1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Dracula

Dracula Moto Guzzi jockey Supporter

Oddometer:
    1,000 mile ride? That's like three tanks full.. you should have zero issues, unless you plan on riding some BDR or other rough roads and even then... As others mentioned, there are no weird fasteners on this bike, aside from the swing arm castellated nut. I carry way too many tools to make any recommendations. I mostly love carrying it for peace of mind, and rarely if ever pull the tool roll out while out riding, more often to help others.

The truly essential kit should contain a 12 VDC tire inflation compressor, a set of quality tire plug - string type - and the T handle tool for inserting these in the tire. A leatherman and a headband flashlight just in case you have an issue after dark. Other than that? A roll of tape, maybe few fuses, bunch of electrical zip ties.. you can keep adding but unless you have your kit already put together, the Stelvio is pretty bare bones metric everything. Some sockets up to 17 mm size, and Allen keys should suffice. The OEM kit I think already has a spark plug tool, but it's been very long since I looked at it. The front axle nut is 30 mm but there's one Stelvio inmate who makes a pretty neat and small one available here (or I believe at AF1 Racing).
    Jonnybeau and XT Traveler like this.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Duct tape, zip ties, JBWeld putty, tire plugs and 12V inflator are part of the toolkit on every bike I own. Beyond that come the more unique fasteners. I have a good selection of allen keys and already have a lightweight set of 3/8-drive sockets so I'll bring those along, as well as a jump-start pack. I'm expecting to need an 8 or 10mm wrench or M6 allen for adjustments but did not know if there was something else less common that I should pack. If I get tire damage bad enough that the wheel has to come off, I'll be calling a tow truck anyway so the wheel removal tools aren't required at this time.

I am planning to take a scenic route, probably ending up passing through the Ozarks on my way back to S. Louisiana so it will probably be more like 1300 miles - a nice distance for a solo weekend. Here's hoping the weather stays fine.
  3. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where in South Louisiana? I am in the Covington area.
    Bob
    Jonnybeau, Dracula and Mooney 78865 like this.
  4. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Now there will be two Stelvio in Louisiana!
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  5. Bonafide Bob

Oddometer:
    There are already three that I know of.

Bob
    Jonnybeau and Dracula like this.
  6. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Between Hammond and Baton Rouge. I haven't picked this one up yet so technically still the same number there was before.

Are there any good dealers in the area? There was one in BR about 10 years ago but they didn't last long. I thought NOLA had one once but I can't find them now. Not that I expect I'll really need to use them - I do all my own work on all my bikes and I expect the level of technical expertise on here will exceed that which I can expect from a typical dealer tech (in this area, anyway).
    Jonnybeau, Dracula and Bonafide Bob like this.
  7. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I reckoned you'd be much better informed than I .. :photog
    Bonafide Bob likes this.
  8. Bonafide Bob

Oddometer:
    I am lucky to have a friend and fellow Stelvio rider who is a certified mechanic to help guide me thru our Stelvio Tech days.

No dealer in the area, not that I would use them anyway. We do have Tech Days now and then to work on our Stelvio's.
    Bob
  9. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    4, 5 and 6mm allen wrenches on a T handle if possible. 10 mm socket. Tire plugs and a pump.
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  10. Cyclebruce

Cyclebruce A little north of Seattle Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks "Dracula!" Parts and oil are ordered. I'll post back to all when I finish the job...or ask any questions along the way...thanks again!
    Mooney 78865 and Dracula like this.
  11. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I probably have all that in my travel toolkit already, which will make things easy.
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  12. Gillmeister

Gillmeister Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone supply or direct me to the Aprilia part number for the seal and bush kit for the 2015 Stelvio front forks , its time for a tear down !!

Thanks
  13. Dracula

Oddometer:
    PXL_20210503_023815864.jpg PXL_20210503_023745235.jpg
    Was easier to go in the garage..

Edit: Is Marzocchi still in existence and in business? I haven't bothered looking for parts but just thinking ahead..
    Gillmeister and Jonnybeau like this.
  14. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Pleasure is mine. When you fill them up be sure to error on the lower side of oil level. Follow Andreani instructions. The most difficult part for me was getting the fork caps on and the nut tightened, to the fork dampening rod, with the spring compressed. I eventually I managed to make do using a larger open wrench to keep the spring compressed while I was able to thread and tighten the fork cap nut on, but could have used a third hand or a spring compression tool.. but it's doable if you are stubborn enough! (honestly I forgot all the details, it's been such a long time since my forks have been performing flawless after that upgrade). Do come back and post here for any thing giving you trouble.
    Mooney 78865 and Jonnybeau like this.
  15. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I am curious what you and the collective Stelvio brain trust believe to be the acceptable operational state of forks. I mean, if they're not leaking, and the dampening is a-OK, I'm mostly interested what you consider acceptable as play in the bushings and how can you test and feel for it. Mine aren't leaking, soak up bumps and occasional sharp and huge pot-holes I stupidly miss, but they do have a slight click/click when moved back/forth tugging at the front wheel along the line of the front axle, with bike on a scissor jack under the oil sump.
    Gillmeister likes this.
  16. Gillmeister

Gillmeister Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Drac. Appreciate it.
    Ok , my slant or opinion on upside down forks. They seem a lot more temperamental than the old style forks , they like fresh oil and seals changed as per their service intervals , and dont like to be left sitting , the seals seem to leak .
    The old days with the original style of forks you could let the oil go to cats pee and didnt seem to worry them too much but didn't have the weight , brakes etc of the new stuff, so I change all fluids whenever I can , to the point of stupidity.
    I am fitting new tyres soon, so will do steering head greasing adjusting , fork oil, seals , brake pads etc .
    As for the bushes I noticed an odd wear area on one bush last time so will check them and replace as necessary , might be bedded in by now and be ok but will have the bushes if needed.
    I checked for play when I removed the internals last time , clamped in a vice , seemed fine , but checked it where it would normally sit not fully extended, if that makes sense.
    Dracula likes this.
  17. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Occasionally, but this Guy is insistent on paying a reasonable labour rate for my work.

Is it definitely the Fork Legs, and not the Steering Head Bearings (they're notoriously under-greased from the Factory, just like the Shock Links).
  18. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whenever I take a set of Stelvio forks in to be serviced by my suspension Bloke he always says "These buggers need to fall off more." :D

Fact is that the top bushes get very little oil in *Normal* use. Throwing it on its side is actually beneficial for the bushes as they get a bit of slop-and-squirt in the process!

S'not a big deal really, he just makes up new ones as required. Doesn't cost much....
    Jonnybeau, River Rat, Dracula and 2 others like this.
  19. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting.
    I wonder if a extra drilling somewhere would help?
    I'll be rebuilding my original forks soon, I'll look into it.

Finally found somewhere that would make a pair of Springs for me, at a reasonable price (I'm using the originals in the Multi Strada Forks, and they're unobtanium, new or used).
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  20. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Ha! What a unique, useful perspective. Seems I do something right sometimes (out of pure luck)..
    [​IMG]