Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took the bike out for it's first ride on the open highway today.

Things about the bike I have noticed:
    1. distinct lack of plastic clutter on the bike around the tank and head lights. I like the uncluttered look, both from looking at the bike and from sitting on the bike, ie cockpit view.
    2. power is down on the Africa Twin, but the engine has way more character and has good torque.
    3. Fuel consumption is quite tidy while riding normally, thirsty when on the throttle. It is reading around 22km/L (about 52 miles to the US gallon). Range on a full tank is in excess of 450 km. That is perfect for me.
    4. The gear box is butter smooth. Was not expecting that. Even in first gear.
    5. The bike has a slight vibration buzz at 100km/hr but not at 95km/hr or below. The buzz might reduce or go away once the engine has been through its first service.
    6. The bike is surprisingly nimble. It reminds me a lot of riding the Honda VFR1200X but is a lot lighter and has way more character.
    7. I really like the look of the high front fender.
    Meeting up with a friend up the valley for breakfast this morning.

[​IMG]
  2. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    That's my view too. Congrats on the new bike, I suspect you are going to love it...
    DesertPilot likes this.
  3. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They offered me a test ride, I swung a leg over the saddle, fired it up, and thought, "What planet am I on? Is this still Earth?" I let out the clutch, rolled on some throttle, and thought, "WHat dimension am I in? Is it stil the one I woke up in this morning?" After riding it around a few blocks, I thought, "It may be faster than my Tiger, it may be slower, but I don't care!" because I was grinning from ear to ear :D

It's iompossible not to ride one of these bikes without smiling. If everyone rode one, there would be no war!

And yes, it is less top-heavy. That will be nice too.

Of course, now I'll have to wait until April, head up to Summit Road, find that same spot, and change my avatar picture, darn it...
  4. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insights, will be interested in hearing more as the comparison with AT sort of solidifies over time. My practical side keeps telling me to get a AT or ST but I just love the V85 and was a joy to ride. BTW 22 km/L yields roughly 52 MPG, much better than 9.4 lol
  5. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Yeah my mistake on the conversion
    madrider5150 likes this.
  6. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    In celebration of today's purchase, I have ordered... tah dah!... The First Farkle: the OEM crash bar setup, because the gods watch, chuckling with anticipation. for people who put things like that off. I would have preferred the SW-Motech setup, but no US supplier seems to carry it.

That may be it for farkles. There doesn't seem to be much else I'd ever want to add except for the OEM centerstand and maybe a different windscreen. Darn. Where's the fun in that?
  7. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]That may be it for farkles. There doesn't seem to be much else I'd ever want to add except for the OEM centerstand and maybe a different windscreen. Darn. Where's the fun in that? [/QUOTE]

This is actually part of the reason I want one, with the adventure pack its pretty much good to ride across country off the showroom floor, just pack up your stuff. I already have a couple other money pit bikes :/
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did Seacoast Sport Cycle become the #2 Moto Guzzi dealer in the U.S.?

Probably through service.

I sent them an email asking to put off my recall service until April when I could get down there without salt inside and outside the bike. They called back. They'll pick it up.

To get from here to there, I drive/ride about 45 minutes north before I can turn west for another hour before I can turn south toward Portland and on past Portland to Derry NH where Seacoast Sport Cycle is located. It's a 5 1/2 hour drive each way if stops are kept to a minimum and a longer ride. Solid 500 mile round trip.

Charles at Seacoast Sport Cycle explained that they don't have the kits on hand, but perform the inspection then order one kit if a leak is found and a different kit if no leak is found. Which means it's just best to leave the bike there for a couple of days. At this point I'm pretty disappointed. Waiting until April for a ride is out. It means 2 long days of trailering. I was not feeling good.

I knew that they have a Sprinter van and they go to outlying cities occasionally to pickup and deliver bikes. Still, the prospect of trailering through the salt spray to Bangor, for example, still leaves the bike thoroughly salted although it's only a few hours instead of a long day.

Except they will pick it up in my driveway. I checked a few times with different wording to make sure he was really saying that. I asked if he knew where this town is and where this road is. He had already looked. For $50 they will come pick up the bike and take it back for the recall inspections and service. Another $50 to deliver when they're done. This is such an incredibly good deal that I didn't even ask to have the $100 covered by recall or warranty. It costs me much more than $100 to drive down there.

So When they have a few bikes to pick up or deliver in eastern Maine, they'll schedule a day to make multiple stops out here. May not be for a week or two.

Let me emphasize that if they already had pickups in Machias or Ellsworth, I'm still more than an hour out of their way. This is a really good deal and a big relief.

tl;dr. Seacoast Sport Cycle will pickup and deliver bikes to the outer bumfuck peninsula.
  9. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Probably because the other 5-6 dealers that were #1 and #2 in the US the past decade or so all went out of business or dropped the franchise in the last decade or so.

RIP

Moto Int.
    MPH
    Speaker's Cycles

(just to name a few)
  10. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Oh.

:(
  11. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    This idea that they will inspect the bike before ordering the kit is unacceptable to me. I will not ride 230 miles to the dealer just to have them look at the bike and tell me to come back once the proper kit is in.

(Edit to add). Called my shop and they are ordering the parts and will see the bike once the kits are in.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  12. Mudpie54

Mudpie54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike has its first service and recall work on Monday. The comments by Mr Kiwi all ring true except the butter smooth gearbox. Mine is quite clunky in the first 2/3 gears, especially when riding slowly. There seems to be a bit of slack in the transmission.
  13. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    I was expecting a bit of roughness in the lower gears but to my surprise there is not. I must have got a good one.

I'm out riding again today to put a few miles on it. Read the manual last night, run in instructions are clear enough.
  14. BlueBluer

BlueBluer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats to the new victims of the V85TT's charm !

Mine's a bit clunky at times in the lower gears too - but still much much smoother than the GS I had before !!
    Mudpie - would you please post a picture of that seal they fitted ? If it is visible ? Ta
    MrKiwi likes this.
  15. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    That makes sense for California. What I'm experiencing right now is Maine. They can have it for 2 weeks for all I care. If I go out on our roads any time in February it'll be on a cheaper, simpler bike.

I'm a long, long way from feeling any kind of grumpy about this.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  16. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Ok but not all V85 owners on the East coast have as responsive dealer as yours and may also face a long trip to the shop for repairs so I think the shop having the parts on hand before showing up is the best option. We also don't know if a shop can get the parts as quickly as your dealer says they can and past history with Moto Guzzi response times would prevent me from taking a long trip only to have to do it again at some future point.
  17. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, I love my V85 and just today I was preparing my Stelvio to go on sale.
  18. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    My brand new bike is subject to the recalls and some technical updates.

The dealer is not asking me to bring the bike back until the parts arrive.

In the meantime I out riding enjoying the bike.
  19. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    Here she is. Definately a she -- a busty Italian farm girl vs the Ducati's sexy lady. I now have all of 31 miles on the bike, and they've been great miles. I can't get over how 'different' this is from any machine I've ever ridden, seen, or imagined. Pretty much everything the reviewers have said, both pro and con, seems true... and completely irrelevant. I turn the key, the bike rocks to the side as the engine catches, I think, "What universe am I in?" and that's it, I'm smiling for the rest of the ride :D

Tomorrow, if all goes well, I may try the Usual Loop To The Coast And Back to see what I've just bought...

IMG_2665.x25r60.jpg
  20. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm I thought Cadre Cycle in Blue Ash Ohio was the 2nd largest (by sales volume) dealer in the US.