Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Dracula

Dracula On a Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think just about 5000 rpm @ 80 MPH in 6th. The sweet spot and not a bit over :evil
  2. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really feel the Stelvio is under-geared, I'm continually looking for a 7th gear.
    I guess I'll get used to it, but it could easily drop 500 rpm or more without breaking a sweat.
    Reddog* likes this.
  3. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I can never ride it gently and slow, it immediately puts me in the aggressive mode. The only other bike that did that was VFR 800 and in a way they are similar in character. Most powerful I had was the FJR 1300 but a totally different experience, was more like holding the trigger of a laser gun vs. these which are akin to a machine gun, you feel everything with that much more detail. lol.
  4. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
    That's interesting.
    Gearing commander says the Stelvio is doing 17.7mph/1000rpm.
    If their calculation is correct that would mean aboot 4,500 rpm at 80mph.

One of the things I like about the Yammie S10 is the nice tall 6th gear
    which gives a 4,000 rpm cruising rev. at 80.

There is so much I like about both bikes I might end up flipping a coin.
  5. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's pretty close, mine shows 4K rpm at an indicated 75 mph, GPS corrected to 72 mph.

I'm sure the Yamaha is a fine machine, though by most accounts it's a bit appliance like. The Stelvio probably requires a little more owner involvement, however it will reward your attention for sure. Plus the Stelvio is so freaking easy to service.

After putting 42k miles on my 2013 Stelvio, I have no desire to go back to a GSA.
    Dracula and KevinMcCall like this.
  6. Doc.

Oddometer:
    Thought that sounded a tad high, checked on the way home from work this morning, 4500 rpm at 80mph, as Bobobob stated.

Also noticed yesterday after playing with the shift-light setting, my Tacho Needle doesn't sit right on Zero at rest, it's at the first graduation mark.
  7. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:

I changed my shift light to 8k, went outside to check the needle and mine is sitting at -0-
  8. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bobobob, if you're trying to decide between the s10 and the stelvio there really isn't much in it - buy an s10 and you'll be happy so long as you don't ride a stelvio?

Both are equally capable on / off road. Riding them back to back I felt the stelvio was sharper / more agile +/- I sat in it rather than on it. Up on the pegs, they felt very similar but the stelvio changed direction a bit quicker flicking between rocks. With equal riders, they both went about the same pace on the dirt but the stelvio was marginally quicker on the twisty black stuff ( identical scorpion rallies)

The s10 is the smart choice, the stelvio the heart choice. The bloke who owned the s10 wanted a stelvio, but not enough to sell his well set up s10 and throw a few $K at the upgrade.
  9. Dracula

Oddometer:
    The others are right I think I overstated it. My tach is currently covered by GPS mostly. But frankly I don't pay much attention to RPM at all and just ride it based on feel. And I think that's what this bike is all about. Not numbers or dollars :) I only have it for two months and about 5000 miles, check my signature thread if interested in my history how I got it.
  10. Canuck1969

Canuck1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get yourself Guzzidiag and the cables and re calibrate that speedo. Mine is now within 1/2 KPH of my GPS. Best thing I have done. No more ass puckering as I pass a cop only to remember my speed is less than indicated.
  11. Dracula

Oddometer:
    There is always an error as the tire wears out sometimes quite as significant as close to 5 mph. Depends on tire also; Heidenau for example seems to have a large diameter change between new and completely worn out.
  12. Canuck1969

Oddometer:
    Agreed, however I have over 10,000km on my PR4 and the speedo has not changed its accuracy. Still dead on. If it means I have to update the corrections every year or so not a big issue.
  13. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Yup. The PR4 is a more uniform wearing tire. Just look at Heidenau rear profile, it starts with a huge crest of rubber. When I replaced the worn out one it felt as if the bike could stand on it's own, that square it was.
    upload_2015-12-3_10-57-0.png
  14. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:

What does that do to the odometer? When I changed the speedo on my speed triple, the odo started showing less miles than actual, as compared to my GPS. Some say that is being dishonest when I go to sell the bike. Just wondering if the same thing happens with the Stelvio
  15. Doc.

Oddometer:
    It's not going to make that much difference is it?
    A few hundred miles (and I doubt it would be anything like that) is nothing on these Engines after all! :thumb

Interesting, I'm the opposite at the moment, makes me quite relaxed.
    Maybe it's because it's still fairly 'new' to me, and the biggest, most expensive (parts and potential repairs-wise) Bike I've ever bought in 37 years?

I also have a very high level of 'Mechanical Sympathy', always have had.
    I had no qualms about caning my little VFR400R at every opportunity, but I can't bring myself to do the same with the Stelvio just yet.
    The cam/Tappet thing is always in the back of my mind too, which doesn't help, but I think that's fading a bit with each ride . . .

In other news ~
    Ticked another item off my 'To Do' list this morning.
    It's been bugging me the way water from puddles get thrown squarely at your feet, so I've done something about it . . .
    FootFlap2.jpg FootFlap1.jpg FootFlap.jpg

Found a piece of Plastic with the perfect curvature on it, cut out the two sides from a pattern I made with card, and Epoxied them to a curved section of Alloy box-section, which was part of the same item the Plastic came from, could have been made for it!

Made a couple of angle Brackets, and bolted them to the Sump-Guard.
    Ran out of short M5 Screws, hence the two empty holes.
    Had to cut out a small section from the R/H side of the Guard to position the R/H one the same as the left.

Might need to trim them down a little, although if they do touch down they should just wear away quickly until they're the perfect profile.

Will let you know how they perform, when we get some more rain!
    elfrider likes this.
  16. Canuck1969

Oddometer:
    Can't happen, at least according to the manual. The Stelvio has a separate odometer gear. It is in the gearbox. Separate from the Speedo. Even without the adjustment, my odo was always off compared to my GPS, not different after the correction.

Dishonest is getting a new dashboard and the dealer is not able to reset the ODO to the original amount. I still have a brand new Dashboard because I will not change it for a little bit of condensation.

upload_2015-12-3_13-51-50.png
  17. pauldaytona

pauldaytona Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The gearbox only has a neutral switch that is the thing in the picture.
    The odo/speedo get their number from the abs unit or if no abs from sensor at rear wheel centre.
    That goes in the ecu, that sends it over the CNS bus to the dash. Because it goes over the ecu, and they made a setting into it for the multiplication, it is adjustable.

I had a new dash and wanted my old value back, I used a tiny programm that makes the right signal(on guzzidiag download page), coupled it to the input from the sensor and there it was reading max speed on the dash, just wait until it has done enough miles and stop. Not to far, there is no return.
    Dracula likes this.
  18. Canuck1969

Oddometer:
    Damn Italians....apparently an odometer gear is not what you think it is...........thanks Paul
  19. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I meant a very spirited ride, more throttle, strong braking. But I haven't managed Dr At's performance to jump it off road as such. I never thought (and still don't believe) riding sportier can cause engine or transmission harm through higher revving and quicker shifts. I rode the GS last evening and it's like night and day, changes the whole attitude and your blood pressure. That is what cruising on a sewing machine feels like :)

On a separate note I can lock my Stelvio rear wheel and no ABS kicks in. Happened today when I hit some gravel at an intersection stop. The yellow ABS light was not on and I did not turn off ABS on purpose. I need to find a gravely / grass area so I can fall easy and test some more :) How sensitive is the Stelvio ABS anyway?
  20. Dracula

Oddometer:
    To be the Devil's advocate, does it turn over zero?