Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's as good a check as any Vic, the Human Finger can detect microscopic defects.

The problem is the Light Alloy spacer between the Bearings.
    It's fairly long compared to most others, and it will compress slightly when the Axle is tightened.
    The correct torque is specified so that the bearings are loaded 'just right'.
    If a Shaved Ape (© Pete Roper) just does it up with a 3ft Bar, the Spacer compresses enough for the Bearings to be overloaded, and they won't last long.
    dtaylor and Dracula like this.
  2. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I could drive 15 minutes and pay $17 a wheel I don't I would do my on tire changes.
    Dracula likes this.
  3. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You think about what “may be”. I don’t.
    I’m pretty “black and white”. There is no half full or half empty. It’s just half. It needs to be done, or it doesn’t. If it does, do it. If it don’t, move on.
    Dracula likes this.
  4. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's interesting. I saw nowhere any information on bearings life and recommendations for their renewal. Even for simple applications like wheel bearings or the more predictable wear/tear for CARC? It's something of a question that irritated me for decades. On BMW I found out in real life what the final drive main bearing life was. 65,000 miles that it started "crunching". Yet if properly shimmed when installed they can last 100,000 and more on those bikes. Bearings quality notwithstanding.
  5. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Umm.. really appreciate your insight! But my life's problems have rarely been black and white. So maybe it's me. LOL. Edit: Not maybe!
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  6. dtaylor

dtaylor Eaten by a grue.

Oddometer:
    Indeed. Not only that, significant overtorquing on the Buell XB axle risks damaging the soft spacer, resulting in incorrect preload at the correct torque values. A bit of a "for want of a nail" story. The correct procedure is torque to 25 ft-lbs, back off 2 turns, then torque to 50 ft-lbs.

Doc, I believe your friend was heading for a bearing failure even before the tire shop went all Highland Games on it. That picture suggests water ingress -- not uncommon. The Ulysses, with its adventure touring aspirations, should have been better engineered when it came to wheel bearings. No outer hub seals and only two bearings in the rear (prior to 2010) was asking for trouble.
  7. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I cross posted this here as it may be interesting solution for others that are looking for a loud horn ..

must be @Mooney 78865 's neighbor judging by license plate?
    Mooney 78865 and HarveyMushman like this.
  8. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    “Now that’s a motorcycle horn.”
    Dracula and Mooney 78865 like this.
  9. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we have all sorts of "freak shows" out here. Look in the foreground and there will be a box of Tide Pods....
    Dracula likes this.
  10. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tide Pods taste like peppermint.
    Dracula and Mooney 78865 like this.
  11. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Na, you just need to "evaluate" differently.
    Rules of life:
    1. Verify everything
    2. Never say no to coffee (except decaf or instant)
    3. A girl can never have to much blue eyeshadow
    4. If it flies, floats, or f&*ks, rent it.
    5. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should
    6. Just because you should, doesn't mean you can
    Easy, peasy.
    Bonafide Bob and Dracula like this.
  12. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think so? Kinda thought they had a "plastic" taste.
    Dracula likes this.
  13. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Don't you think it would be a nice addition to the camping gear for the upcoming Death Valley trip? Imagine the echo in the deserted valley or if you happen upon some unsuspecting, or plain nasty other motorist who won't yield on the narrow part of the trail! I reckon @aftCG would love capturing on video those particular special moments. 150 psi is nothing to sneer at - heck it could constitue a life saving reserve of compressed air for multiple purposes! Not to mention a great wake-up alarm clock?? Reminds me of my old army days. We had a trumpeter who on one bitter cold january 4 AM morning instead of going out and sounding the "Wake up" like every day, just opened one of our 80 bed bunk bedroom windows and sang it right there.. Suffice to say how many kicks he got in the @ss not to mention finding his trumpet mysteriously filled with spaghetti after breakfast, when he was supposed to present the honors to our battalion General. The sound was pretty crappy.. I had nothing to do with all of that..:augie ..but really enjoy my beauty sleep :toney And, I need to get up to speed on the Tide Pods, I totally missed that memo :photog
  14. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Really??!

1. I do, because at work I always have to, and getting tired of it and discovering some aspects of human nature!
    2. Love coffe in all it's forms, they should come up with an injection
    3. There are many forms of beauty, the ones related to physics and appearance are most elusive and least relevant
    4. Guess I'll never pick up my flying license... as for the rest, I already made all possible mistakes
    5. I don't have low self esteem, ever :lol3
    6. C'mon man where's the sense of AVDenture?
    Nothing is easy! Living is hard.
    round the block don and Xlratr like this.
  15. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Are you anywhere near Lodi valley (too tired to look now)? Those I really like..
    [​IMG]
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  16. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    “Slowdi “is about 2 hours up the road from here. All the same “valley”. Rumor has it they have a couple streetlights. Not sure if they paved the roads yet...
    Actually Lodi is one of the Central Valley towns you never hear in the news. A well kept secret.
    Dracula likes this.
  17. Xlratr

Xlratr Long timer

Oddometer:
    That the same Lodi John Fogerty sang about?
    I actually passed through there a long time ago. Didn't get stuck though ;-)
  18. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    #7 If it has tits or wheels is going to give you trouble.
  19. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, the same.
    Dracula likes this.
  20. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We'd assumed the Water got in after the guy had over-torqued it.
    He'd hit a Monsoon-type downpour on the way down to the Ferry.
    Thinking about it now, I suppose the Seal(s) must have been suspect beforehand.

We both commented on the design, with the integral Seals on the Bearings being the only line of defence.
    They're only designed to keep Grease in, not to keep Water out, as I understand it.

And don't get me started on what a palaver it is to get the rear Wheel out either . . . :baldy
    dtaylor and Dracula like this.