Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the U.S., the warranty is extended from 2 years to 3 years. Anything similar over there?

I'd think you could argue at even 4 years that the leak was a known factory problem and they should fix it. Success with this argument may vary.
  2. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fortunately in New Zealand we have the consumers guarantee act that applies irrespective of any factory warranty or not.

The test under that act is fit for purpose and normal life expectancy.
    XT Traveler and Kevm like this.
  3. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Moto Guzzi didn't cover costs to Stelvio's that needed to be rollerized unless you got lucky with your request. In some cases they covered parts but not labor. I don't remember if the flat tappets were a recall issue so that may be a difference in how they deal with the V85'S.
  4. tf104

tf104 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one that thinks a cover is totally unacceptable ? If there is an issue it needs to be addressed
  5. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen the cover? curious what it looks like.
  6. Torquemada

Torquemada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it’s the cover alone and your bike has evidence of a damaged seal then, yes but that wouldn’t be following the inspection/repair procedures of the recall.

Seal Damaged On Factory Install:
    Correctly reinstalling the seal bits at the service station that were not installed correctly at the factory is addressing the issue. As stated in the TSB, the leaky seal thing is a functional assembly procedure problem where, during assembly, it was damaged. Bad/misadjusted assembly rig, technician mistake, no one knows but the factory.

I was told at 2,500 miles that if it hasn’t shown any signs of wear that it probably wouldn’t but to keep and eye on it anyway until I get in for the recall inspection/work. Good enough for me. I take a quick peek at all that anyway as a matter of habit.

Supplemental Cover:
    The cover is just a secondary solution apparently to help get you home if the seal is damaged in assembly or ages out, lets go and starts seeping. I’m good with that too. Feels like a free accessory to me.
    Sailorlite and bisbonian like this.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Kevm likes this.
  8. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have the goose in my garage now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Interested to hear about your impressions of the V85 vs. the AT for extended higher speed (75mph) riding.
  10. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    I have not taken it out on the open road yet, but around town it is nice and light, nimble. Love the motor.
    larryboy and madrider5150 like this.
  11. tf104

tf104 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In a previous post it was stated that shafts were manufactured with sharp edges making installation without damage difficult.
    My recall documents state that if there is no leak detected they will install the cover, It also states that if a leak is discovered that they will install new seals and install the cover.
    I have three bikes in my garage with shaft final drive and the Guzzi is the one with a cover on the final drive because it is known to have issues and might start leaking, UNACCEPTABLE!
  12. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Correct me if Im wrong but the cover prevents leakage if it occurs from causing an accident. The cover should be easily removable to check for leakage and in the event it is leaking it should be covered under warranty. Probably check at oil change intervals- Doesnt seem like anything shady MG is trying to do- if seal was damaged on installation- leaking would occur and be fixed under warranty.
    Night_Wolf and MrKiwi like this.
  13. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    While not wrong you, I nor anyone else has any idea what this cover will look like or how easy it is to remove. As I said earlier if the seals are replaced yet the recall still calls for the cover to be installed did they fix the underlying cause? Newer V85'S won't need this cover so why does one that had the seals replaced need it? I think it is because the possibility of another leak due to design issues still exists. Just my uninformed opinion of course.
    madrider5150 and tf104 like this.
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I know this is an "older" post, but how difficult is it to take apart the headstock to add some grease? Any special tools needed
  15. Gerineldo

Gerineldo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Come one man you can figure this one out. The left side pic was taken at the dealer, presumably before guard installation. Right MK?!?
    MrKiwi likes this.
  17. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Apologies for a slight thread drift into a Norwegian fjord :augieand resurrection of a dated post comma but. Regrets, too, for my typical TLDR approach to questions. :snore It's my trade. :-)

So, after paying an embarrassing amount of money to have my Norge's side cases painted -- color match was extraordinary, tho with hardware and latches off, refitting those to work was challenging -- I managed to dump it into gravel. :muutt:(

[​IMG]

At literally zero-mph, damage was, as next pic (sort of) shows, about as little as one could wish for, but yike$ anyway.

[​IMG]

So, thinking about "painting" the lower halves of the panniers in some less sensitive coating. Probably in black as that might translate well (enough) into the existing livery.

The LineX sounds good. The "weight" issue is trivial because that small area shouldn't be a big deal; besides, if I cared so much about weight I would not have had that second piece of toast this morning. :D

So, wondered what the cost might be for the LineX approach. There's a dealer here, so, yes, I can just go ask. Not interested in having to tap our HELOC for this! :loco So, if the OP or others know that and/or have had, since that old post, some experiences that would be helpful in deciding, would appreciate hearing those.

Might do something similar with my H-B Orbitz cases as "someone" has a tendency not to ensure those are snugged sufficiently into the C-Bow mounts. Yes, I know: gotta be smarter than the bag. :fpalm On the bright side, those rascals do survive dismounts and pavement engagement in an impressive way. :clap

In searching ADV for others' ideas, saw mention in this recent thread -- https://advrider.com/f/threads/any-...o-lining-your-plastics.1425584/#post-39199821 -- of Transstar Texcoat. Might just rattle can that or similar product.

So, sorry again for having the temerity to enter V85 territory without doing more than lusting after one, but the question might be useful to others here, especially as dropping a V85 at Starbucks might do painful damage to more than your ego ... tho the dropping dominos of GS's would be fascinating to watch. :jack

Grazie.

Bill
    motocopter, TNWalker and MrKiwi like this.
  18. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Yes correct.

At the last minute I decided to get the engine guards installed. First pic was the bike as I arrived at the shop.

Second pic is the bike at home.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  19. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice destination for a ride! Owensboro did it right. Was there in 2018.

2018SEP30_Nicky-Hayden-statue-sm.jpg

Robotaz and Iron Cross Junction like this.
  20. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is done.

I just traded in my beloved but aging Tiger 800 ABS, wrote a check for the balance, and rode home on a 2020 V85 Adventure, in the Coast Guard colors. Photos to follow when I find my camera.

This isn't a different motorcycle, it's a whole different universe!