Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Torquemada

Torquemada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t read of anyone with the hoppy tire issue measuring at the surface of the tire as it rotates on the axel.

It might be helpful to freshen up the grease in the fork seals to see if stiction is a contributor. I always seem to forget to do that and every time I do it feels like a fresh pair of socks... but with grease in them.
  2. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Seats are different? How so?
  3. dedave

dedave Gold in dem dare hills

Oddometer:
    Different covering. The McD bike has a more "velvet" finish, where the Gray bike has a more "vinyl" or smooth finish. I like the Gray Colored bike seat better. Just seems like it may not stain as bad or fast, and does give a shorter inseam a little better slide when sliding back and forth to put the foot down.

The Gray bike looks way better than I thought it would, it will be the demo bike and should be fully setup on sat, so I may take it for a test drive.

Dealer has 2 McD's and one Gray Mare.
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I was absolutely drooling over the McD version at the bike show last January, much to the surprise of The_Filly. I think she was shocked that I preferred that colour combo, & depending upon the colours offered next Spring in Canada, it's the one I will most likely buy
  5. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:

That just BS I tried pulling the clutch is while coasting and the bounce was there.

6. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    A wild, random guess is that it might be related to the miserable 'Poverty Pack' suspension but no doubt this will trigger an outbreak of shoutyness from owners.
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    A better suspension should be able to mask it, but a poverty-pack suspension shouldn't cause wheel hop on smooth roads.

EDIT: The cause of wheel hop should still be corrected even if a great suspension can mask it.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    one thing cheap that might be worth investigating is the quantity of fork oil. the forks on my V7III were very different levels. a bit of a pain and I don't know the V85 specs but lift the front end, pull the caps and drop a tape measure down to the bottom. should be the same level in both. good time to replace the oil but I suggest you get the shop manual .
    Redwags likes this.
  9. Mudpie54

Mudpie54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll take the bait! "Poverty pack" suspension is probably fine for 90% of customers. If you want a sports bike, or want to travel the road of bones, perhaps a different bike is in order. For the rest of us mere mortals, without bottomless wallets, this bike is just fine....... well it is for me!
    chris a, tf104 and Bradbm like this.
  10. s-flow

s-flow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have, first tire was about 1.5 mm out of round, the replacement tire 1 mm.. now, if these values are acceptable it seems to be very different opinions on but both shops that I’ve used say it’s not too bad and shouldn’t alone cause bouncing.
    chris a, Bradbm and Torquemada like this.
  11. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and in the old days when motorcycles had only 5 gears, it was the 3rd gear that was responsible for the front wheel hop.
  12. dedave

Oddometer:
    It's an imperfect bead seating that is causing the issue. The safety bead may be interfering with a perfect "pop". let the air out, break the beads, grease up the bead good with proper bead lube and get a good compressor to pop it back on. Problem solved.
    Redwags and Torquemada like this.
  13. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I'm paying $20K for a motorbike as I'm being asked to here in Oz damned straight I don't want 'Poverty Pack' rudimentary, barely adjustable suspension!
  14. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    On a tire that uses tubes? And mine hops even after reseating the beads.
  15. We're Here

We're Here Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Attempting to reduce helmet buffeting. Will report results after weekend ride.

IMG_3799.jpeg IMG_3808.jpeg
    tsak8 likes this.
  16. s-flow

s-flow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Redwags and Torquemada like this.
  17. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:
    s-flow likes this.
  18. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    I do know that car ballance machines sometimes tell the tech to break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim to get it properly balanced.
    I started doing my own tires and spin balance the rim without the tire first. I then add the weight needed to the drop center and apply it with JB weld quick dry including a layer over the top. rarely do I need a weight now. also most quality MC tires don't have a balance dot anymore.
    falcn and dedave like this.
  19. dedave

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. On my TR650, I put a TKC 80, tubeless on a spoked wheel with tube. This wheel did not have the safety bead.

Make sure markings are even all the way around, and these can throw you off if the beed does not slide all the way up to the lip. It may look centered, but until the inner lip of the bead is press firmly against the wheel flange, it will not ride right.

One solution is to run about 10-15 psi and go for a ride and get the tire hot, and then pump some air in once the movement wiggled the bead into place. Low enough that the sidewall flexes good, but enough air to push the inner bead in while moving. No hard braking etc or you could spin the tire and snap the valve stem.

continental-tire.jpg

And I assure you, that there was no bouncing prior to the tire change, so no, it was not the rear tire as the link above mentions. Plus, I did not drive his bike and he may be confused as to where the vibration is coming from. And the tech checked the front and found NO PROBLEMS. so yeah just saying.

If you walk into the doctor and tell him your left foot hurts...
  20. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer: