Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Dons1911

Dons1911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the Oxfords not an option? I put them on my Stelvio. Changed the connectors on them and plugged right into the stock wiring harness. Uses the stock controls and the dash shows the settings and everything! Another inmate help me locate the correct plug for the wiring. Works great for less than $60 buck total. Been told their warmer than the stock Guzzi grips...
    Night_Wolf, Wind_Rider and tsak8 like this.
  2. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, my dealer was able to see the number on one screen, but on the screen where he actually orders them, he said he could not. Told me to call back by end of day.
  3. Ryephile

Ryephile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a part number that works with the V85 specifically? There's been at least one guy that claimed this, but he never followed up with any information.
  4. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    No, I do not. I can look up what I bought for my Stelvio if that would help. I just didn't want to spend the almost $300 when $60 gets me better heat! I would think since Oxford is aftermarket, you'd just buy the replacements like I did and find the connector wired into the loom and either splice them in or change the ends. I had all kinds of concerns, but it worked out great!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. Mudpie54

Mudpie54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheap and cheerful aftermarket for me. Why would you pay that money for grips only?
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  6. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up, Ryephile. FYI, I just ordered through AF-1 Racing with free shipping. Yes they're expensive, but it will be a clean install and controlled through the TFT display. In the past I've done my own using a bar mounted Heat Troller, but with the new CAD designed bikes there is very little room to run wires and fuses for add ons.
  7. Trialsman

Trialsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will post this here and on Wild Guzzi. I decided to make the howling noise go away by getting rid of the front tire. While I was there I figured I would convert both tires to tubeless. While I had the front tire off, I decided to take out a little compression damping. Since there is no adjustment I replaced the 7.5wt fork oil with 5wt. While I had the forks off, I decided to adapt the PDHS anti-vibe handlebar setup from the KTM 990. While I was working on the top triple clamp, and knowing Guzzi is notorious for skimping on grease, I decided to check the headset bearings. This is what I found:

<br />[​IMG]<br /><br />[​IMG]<br />

In all fairness there was a LITTLE grease in there. It might be a good idea to check yours and pack it with real grease. I used the Bel-Ray waterproof type. While I was regreasing the headset bearings.........Do you see a pattern here? I now will take apart the swing arm as I am sure there will be little, if any grease. Looks like I will not be riding this weekend. Oh well, everyone knows owning a Guzzi is a love / hate relationship.

<br />[​IMG]<br />
    stokerel, Dracula, chris a and 6 others like this.
  8. Trialsman

Oddometer:
    The heated grips do not have to be Guzzi. Several months ago I used some ones I had on the shelf and just changed the connector ends. Molex connector, one of the 1625 series 0.062” type. The mate looks to be part number 03062023, old part number 1625-2P1. You’ll need to get the male crimp pins separately. It was a plug and play from there. The wires are under the right forward part of the tank and once connected, the CPU recognizes them and you have three position control plus off using the stock button as seen on the TFT.
  9. Headless In Tacoma

Headless In Tacoma I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Oddometer:
    No idea if anyone has done this before but I have had this done on a few of my bikes with saddle bags. Keeps em scratch and mostly dent free which is always nice :)

That is bed liner specifically done by the local LineX franchise. I just had them do up to the seam on the side of the panniers

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG
  10. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    That looks awesome! But how much weight does it add?
  11. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you'll find that the swingarm bearings are 2RS bearings that will of been greased at the factory they were made at. Like all factory packed 2RS bearings they will have nasty and inadequate silicone grease in them so it doesn't do any harm to gently pry out the outer dust seal and smear in some extra marine grease for good measure.
  12. Headless In Tacoma

Headless In Tacoma I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Oddometer:
    Honestly I didnt weight them before so I cannot give an exact answer but I'd say very little. I've also done the same treatment on my HD Road King saddle bags too which is really nice since the bags are painted on the bottom.
    Dons1911 likes this.
  13. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not even tapered roller bearings in the steering head? How much more could they have cost.
    chris a and jwdub like this.
  14. jwdub

Oddometer:
    Trialsman, tell us more about what you had to do to adapt the PDHS anti vibration mounts and how they and the change in fork oil weight work out.
  15. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
  16. Trialsman

Oddometer:
    Sure will. Looking back at my post it should read PHDS not PDHS. It means Progressive Handlebar Dampening System. Anyway those using the OEM bars it is a bolt on where I have to do a little work making new risers to make up for the Renthal bars that I am using instead. I should get less compression damping with the wt reduction but will still be able to adjust the rebound to get back to where it was set.
    jwdub likes this.
  17. Trialsman

Oddometer:
    If or when these roller balls wear out I will adapt a set of tapered roller bearings to take their place. I suspect it will be a very long time though.
    XT Traveler and chris a like this.
  18. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put these (Koso AM111030 7/8" + 1" Apollo Heated Grips) heated grips on my Stornello and the wives Ducati. They work great, 5 heat settings, easy to change settings without taking your hand off the bars. No little controller sticking up from the bars to interfere with anything. Might be another option for the V85TT.
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  19. jwdub

Oddometer:
    Fortrider, how long are the leads and what type of connector? Information was sparse on Amazon.

BTW, I just got a message from AF-1 Racing that the V85 OEM heated grips are on backorder and won't be shipped from Italy for another 2 - 3 weeks. I cancelled my order.
  20. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do Oxford grips have plug 'n play connectors, or is it slice 'n dice?

Also, is it possible to remove the stock grip on the throttle side without destroying it? Any tips?

Thanks.