1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm betting that even Sade likes getting the business put to her on occasion.
    Gillmeister, Dracula and Dons1911 like this.
  2. Dracula

Dracula Moto Guzzi jockey Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah, just think perfekt TB sync, eh?
  3. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bugger me drunk! It’s getting more 1980’s here by the minute. Any second we’ll have Duran Duran charging over the horizon!
  4. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :jack

Maybe, but then you can ride it like that at all levels, from pottering gently around narrow leafy lanes, to seriously shredding your Tyres at a Track-Day. :thumb
    Jonnybeau and Dracula like this.
  5. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I never went to the track, but as far I understand it is smoothness that makes a rider fast. And of course, it makes sense.
  6. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Pete, what radio station or kind of music do you play in your shop?
  7. Doc.

Oddometer:
    That's what I was meaning Vic.
    You can be a smooth rider at all levels/speeds, from sunny Sunday cruising, to MotoGP God.
    The faster you go, the more important it gets to be smooth.
  8. Dracula

Oddometer:
    So one can be smooth with a rental and/or a stolen Stelvio! :lol3:photog:clap
    Mooney 78865, Jonnybeau and Doc. like this.
  9. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210506_135437_3.jpg IMG_20210504_123503_3.jpg
    Not sure where we were at last time I posted but we spent 5 days in Williamsburg then went to Gettysburg for 4 days, and are up in Bar Harbor Maine at the moment. We did manage to stop by Hershey PA and Salem MA, for a bit of diversion. We'll be heading for ST Ignace Michigan in a couple days to go to Mackinac island then do the UP of Michigan before heading south. Not sure where we will end up after that. Rumer has it there is a buffalo round up in Custer SD...
    I've been lurking on the forum a bit when I have a few minutes, nice to see new folks overwhelmed with all of the information!
    Looking forward to ridding the bike, contributing to the forum, and maybe planning a BDR!
    Dan
    Jonnybeau, Xlratr, pro69ss and 4 others like this.
  10. Dracula

Oddometer:
    How's the damn lobster, man? I haven't had a proper one in like, years.. oh and forgot this..
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  11. Cyclebruce

Cyclebruce A little north of Seattle Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks Dracula. I now have the wheel and mudguard off. Getting ready to pull the fork. A quick question on fork oil. I bought the recommended Ohlins #5 oil. Looks like it is 7.5 Weight SAE. I couldn't find an oil specification in my Stelvio literature. I see that Flying Frisian used 10W (page 1751). Just wanted to run a sanity check. I am a 225 lb rider (and sometimes with gear). Does the Ohlins 01309-01 sound OK from all your experience? Do I need to go to 10 weight?
  12. Reddog*

Reddog* Meh.........

Oddometer:
    7.5W Motul or more precisely 50/50 10W and 5W worked well in my factory forks.
    I weight a bit more then you. :D
  13. Cyclebruce

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  14. xcountry41

xcountry41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found reference to 7.5 wt somewhere last season when I changed my seals. I used Liqui Moly 7.5wt fork oil ordered from Fort Nine.com you will need two litres.
  15. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I weigh 300 lbs all geared up, even more depending where I stopped for lunch. That oil is working fine for my Andreani upgraded forks. When ordering Andreani kit - they ask for your weight and ride style - so as to provide you matching cartridge dampening valves (if any customization they do) and the correct spring rate.
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  16. Doc.

Oddometer:
    I prefer mine on the firm side of comfy, I used 10W in mine.
    I'm around 190lb/85kg in my kit.

The Multi Strada Forks I have on now will need rebuilding soon.
    I'm going to get the Stanchions re-chromed like my originals, so I'll be going back to the Stelvio Forks again.
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  17. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I am not at the expert level to tell how much oil viscosity influences different forks, and so this may sound as a bunch of BS blabber. But I reckon all things being same for comparison purposes (i.e. comparing OEM forks with other exact spec'd OEM forks and not Andreani), when each set has been filled with *different* oil viscosity, the one with thicker oil will have more dampening and be more "sluggish" in following the fine terrain corrugations. In the case of Andreani upgrade which I did - I used what the experts had recommended for the specific application and rider weight and ride style / terrain. And it works much better for me than the OEM forks, even 60,000 miles later. But while I had occasionally hit sharp and deep potholes, I'm not jumping rock ledges in Arches National Park, either.

Edit: I wonder what viscosity oil does this guy use in his forks, and what he drinks?
  18. Cyclebruce

Oddometer:

Here’s a question for the community: how did you get this pinch bolt out and back in without removing the tank? My 6mm socket and wrench combo is too long....what worked for you?
    8CBF9458-D845-4BA4-ACDB-EAFD24832A84.jpeg
  19. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pull the tank. It's only a couple of fasteners. Much easier than farting about with it still installed.
    Gillmeister and Dracula like this.
  20. Reddog*

Reddog* Meh.........

Oddometer:
    Just used a L key.
    HarveyMushman, Xlratr and Dracula like this.