Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Trialsman

Trialsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a ride tonight in the low 40*. The heated grips were very nice.
    XT Traveler likes this.
  2. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock Grips? Do they get warm? Is the first of the three power settings even noticeable? Is the 3rd power settings smoking hot?
  3. Trialsman

Oddometer:
    They are not as warm as I would like but on three they did keep me very warm.
    TNWalker likes this.
  4. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Current bike status
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Install was very easy, the Mistral stuff comes with new clamps and gaskets, fit right in with no drama. I'd say the bike sounds just like the video on Youtube about the Mistral exhaust.
    [​IMG]
    At my BiL's shop so took advantage of his experience to look at the rear wheel. We found a fairly large section that was tighter than the rest resulting in deflection of the rim up and down. I took video of it but don't currently have a way to post it, maybe when I get home I can work on getting it posted. After releasing spoke tension and then tightening things up again the wheel spins much truer but there is still some movement side to side where the rim was welded together, BiL says that can't be taken out with spoke adjustment so I'll put the wheel back on tomorrow and see if this helps with the front wheel hopping.
    Utrider1, XT Traveler, tsak8 and 2 others like this.
  5. Trialsman

Oddometer:
    In putting on the crossover pipe it is very short for the overlapping joints. Mine first time had a leak, the second time I used a tie down to pull the sections closer together before tightening. Made a huge difference - no leaks. While you are in there why don't you turn the wheel into tubeless? It is not that hard nor expensive. It requires 3M Marine 5200 caulking for around the spoke nipples and 3M 4411 3" Extreme sealing tape. Go to a NAPA and get a tubeless valve stem and you have everything necessary but the time to do it. I did both of mine two weeks ago and they are holding air perfectly. I will try to post up some pictures of the process.
    Night_Wolf and OtterChaos like this.
  6. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What brand?
  7. Trialsman

Oddometer:
    They were some ones off eBay that I had on my 990, no idea what brand, sorry.
    Jayell likes this.
  8. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    I'll check for leaks tomorrow but my crossover seemed to fit well. As for tubeless I used the outrex kit and it worked sorta on the rear tire but I pulled it off as I didn't like the way I did the area where the seams met and the front tire never worked well so I'm just going to run tubes for now.

Forgot to add that I balanced the rim without a tire installed, it wasn't that far out but I used three 1/8oz weights to balance it out.
  9. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jayell,
    I think I'll need some lube to muscle it on as it takes quite a bit of force just to get it on 1/2" after reducing the diameter to about 1.012.
    Torquemada likes this.
  10. Torquemada

Torquemada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use air like this guy.

Night_Wolf likes this.
  11. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're out less than ten thou now, it should go on quite easily once you get it started.

I had almost 0.050" difference with mine. No lube, no glue. It'll go on with some effort and determination.
  12. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea for standard rubber grips, that's how I do it, too.

I don't think it'd work with Oxford heated grips, though, as they're far too rigid and will not yield under compressed air.
    Night_Wolf and Torquemada like this.
  13. s-flow

s-flow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im also continuing to hunt down the cause of the "hop".

Very exited about the mistral report, any change in ride characteristics?
    My rear wheel is now checked and rebalanced so both front and rear wheel is good, all mecanics still have some ideas about it still beeing some oddity with the front tire..
    so should I get a third tire of another brand or go straight on the fork.. not decided yet.
  14. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:

Did you have to remap for the Mistral?? And if so what map did you use?

TNWalker likes this.
  15. tsak8

tsak8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice job!
    How much weight did yoy get rid of?
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  16. jwdub

Oddometer:
    RE: Oxford Grips. I used compressed air to remove the stock grips. However, the new edition of the Oxford grips are not rubber on the inside -- they are made with hard plastic and air is not going to expand it. In the past, I've made up my own from Symtec and just reused the stock grips along with a Heat Troller.
  17. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    No remap and as far as I know there isn't a remap available for the bike yet, the lamda sensors are located before the crossover so there should be minimal change to the ride. Have yet to ride the bike with the new exhaust, should be able to do so today. Oh and almost forgot I did NOT buy the V-TWIN booster thing they advertise alongside the exhaust, no way am I putting something like that on my bike.

Sorry I didn't have a scale available to test it out. Just hefting them side by side there was noticeable weight savings but not as much as I though there would be, I think the muffler (I bought the carbon version) provides the biggest change in weight and the cat isn't as heavy as I thought it would be.
    Utrider1, tsak8 and TNWalker like this.
  18. jwdub

Oddometer:
    otter chaos, can you post a sound track for the Mistral? I assume that you just installed the slip on. OOPs, I see now that you also removed the cat.
  19. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    AF1 racing was not able to fulfill my order with the latest shipment that just came in. Next shipment is 4-6 weeks away.

Guess I'm gonna have to roll my own.

Could you post the instructions for the install of the grips. I'd like to see how they routed them.
  20. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Here is what I got for the Moto Guzzi heated grips
    [​IMG]
    Both grips have internal tubes so install should be a snap. You actually replace the entire throttle housing, might explain the high cost. Also included are two new inserts for the handlebars. No instructions included even if the packing list says it is included. I searched 2S001435 Moto Guzzi and found a link to an online PDF of the instructions.
    dedave likes this.