  8. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Pete, you'll have to explain to me how to safely remove the piece from the now precariously suspended Lucifer. I hope it won't fall on my foot when I work on it but as of now it does not even have any wheels. Reason I didn't completely disassemble it yet is lack of garage / shelf space! But with all the talk going on about wear and tear on my dear Stelvio, I am serious to do something with Lucifer this winter (or Oz summer however we look at it).
    So if you give me removal instructions I'll find the time to ship the part to you. Once I get it back, I'd need help hooking it back up and bleeding properly.

Best,
    Vic
  9. Festus

Festus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing a service on the big girl yesterday and pulled the fork tubes off to do an oil change. Did the rebound leg first, all good. Refilled the Compression leg and no damping, it's like a pogo stick no mater how it is adjusted. Bike has 18.5k miles. I didn't check the damping before I dumped the old oil but have any of y'all checked compression damping on a stock fork leg? My instinct says the compression cartridge is toast. I guess it is time for the cartridges that I was going to install in the spring next year.

Thanks,
    Festus
  10. Dracula

Oddometer:
    FWIW I love the feel of the Andreani's, both on and off road, and I subjected them quite often to very bumpy roads and extreme corrugations like the other day in WV around Spruce Knob mountain. Every time I hit a huge pot hole and hear all the air hiss out, they never bottom, yet I expect trouble but thus far the forks have worked great, much better than stock after the upgrade. If you order from same ebay dealer (not sure they still are there) they'll match weight to your spring rates.
    Festus likes this.
  11. coast range rider

coast range rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After 6 months of ownership, my Stelvio's odometer is now well into the 5 digit range and with Andreani up front, Wilbers down back, and @Xlratr's 44i3 in the middle, I whole heartedly concur:
    "my Moto Guzzi pleases me. Can’t imagine owning anything else." :rayof
    Xlratr, stevie99, Dons1911 and 3 others like this.
  12. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. stevie99

Oddometer:
  14. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need yet Vic. I'm hoping it's something bloody stupid like the switchblock or a sensor. I also have a pump off a Cali 1400 but I don't know if they have the same pin-out or logic installed.

Anyway, I picked the huge, glistening Turd up from Wagga this morning so I'll have a poke around and see what I can find.........
  15. Dracula

Oddometer:
  16. stevie99

Oddometer:
    That’s a ranch southeast of Mosquero, New Mexico.
    Mooney 78865 and Dracula like this.
  17. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will the one from a Norge work? Asking for a friend..........lol
    Mooney 78865 and Dons1911 like this.
  18. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    id expect so, as long as it's a Conti not a Bosch but once again it might have different software or pin-out. I'll need to look at the parts list and compare numbers first. What year Norge?
  19. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 2015 one, I have sitting behind my house..........I need to get some "other" parts off of for you. :D
  20. stevie99

Oddometer: