1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Dracula

Dracula Moto Guzzi jockey Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever you're comfortable with. I have a smaller ratcheting wrench and allen bit. And I was able to get the (small lbs/inch) torque wrench in there as well, iirc. For what is worth, prior removing I also marked my fork tubes with paint at the places they met the clamps, so as to replace at same exact spot.
    Reddog* likes this.
  2. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen that video so many times and I still get scared shitless when he rides off that roof. Complete lunacy.
    Dracula likes this.
  3. Dracula

Oddometer:
    He's nuts. Just looking down from the edge of that roof he's on and I'd be fainting. One job I started but did not last long in, was installing alarm systems in Manhattan, on mostly business sky scraper type buildings we were then working on. It involved being on the roof top by the elevator shaft room, pulling and tugging hundreds of yards of electrical cables from all the way down at first floor level. Talk about 'elbow grease' haha.. But looking down from near the edge of the roof tops, with no guard rails, was really shocking. Some are just cut from a different mold all together.
  4. hipine

hipine Follow at your own risk... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, every time. At some point you gotta manage it without a forum.

-Dave G.
    Dracula likes this.
  5. Cyclebruce

Cyclebruce A little north of Seattle Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a good tip! I went digging through my bicycle tools and found a small torque wrench (max 20 Nm) with a 6mm socket that works. One strut is apart and drained. Now putting back together.

I can't find a torque value for the fork bottom bolt. its an M10 X 30 bolt as shown in the picture (from Flying Frisian). Does anyone know the correct torque spec for this bolt?

Damper Bolt.jpg
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  6. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just use the Torque figure quoted for any other M10 Bolts, going into Aluminium Alloy parts.

Looks to me like there's room for it as it is, how about turning the Bars fully to the left, any more room?
    Once the Bolt's loosened by half a turn or so, you should be able to wind it out by hand, using just the Allen Socket.
    You only need undo it a couple of turns if you're just removing the Fork Leg.
    On the Lower Yoke (Triple-Tree), loosen the Bolts a couple of turns each, then gently tap a flat-blade Screwdriver into the Gap, to release the grip.
    The Fork leg will drop out under it's own weight then.
    Jonnybeau and Dracula like this.
  7. Dracula

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-5-8_11-0-26.png

upload_2021-5-8_11-1-16.png
    I recommend investing in the service manual, you will find it a very useful reference. Available at this store and elsewhere.
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  8. Cyclebruce

Oddometer:
    Hi Dracula. Yes, I have the Service manual and referred to the pictures you have shown. I found errors in the "Front Fork" data provided above. I google translated the Italian descriptions. The manual has the fastener positions incorrectly swapped. Also, my Fork bottom bolt is an M10X30 (which is correct in the parts catalogue), not an M8. Which has me questioning the 25 Nm torque value callout in the Service Manual.

So off I went looking for an M10X30 torque value. I scanned through the service manual and found a range from the 20's all the way up to 50 Nm. I don't want to strip the leg...so on Doc's advice I went out into the internet universe...this is what I found:

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=10638.0

I plan to use the 24 Ft Lbs value. (32.54 Nm) If anyone thinks I'm not close, let me know...
    Torque Specs.png
  9. Dracula

Oddometer:
    To be frankly honest, part of what makes maintaining this machine very confusing for someone of non mechanical brethren remains the factory provided documentation which has many errors and omissions. As I am looking at the fork diagram above I now even notice incorrect depiction of the 'pinch bolts' let alone the ginormous torque listed.

When looking at the fork, the pinch bolts (labeled 1) are in reality facing up - not lateral as in the diagram. No idea if that was the case on older Stelvio, so as to 'excuse' this otherwise still incorrect drawing. And they should only be tightened to 7 lb/ft or else the fork leg will crack.

Which eventually leads to the assumption they simply swapped accidentally the lb/ft values between screws (1) and (2) listed them bass ackwards in that diagram! :baldy

If I were you, I'd do the tightening of drain bolts at 18 lb/ft, should be more than enough.

Edit: When it comes time, be particularly very very careful with the gearbox, CARC and oil pan drainage plugs torques. It's no joke, those will strip in a fraction of a second! DAMHIK

The only way I'd excuse such lame poor control of documentation would be if it were done by some sexy quirky Italian ladies whose minds were anywhere else but at the 'technical manuals' they were redacting.
    Jonnybeau and Reddog* like this.
  10. Cyclebruce

Oddometer:
    I’ll give the 18 ft lbs a go. Thanks :clap
    XT Traveler, Reddog* and Dracula like this.
  11. Doc.

Oddometer:
    That diagram isn't from a Stelvio Vic, no idea what it is, but they're not even USD Forks.
    Maybe from a V7?
  12. Xlratr

Xlratr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hhmmm. The last time I used a torque wrench was 18 years ago when I rebuilt my Laverda engine. I would not dream of using a torque wrench on fasteners outside of the engine. Way too dangerous to depend on some manual. Can't you just feel when it's right?
  13. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Eighteen years ago I had no idea what a torque wrench is! Most things I know today in the matter of Motorcycle Maintenance (more or less Zen) I learned right here.. on this fine Moto Guzzi thread..
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  14. Dracula

Oddometer:
    It is from Stelvio maintenance manual! PDF, believe it or not..
  15. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Green

[​IMG]
  16. Dracula

Oddometer:
    A peaceful afternoon (don't mind the pistol/rifle shooting, that's normal around here)
    Jonnybeau and Xlratr like this.
  17. Doc.

Oddometer:
    I can, as can many others, but there are plenty that can't.
    There are times when I'll use a Torque Wrench, but still do it by feel.
    Do the first Bolt, note the torque where I feel it's right, then do all the others to that torque.
    Usually when there's no figure listed.
    You also have to allow for lubed threads, be it Oil, Grease, Loctite, Anti Sieze product, etc.

Really?
    Why am I not surprised . . . :fpalm

The second one is from a Stelvio, wonder what the first one is?

Edit: Found it, they're Norge Forks.
    [​IMG]

Close enough I guess, they're from a 1200 . . . :jack
  18. Doc.

Oddometer:
    Late model Indicators (in the Side Panels).
    I take it they all end up rattling around, as the little Hook/Tab wears away at the edge of the opening?

Do you really have to dismantle the Panel to get to the one Screw that holds the Indicator in place?
    Those fragile plastic posts look like they'll get a bit chewed up removing the Star Washers . . . :hmmmmm
    Jonnybeau likes this.
  19. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I have not checked on mine since last year when removing the tank was almost a daily routine. But usually all I had to deal with was unhooking the bulb connection.
    On the other hand, the 'NTX' panels on mine have long lost the supporting 'ear' plastic eyelet that keeps the lower part secure to bike frame. If they flap in the wind, I guess it's the true Goose nature. :lol3
    Jonnybeau, coast range rider and Doc. like this.
  20. Doc.

Oddometer:
    Yes, got the Panels off, just the Electrical Plug to undo, but I want to cure the flapping Indicators.