Moto Guzzi Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Buckaroo Banzai, Feb 8, 2012.

1. StittWall

StittWall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its simply lovely Charlie!!!!
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  2. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Just wonderful!
  3. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    Before:
    V7 Sport before.jpg
    Scoozi, joe cool, TonyKZ1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still lack some parts for my ‘07 Calfornia Vintage Leggera project. The handlebars, crashbars, and taillight frame are still not here, but it hasn’t stopped me from messing with it. Since last report, I have removed the front crashbars and their attendant leg shields, I installed a Black Eagle (all black) seat, and I did some suspension tuning. The comfy fully equipped stock CalVin suspension improved by an order of magnitude with the weight reduction. I vastly reduced the shock spring preload and dialed in the rebound damping. Moving to the front, I left rebound damping at 5 clicks out from max, but decreased compression damping to 8 clicks from max. The result was a plush ride that did not pitch around at all. It suddenly feels like a modern, high performance ride...despite the use of components that have 29k miles on them. In fact, the only thing that held it back were the squared-off Shinko tires (actually remarkably good tires and a great value). This got me motivated to switch out to the new Pirelli Sport Demons I recently purchased. The rear is on and the front will go on today. In my next report, I’ll let you know my impressions. For now, I’ll let you make your own mind up on the looks. I like it, but I’m smitten by these bikes...

855B7D55-9B46-4181-A17F-836BD6C7C832.jpeg
    9E454124-6D38-4AF5-8D66-CC7101140903.jpeg

Please excuse the silly position of the mirrors in the shop photo. Those beach bars are so wide that I have to turn the mirrors up to get through the shop door! I can’t wait to get those Stone handlebars...they’re over 3” narrower and leave your wrists in a more neutral position.
    sjc56, motrhead, BadKarma and 4 others like this.
  5. DeSelbyofDalkey

DeSelbyofDalkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not seen any V65 Larios, so here ya go:

IMG_3424 copy.JPG
    IMG_3426 copy.JPG
    IMG_3427 copy.JPG
    flei, duc13, joe cool and 13 others like this.
  6. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m still waiting for a couple of parts for my California Vintage “Leggera” project, but I thought I’d take some glamour shots when the light was good yesterday. The Pirelli Sport Demons are really fantastic tires...the best I’ve tried on a Vintage. Pity they don’t last longer, but I’m going to enjoy them while I can. The overly wide pullback handlebars remain the biggest obstacle to really great handling. The leverage makes it tough to make subtle steering changes. Also, I found the sweet-spot for tire pressure: 32 psi front, 38 psi rear (recommended by Todd at GuzziTech). This gives the best combination of turn-in, stability, and linear steering. I’ll probably continue to use Michelin Activs on the touring Vintage, but the Pirellis make the “Leggera” a great scratcher on backroads.

Sorry that this story is taking so long to finish. I haven’t had to wait this long for parts for some time...even the Volkswagen project is waiting on parts. For now, these photos will give you a rough idea of what I’m going for:

22421E79-479F-4566-9388-D5FACF65F559.jpeg

84218185-30AB-4345-B351-080812134239.jpeg

072B8D07-3350-49D4-A4E5-D4176ED315CF.jpeg
    AZbiker, gkaan, motocopter and 5 others like this.
  7. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    I bought this 9.7 original milage 1987 LeMans 1000 IV SE about four month ago. This bike was sitting for the last 10 years, so it needed a lot of servicing and TLC to get it back into running condition. I finished with the last project I had on the list this morning, which was to replace the front fairing. The original plastic fairing had several long stress cracks around the lower fairings mounting bolt, and I was lucky enough to find an original new factory fairing for this bike at a German Moto Guzzi dealer. I installed the fairing this morning, which took longer then expected..... I had to drill out the turn signals mounting holes, which was stressful! I envisioned, while drilling into this 33 year old plastic part, that a new crack could form any second....., but it didn't! :) I finally took this bike out on a two hour ride this afternoon, and this LeMans rode really nice for being a 33 year old bike. The engine has some nice torque, since the original owner spend some $$$ and replaced the factory rods with Carrillo rods, amongst other engine upgrades. I did noticed that the new fairing is not a perfect fit...... (story of my life)..... One side of the fairing seems to warp a little down, which makes the instrument cluster look misaligned. I hope that the new fairing will maybe align itself over time, or I will need to make adjustments with a couple of spacers. But, for all intended purposes, this bike is finally done!

fullsizeoutput_23f70.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_23f7e.jpeg

Another old homestead that will soon meet its fate with a bulldozer........
    fullsizeoutput_23f85.jpeg

RCMLtQP5Ruqa1pyeEgM98g.jpg

Nice seeing no more cracks around the lower mounting bolt...... :)
    fullsizeoutput_23f5e.jpeg
  8. Dave Swanson

Dave Swanson Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just finished a major refresh of a 77 Lemans I bought a year ago. Unfortunately with the riding season coming to a close and being 5 weeks post hip replacement the road test will have to wait until next year. It runs great on the fuel bottle though. IMG_7597.JPG
    danketchpel, tanukkki, Mane and 31 others like this.
  9. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is simply stunning! :clap
    Dave Swanson likes this.
  10. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could look at that gorgeous LeMans ALL day :thumb
  11. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Caught a mistake on a TV show last night. I was watching Endeavor, a show set in England in 1966 (this episode had a back plot of celebrating the 900th anniversary of the Norman invasion). One shot showed a Guzzi twin parked, which of course had to be 1967 or later, right?
    radmann10 and mikeysduck like this.
  12. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely the best colour combo....:-)

B40B2AEB-71DE-4936-A945-541183EF2FB9.jpeg
  13. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Agree.

Looks even better "in the flesh." :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill
  14. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    Travis' is probably the most rare color on the V7 Sports, a solid red. Completely different than the garnet metallic on the one I restored.
  15. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Guilty, Your Honor, of first-degree colorblindness. :fpalm

Lordy. Shameful. I really thought, Charlie, that you had been fine tuning his in appearance and running.

While not much of a matter in defense, mitigation, or extenuation, I spent the last 18 hours in bed worrying I had C19, and posted that while a resident of the state of confusion. :augie

Feel fine this a.m., FWIW, and see that those quite obviously are two different colors. I like them both. :clap

You, Sir, are the Master of the Loop!

Bill
  16. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    Saturday, some friends and I went to southwest Virginia and picked up this lot.
    Guzzi Hauling 11142020 003.JPG Guzzi Hauling 11142020 004.JPG
    and this very nice Ambassador.
    Pat's stuff 031.JPG
    It all belongs to my friend Pat, who can no longer ride and is planning to move soon. Her Ambassador will be repaired and serviced, then sold. Some of the proceeds will go toward the resurrection of her late husband Chuck's Ambassador, which was rear-ended about 20 years ago and was never repaired. This is it's present state:
    Pat's stuff 003.JPG
    In the stash of parts is a spare frame and everything needed to make it happen, except time.
    Pat's stuff 004.JPG
  17. StittWall

StittWall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pats Ambassador is one of the best looking of all time. Tell her I said hello!, haven't seen her in a while. Probably since the last Buena Vista Rally.
    BadKarma and Iron Cross Junction like this.
  18. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have a recommendation for a Guzzi final drive shop. I’m interested in a 7:33 gear set on one of my ‘07 California Vintage’s and need some advice on installers. Please chirp in with any good experiences...
  19. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m always looking at MG’s and really like the Breva, 11’s and 12’s...that said, I’ve also heard that the California models from the early 2000’s can be a fairly sporty two up touring platform. As luck would have it, I’ve stumbled across a very clean 04 Cali Touring model with very low miles and I’m wondering what to expect from this bike.

Not really in love with the teardrop tank and the stepped seat, not to mention the floorboards... can anything be done about those three items? I’d really like to end up with a bike much more standard in terms of seating, tank, and rider foot pegs.
  20. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BadKarma, go back to page 37/post 736 and see what MotoMatt5 did with a Jackal.

Sarah