Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good God! What DO you drink? (alcohol not withstanding)
    Dracula likes this.
  2. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Water causes serious internal rusting, as we have seen few pages back. It has been explained by science :augie
    Mooney 78865 and Doc. like this.
  3. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Philosophically speaking, I agree, you almost seem ahead of @Mooney 78865 by .66 stoic "score points".. yet I still try to grasp how can you *truly* enjoy the benefit of abstinence from something you never learned the taste of.. :scratch I personally would try anything at least once, and started young:photog .. Ever had fried baby alligator ribs? You know how it tastes?:D
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  4. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have tried Coffee, and Tea, didn't like either of them.
    I do love the smell of freshly roasted Coffee, oddly!

As discussed a while back, I'm not one for drinking stuff I don't like just to 'fit in' with the herd, or to be 'sociable'!

I also love trying new things, nice to find something else to enjoy.

Water, Fruit Juice, Milk/Milkshakes, Squash, etc.
    I'm a cheap date!
    Not that I've ever been on one . . .

No problem, I wash it down with a squirt of ACF-50! :drink
    round the block don and Dracula like this.
  5. Dracula

Oddometer:
    OK Doc, I know you don't drink coffee, but for me, there are some things that just go well together..
    [​IMG]
    or maybe just try them with a glass of water.. (I remember this really cool place in a great city beautiful area, I hope they are still there)

As for 'socializing' I agree with you 100% - for me *this* is 'it'. I only congregate with people I feel like doing so... Which reminds me of this fine movie I watched again recently..
    [​IMG]
  6. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pastéis de Nata, love 'em!
    Not actually that popular with the Portuguese apparently (at least that's what I was told), more of a 'tourist' thing.

Italian Hot Chocolate is a good accompaniment for those, the stuff you can stand a Teaspoon up in. :raabia
    Dracula likes this.
  7. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never tried them. Never tried ear wax either.
    Dracula likes this.
  8. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I thought you were into British stuff ?!

:photog:lol3:jack
  9. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, yeah. But not ear wax....
    Dracula likes this.
  10. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I never thought that was even considered... Yuck!!
  11. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ear wax tastes like peppermint.
    Dracula likes this.
  12. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

I'll stick to peppermint!
    Dracula likes this.
  13. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    It tastes like chicken. Everything tastes like chicken if you're gullible enough.
    Roose97 and Dracula like this.
  14. m2mike

m2mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last year during my winter maintenance I noticed a crack on the RH saddlebag mount where the bracket behind the footpeg is welded to the tubing. So I removed it, sandblasted the crack area and re-welded it. I also looked closely at the LH mount and it looked good with no sighs of cracking. Last night I was working on the bike in the shop and I noticed a rust line on the LH mount in the same spot as it was on the other side. After removing it and cleaning it up I found this,
    PXL_20201128_015008091.jpg
    so it will get the clean up and weld treatment as well. It might be worth looking at, the rust line around the crack is what I noticed.
  15. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I will check mine.. That's not something most of us look for too often, if at all. This year I haven't been using the side cases much, and when I did it was not with a lot of weight either.. I do tend to grab and tug them solidly from time to time to ensure the bolts are still tightened.

I really wish sometimes I had at least a small welder machine (and knew how to use it).
  16. hipine

hipine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ugh. It will crack and crack again. Flattening a round tube is a horrible stress concentrator. We need to add a rib that’s nearly as tall as the tube is wide going all the way across the plate and extending more than 1.5 diameters along the tube length to continue the strength of the tubing into the bracket.
    Dave G.
    XT Traveler, Xlratr and Dracula like this.
  17. m2mike

m2mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even though I cleaned up the crack and built up around it with weld on the RH side I am sure the stress just transferred to the end of the new weld. I think I'll add a fish plate to this one, thanks for the recommendation.
    Dracula likes this.
  18. Dracula

Oddometer:
    What is the easiest way to learn basic, practical welding skills for DYI such as repairing or building a bike luggage rack, etc.. Or should I just forget about it as it's too dangerous?
    Is a small welder like one of these any good?
    https://fixitmanblog.com/small-welders/
  19. m2mike

m2mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I was an apprentice my classes including welding were through the local Community College. I thought they did a good job considering their were
    people in class that had been welding for years and others that had never touched a welder.
    Dracula likes this.
  20. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I've worked with welders when I helped in the past in a project such as build a motorcycle garage from scrap metal, but always only did the helper part. Didn't really seem like a lot when watching someone who knows how to do it. And I know that's quite a wrong assessment, it only "seems" easy. Vocational schools were a great way when I grew up to learn skills, as were clubs such as ham radio. I was shown few times how it's done, but then I taught (or rather practiced and perfected) myslef how to solder electronic circuits and wiring. I reckon with wtching a few examples I could get started in occasional welding projects.