Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    BTW I emailed Hyperpro to see if they had any offerings for the V85 and they said not yet but it is on their radar.
    SocalRob likes this.
  2. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    MIA -Missing In Action
  3. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm best off just to mount my cell on the handlebars, with the USB so handy there. And use predownloaded maps from Google? Or whatever I want.

I'll price it out just to see. But honestly I just wanted to use it because it's there. Maybe it's time to finally get a handle bar mount. Have old samsung phone kicking around can use that for low risk/cost option.

Thanks for the info, the sales guy has one on his bike I'll go check it out to see it person...

MFS
    XT Traveler and Night_Wolf like this.
  4. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    An inexpensive phone and Google maps would work better IMO. Maybe the app will get better updates in time.
    MFS and Night_Wolf like this.
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any old or inexpensive cell might work, but brightness can be a big issue. If it's hard to read you might be tempted to look longer. Today's weather wouldn't challenge many phones and I angle it down to reflect my chest instead of the sky.

GPSphone.jpg
    Night_Wolf and MFS like this.
  6. s-flow

s-flow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought I’d wait to 10000 km before giving my thoughts about the V85 fully broken in but it seems the weather up in Scandinavia won’t allow me to get there before winter so at 8000 km, this is what I think.

- Faults and quality issues

One blinker got condensation inside at first heavy rain that didn’t go away, replaced on warranty, seems good so far.
    Oil seeped from the low oil pressure sensor, when sensor was about to be replaced it was found a washer was probably missing. So we will see if that’s the problem.
    And last, the front end ( handlebars ) we’re bouncing up and down during a steady speed of 50-70 km/h. A new front tire was ordered and replaced. The result is 90% better but still a tiny amount of fluctuation in the handlebars. I can’t really judge already if this is to expect as normal.. so I’ll wait for some more riding next season to give the new tire a few miles to ev. Settle.

Also, the red paint on the frame parts seems to be really sensitive, I tested to throw a set of soft luggage over the rear frame just see, when I removed them there was noticable scratches at 4 places. Something must be wrong, missing in the threatmeant of the paint there.

- Daily use

It has been a true pleasure with the V85, comfort, reliability, fuel consumption, is great. The bike tours longer distances with ease and is comfortable at any speed until the wind blast gets too noisy, the stock windshield is very good as it does not create buffeting and keeps wind of the chest area ( I got me a larger screen but it wen't off pretty quick due to buffeting and an overall downgrade to the look of the bike ) I think you need a huge screen to get a calm bubble on this bike due to a low attachment point for the shield, best keep the stock one and get a really good helmet imo. My bike vibrates lesser and lesser with the miles put, now I really can't feel any bad vibrations, just some somehow pleasant ones. Power is more then enough for me at any situation and in opposite to many I find the power band to be wide and progressive, a fun engine. Suspension is really good for any street and gravel road riding, I guess limitations comes in when jumping and riding fast over big rocks.

I constantly scan the market for new cool bikes but really can’t find something out there to compete with the bike at the moment, partly due to the shaft drive, that I think is a huge benefit over chain. The cruise control is a wonderful thing to have also.

The fuelling is strange at low rpm ( from idle to 2500 rpm ), it’s on/off effect makes crawling through city traffic require a lot of clutch slipping, hopefully new mapping will make that better.

Over all a fantastic bike they made, if I got to design a bike and get it built It would be very close to this!

Figuering about the Mistral exhaust with the V-twin boost for next season to improve sound and maybe low rpm behaviour.
    That’s it.

Greetings!
    Daniel
    Dracula, rauchman, Night_Wolf and 5 others like this.
  7. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny. On a couple of other boards dedicated to Guzzi I've described the V85 as the two wheeled equivalent of a Hyundai Kona.

Great car, does everything expected of it, is as boring as batshit and they sell by the container load!

V85 will probably be the best seller Guzzi has had in decades! Great for Piaggio! A huge shame for anyone who cares about Guzzi and their history of innovation.
    XT Traveler likes this.
  8. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:

LOL !!! In addition to my V85 I have a 2019 Kona though it's the AWD Turbo version with fully indpendent suspension. And yes it does do everything I exepct of it and actually a bit more. Where it particularly surprised me is the handling -- it actually handles quite well though the steering feel could be improved. It does 0-60MPH in 6.6 seconds (as measured by a couple of Auto Rags) which is respectible. The 7 speed DCT, which comes with the Turbo engine, is actually quite good though a 6 speed manual would have been my preference. The car is comfortable, well appointed, reasonably pratical, pretty fun to drive, and pretty darn decent build quality at an excellent price. So from my personal experience comparing the V85 to a Kona isn't all that much of an insult.

Do I wish that Guzzi had gone with a four valve head and a few more ponies? -- ABSOLUTELY. Would I have been willing to sacrafice the digital dash, bluetooth capability, and cruise control and those types of features to help offset the cost of a 4V head? -- again absolutely. But beyond that change I don't really lust for anything more -- I can always upgrade to Ohlins or such type suspension at some point if I want. But for now I have a good handling, comfortable, easy to maintain, reasonably quick, stylish, motorcycle with broad spectum capability, decent build quality at a good price point. Geeez I guess you are right they are kind of like a Kona (turbo) and I like them both !! And frankly if they are selling like hotcakes then maybe Guzzi will redirect some of the profits into R&D to help fund more exotic innovation and we can all be happy !

:ricky

Dracula, SocalRob, chris a and 4 others like this.
  9. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    You might want to think twice about the V-Twin boost thing, I believe it is similar to a Fat-Duc that spoofs the ecu into overfueling the bike. Could be totally wrong though. As for the Mistral exhaust? I'll let you know in a couple of weeks after I get mine installed.
  10. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    This absolutely. If it's an O2 sensor fooler it may cause any number of weirdnesses due to overfuelling and throw up unwanted service codes or throw the bike into limp mode. If it's an air temperature fooler the ECU will trim around it in short order.
  11. Torquemada

Torquemada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You’re correct. It’s the same air sensor mod people have been selling for years. It will always have wild results depending on your local temp and barometric environment. Snake oil. Get a tune instead always.

We seem to be of the same mind. Im going stage I next week just out of curiosity alone. Mass stainless oval on its way. Keeping the cat for now maybe forever. I’m pretty proud of the range on this tank.
    chris a, Night_Wolf and dedave like this.
  12. Bradbm

Bradbm Adventurer

Oddometer:

I put the Zard titanium exhaust and mistral midpipe on my V85 - looks great (apart from the lame logo) and sounds even better. Not too loud and adds lots of bass to the exhaust note; makes the bike sound like a real guzzi. An owner in Germany has run the V85 on a dyno with the Zard exhaust and recorded 78ps at 7860 rpm and 75 nM of torque at 6550 rpm. I ordered the exhaust through omnia racing in Italy and had it delivered to Canada. The mistral midpipe was from Af1.
    s-flow, MFS, Torquemada and 2 others like this.
  13. Mudpie54

Mudpie54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right, I have bought a set of R&G heated grips. Can anyone tell me if I need to remove the fuel tank to access the connector sockets? Can anyone supply a picture of said sockets, so I know what I need - or a part number of the connectors needed? (UK)
  14. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have their top end rear shock on my V7iii and fully adjustable fork kit on same bike. Very high quality. Had it all adjusted at a suspension clinic held by ProItalia. Bike is balanced, ride great in canyons, and is not harsh anymore on freeways. Stock it actually hurt my back on rough pavement on the freeway.

If Matris can transform the V7iii with its very small suspension travel, I suspect it would create a very plush ride on a bike with decent suspension travel like the V85.
  15. Trialsman

Trialsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Molex (2-Circuits) Male & Female Receptacle Plug, w/Terminal sockets w/18-24 AWG Standard .062" Pins, Pitch 3.68mm (Pack of 6 Set

The kit was $7.99 with Amazon. It is a bit tight working to get to the heater wires so I removed the tank for easy access. As soon as you connect them you will see the icon on the TFT and the left-hand control button will cycle three temperatures as well as off. Good luck.
    jwdub, Mudpie54 and tsak8 like this.
  16. Mudpie54

Mudpie54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Are these an exact fit? I can only find them in the USA. I've ordered some but now have to wait and will probably have to pay import duty. Bummer!
  17. kmueller_gs12

kmueller_gs12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. Mudpie54

Mudpie54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked at that. I am in the UK. I have searched the internet and not found any fittings that match the Amazon description. Do we in Europe have all metric ones? There seems to be a strange mix of imperial and metric in the Amazon listing.
    Anyway I ordered them and I'll wait and see.
    Cheers John.
  19. kmueller_gs12

kmueller_gs12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Mudpie54

Mudpie54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!