Moto Guzzi Stelvio?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Truckin_Thumper, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    I have yet to see a thread on one of these.....but then again,I was just allowed in this section :lol3

I saw one of these at a dealer a month or two ago and thought it was pretty cool.
    Outside of the neat factor, how well is it made?
    Power? It is a 1200
    Comfie?

Whatcha got?

[​IMG]
  2. FrostedFlake

FrostedFlake Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Oddometer:
    There's a long merged thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113158

Doesn't get alot of action, but there's plenty of info in it.
    I've had mine for about 6 months and am having a blast. Some minor quirks, but overall solid in my opinion. Definitely an attention getter.
  3. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    How does it compare to the GS(A)?
  4. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I had one for a week and put 3,000 miles on it. Two up, dirt in Death Valley, treated it like a sport bike..Brembo brakes rule, overloaded the rear rack, plugged a tire and returned it to Piaggio completely filthy. :lol3

Ride report is in my sigline..The Urgency of Now. Clicky clicky.

It's been awhile since I rode it and even longer since I've ridden the GS, so my thoughts in the RR are probably more valid than anything I could come up with right now.

:beer
  5. Forseti

Forseti Long timer

Oddometer:
    Less dirt worthy than the GSA... partially due to the size of the rear rim limiting choices in tires to street oriented trail capable rubber.

I think it handles the road with a more sporting attitude and is a more visceral ride.
    That being said... it does quite well on dirt roads/ decent trails but stay away from anything single track or muddy.
    Real comfy for extended rides and a hoot to ride. 12 to 14 hrs a day without a problem.

I love it.
  6. FrostedFlake

Oddometer:
    I'll be honest, haven't had an opportunity to get it very dirty yet - a few forest roads is all so far. Had a Tiger before and put it through the paces in Big Bend, Baja, Cloudcroft - and, as well as it performed and as much fun as I had, it still was a 500 pound pig offroad. I suspect the Stelvio will be the same, but that's fine by me - as long as it will take me wherever I want by road, and survive any shortcut I might decide to take at a more reasonable pace, I'm happy.

Now, as for roadworthiness - I really like the Stelvio. The seat and I aren't getting along after 300 miles or so, but otherwise, very cool. I like the riding position, the V-twin motor, the looks, and - more honesty - the price if we're comparing to GS or GS-A's. I'm fond of the Beemers too, but man, I saved a ton on a leftover '09 Guzzi.
  7. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Road test - magazine version.
    :tb
    6 Speed - what I wouldn't give to have that in my Uly.
  8. Sabre

Sabre Prêt? Allez! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey TT, did you see the review in Rider magazine?

I've drooled over one at the dealer. They like the bike and so do I. Not quite as much grunt as the beemer? I don't need it so I don't care. I know some folks will want to trash these a bit for not being as dirt-worthy as the GSA, but it was never meant to be. My Tiger isn't, either, but I love it just the same.

Plus, it's damned sexy, but that's just me. Hell, some folks think that Stroms look good! :lol3
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I don't know about that..we were two-up in Death Valley and GS riders were falling down and punching holes in valve covers. They were shaking their heads when they saw us. :lol3
  10. Yehaman

Yehaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have had mine (BigSey) for a little over a year and she is fantastic. Super comfy, handles like a dream and can handle any chopped up twisty road or fire road, hard pack and you wouldn't even know it. Does great on the highway too.

It's had a few minor issues, but Guzzi has stood behind since new. Only gripe, I have is range but then again unless you plunk down 21k for a GSA your gonna have to stop for gas every 150-180 miles.

And torque you ask....phenomenal. She is a blast to ride, and a year and a half later I still grin ear to ear everytime I ride.

Now, gonna leave work..go get her...and then surf some asphalt....

lata
  11. Forseti

Forseti Long timer

Oddometer:
    I disagree with this... The Stelvio is every bit as quick as the Bmw. The power delivery is different but slower??? ummm.... nope. Plus it handles better on tarmac than the BMW does.. in my opinion of course.
  12. Forseti

Forseti Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried putting the front of the seat one setting higher than the back?
    This removes the tendency to slide forward and the tug on the tender bits... made all the difference for me.
  13. FrostedFlake

Oddometer:
    I did - something I learned from my Tiger. It does help, but on longer rides, I still get the dead arse after awhile. Probably not as much the bike's fault as my anatomy. :tush Ironically, I think the stock seat is amazing around town and short trips, the shape and cover material are first rate.
  14. Sabre

Sabre Prêt? Allez! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the beauty of all this...you get to disagree with some stupid magazine! :clap

Given the choice, I'd pick the Stelvio without even stopping to think.
  15. *thomas*

*thomas* *thomas*

Oddometer:
    The stelvio NTX has a less wide rear rimm in order to accept 150 tires, the 'normal' stelvio has a 180 rear tire...
  16. StelvioGT

StelvioGT Ride!

Oddometer:
  17. Boxerlove

Boxerlove Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. ak_flyfisher_ak

ak_flyfisher_ak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been readin' up &
    :tb

Hope to be able to get a test ride in when I'm in the lower 48 in a couple'a months.
  19. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know there are a few Guzzi riders here, who is planning to be in John Day, Oregon next weekend for the national rally? Should be a great time to check out all the Guzzi's. I hope to be there by Friday night.:clap
  20. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should be arriving in John Day on Thursday morning. There will be two Stelvios there. An Adventure and a standard along with a Griso, several 750 Breva models and a Vintage from Piaggio plus another model being ridden in by the dealer in Spokane. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate!