Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Also the grips are 34mm diameter with the stock grips being 31mm. Measured resistance across the connectors and saw 10 ohms for each side.
  2. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are the grips fused separately in the provided harness?
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The user manual says there's a 7.5A fuse that protects the wiring for the instrument panel, anti-theft, hand grips, and turn indicators.
  4. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand the factory heated grips will require a recalibration of the throttle, which can only be done by a Guzzi dealer.

From the instruction manual: "After assembling the kit it is necessary to proceed with a new learning operation of the right hand grip using the P.A.D.S. diagnostic tool."
  5. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't understand why that would be the case.
  6. speedysheep

speedysheep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't this be done with Guzzidiag? That's my plan. Grips just arrived from AF1 today.
  7. jwdub

Oddometer:
    I really don't understand why the Guzzi heated grip option includes the whole throttle assy. At first I thought the 6 wire harness plug shown in Otter Chao's picture was a fuse holder. As I'm installing a pair of Oxford heated grips, I can see now that it's part of the throttle RBW. I'm still waiting for an additional Oxford harness extension to change the ends to molex to fit the V85. Others have reported that just plugging the grips into the harness allows the ECU to recognize and control the heated grips. I'm counting on it. Green/Yellow waterproof connectors are from the Oxford grips while the white Molex connectors are in the Guzzi harness.

Attached Files:

8. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:

thanks for the pic, do you have a link to the PDF?
  9. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No link, but it's out there. Search Google using these terms: 2S001435 Moto Guzzi
    TNWalker likes this.
  10. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:

Got my grips and they went on today -- I had the dealer do it which I typically wouldn't -- but I just have too much going on right now. I don't know if they had to reset anything -- I will ask -- I was in a bit of a hurry so I just picked up the bike and booked home. I did play with the different settings on the way home and the differences between the three setting are discernible and setting three was too hot but then it was not all that cold 52 degrees.

OtterChaos and TNWalker like this.
  11. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Just a quick comment, more later. No fuse in the harness and the bike ran just fine after I put the grips on. I don't see a need for recalibration
    TNWalker likes this.
  12. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Ok I have a bit of time to comment on the work I did to the bike over the last few days.

1) Mistral Carbon muffler and crossover installed. I'll try to get a sound file up when I get home in a few days. I think it sounds good and the bike seems to run well with it, there is just a bit of popping when I close the throttle which I hope the bike learns to get rid of but it isn't that bad at all. Checked for exhaust leaks but found none.

2) The heated grips. If you get the MG grips you will need to remove the tank in order to get to the throttle connector which is right below the tank. Tank removal wasn't too bad. The grip connectors are located on the right side of the bike behind the black triangle of plastic that is just forward of the tank. BTW the connectors for the fog lamps is on the opposite side of the bike behind the left cover. Grips work well and they do seem to have three distinct settings just like XT Traveler found. I like them, the plastic/rubber seems pretty middle of the road, not super soft nor very hard either, I do like them.

3)Wheels/Tires. As shown I took the rear rim off and had the spokes readjusted which removed a flat spot in the rim that I'd hope would help with the hopping of the front wheel. Installed a Conti Trail Attack 2 tire and went for a test ride, hop still there but perhaps due to a bit of confirmation bias it seemed less than before. Removed the front tire and checked the rim which was pretty true and needed no adjustment. Installed a Conti Trail Attack 2 front tire and did another test ride, hopping seems much reduced now and I'll be keeping a close eye on it during my upcoming trip into Mexico and report back.
    Utrider1 and tsak8 like this.
  13. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Can I assume, you can plug in your own aux lighting to the factory harness? Anyone know if that only works with the high or low beam?
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Can you share a link as to where you purchased the Molex connector, or a picture of what it looks like? Maybe add it to an order I can see being placed with Eastern Beaver for a 3 circuit solution
  15. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    While waiting for my enormous piece of pork to cook for supper I had a quick squizz at the parts list. Seems like they've moved the demand sensor into the twistgrip mount on the V85. That being the case it might well be that when you fit heated grips you will need to do the handle and throttle self learning functions. That would be a tedious bore. As would falling off and damaging the twistgrip assembly which will set you back a cool $299 for a replacement!
    XT Traveler and Night_Wolf like this.
  16. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much do the heated grips cost again?

Just looked it up! $269! Brilliant! The heated grips that incorporate the demand sensor actually cost less than the demand sensor grip on its own without the heating element!

You couldn't make this level of shit up! It's positively Trumpian!
    WooPig and Kevm like this.
  17. jwdub

Oddometer:
    Molex (2-Circuits) Male & Female Receptacle Plug, w/Terminal sockets w/18-24 AWG Standard .062" Pins, Pitch 3.68mm (Pack of 6 Set
    Ordered from Amazon.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  18. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191019_112505.jpg
    FYI here is the nut size for the seat bump posts. Nylon lock nut plus I put in a lock washer each side as well.
    I checked mine every time I had the seat off, including 3 days ago. Yesterday, it looked loose and popped off with both stock nuts having come off.
    Side note, first service coming up on Tuesday!

MFS
  19. tf104

tf104 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I need to check the seat bump nuts again. I did notice the skid plate bolts when I did my first service, two were missing and the other two less than finger tight,
  20. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    when fogs switched on they stay on, even when high beam is engaged
    XT Traveler and Night_Wolf like this.