Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Did I miss a memo on filling the bevel drive to 150ml instead of the 180 the service manual calls for? Saw it in this video about 1 min in.
  2. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I didn't follow the link, but do you have oil coming out your breather? If not, then you did the right thing.

If you do, then yeah, next time put a tiny bit less in.
  3. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I change my rear drive gear oil I think I'll just measure how much drains out and replace that amount.
    tsak8 and Kevm like this.
  4. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    the problem is those big dumbo aluminum cases make it hard for a short fat old man to get his leg over the seat. same reason I didn't buy a new Stelvio when they started offering them only with the cases. Guzzi should have two case options.
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just mount like a horse.
    Dracula, SocalRob and Night_Wolf like this.
  6. Bradbm

Bradbm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bross - I was travelling though your home town over the weekend with my twin brother (me on the V85 and him on a Griso 1200 SE). Stopped at Nk'mp to camp Friday night then on to Montana and back through the Kootenays. Nice lunch at Jojo's both there and back.

The V85 was awesome the entire trip. By way of background, I'm 40 years old and am lucky to have a 1200 griso SE and tuono as well as the V85. Previous adventure bikes have included the Stelvio, KTM 1190 adventure and, lately, a 2017 Ducati Multistrada Enduro. I stray from Guzzi every so often but always come back - there just isn't anything like a Guzzi twin; everything else is just ends up feeling soulless and bland. I ride mostly tarmac with occasional gravel roads and like to ride at a sporty pace. While my previous mounts have all had heaps of power, the v85 achieves a better balance, in my opinion, with overall weight, seat height and handling. The only place I felt power was a little lacking was on fast overtakes going uphill in mountainous terrain; with the other bikes all it would take is a quick twist of the throttle, whereas I had to gear down and plan a little more carefully with the V85. Mind you this was passing vehicles travelling at 130 kph. Roll on power at speeds of 100 to 120 kph is satisfying and more than adequate.

The tradeoff for less power is significantly less weight and superior ease of handling at a standstill and when underway. The most amazing aspect of this bike is by far the road handling, which is the best of all the bikes I've owned - neutral and supremely confidence inspiring. This is a bike you can push in the corners with total confidence (BTW: I've not scraped the pegs even once after setting the preload appropriately and replacing the stock footpegs with pivot pegz; I weigh 180 lbs and am 5'10"). In fact, I enjoy riding this bike through the twisties more than any of my other bikes.

The suspension may not be ohlins semiactive whatever, but it is much better than portrayed in many reviews. ZERO preload was dialled into the fronk forks and the rear shock when I took ownership of the bike, and I see from pictures posted on this forum and in reviews that many owners have not bothered to set their suspension up properly; it's no wonder the ride is harsh for some. Once set, the ride is supple but firm - good for crisp handling yet enough to soak up otherwise jarring bumps in the road. I have Matris fork cartridges and shock on my Griso and do not feel compelled at this point to do anything about the suspension on the V85.

Niggles? Very few. My front tire has the bounce others have described between 60 - 70 kph. I have played around with the rebound damping and this has improved it a bit, but next I will try replacing the front tire, as this has worked for others. I've also noticed that some of the red paint on the passenger grab rail wore off where it contacted my Hepco-Becker (Ortlieb) dry duffel. Not exactly robust, but the fit and finish otherwise is superb.

Anyways, if you are on the fence about this bike, don't be - it is awesome.

Here's a shot from St Mary Montana after finishing the Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park. Sorry for the poor resolution.

OWfpvQRFSViL7KzHXXFQLg.jpg
    And another on the Going to the Sun Road.

Za0o7JVqRk+bZOAnq0cYcw.jpg
    Dracula, Lav1200, SocalRob and 15 others like this.
  7. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    You mean?
  8. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Curious about your pivot pegs. Is that a comfort issue?
  9. Bradbm

Bradbm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the bigger peg size mostly, but the ability to pivot whilst standing greatly improves comfort in that position. The ends taper nicely too, which helps with ground clearance when cornering. I just bought the ones for the Stelvio. Fit perfectly.
    Jayell likes this.
  10. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    The reason I brought it up is that this rider seems to say that the factory has changed the recommendation officially so I was curious if anyone else had heard that. Dropping to 150 would probably negate the instructions on checking level where it says you should see fluid right up to the edge of the filler hole. No leaks from my bike atm.
  11. Torquemada

Torquemada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a dealer service notice with Moto Guzzi letterhead that was posted to the Moto Guzzi V85 FB group that indicated a refill amount of 160 due to the residual amount left after draining the initial factory fill.
  12. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Otter, you did miss the memo. This subject has been beaten to death on the V85TT FB group.

The factory is recommending the refill at 160ml, rather than 180ml as spec'd in the manual. The 150ml referred to in the video is incorrect.
    Kevm and Torquemada like this.
  13. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Ahh well I have abandoned FB altogether so never would have seen that. Good to know, thanks.
  14. Headless In Tacoma

Headless In Tacoma I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Oddometer:
    Odd bit of trivia

I had my suspension setup by a local shop and the tech mention that the rear is pretty spongy (he almost maxed the preload but to me the bike was about 1000% better than stock settings). He mentioned that a Ohlins or a Penske would help quite abit with that. While I know they were going to for a sale like any business would but I do trust their diagnoses since they have setup an number of my bikes with excellent outcomes.

I asked to get a quote on an Ohlins rear shock and they contacted their local Ohlins rep. According to their rep they do not make shocks for the V85tt which surprised me since MG has it in their catalog. I relayed as must to the shop service writer and the follow up from Ohlins is that some euro bike manufactures like MG and Ducati have special deals with Ohlins so the shocks are only available to them. Seems that even the reps cannot see them in the inventory.
  15. Torquemada

Torquemada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s here but it’s back ordered. ETA November.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scr...tegory=3305&description=V85+Performance+Parts
  16. dedave

dedave Gold in dem dare hills

Oddometer:
    You may want to try Ohlinspro in the vender thread.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ohlins-sale-and-super-special-promo.922236/page-35
  17. Bradbm

Bradbm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My preload is also maxed and I’m 180 lbs without gear. I presume a heavier spring would work too.
  18. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    I've found that the simplest way to do a Guzzi rear end is to drain, fill through the level hole until full, let it drain level and your done. note do it on the center stand. level might be that 10 extra CC that it wants to spit out.
  19. Dons1911

Dons1911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  20. lamotovita

Oddometer: