Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I'd say touring is the only thing the stock pegs are good for, if you're happy with them I doubt Pivot Pegs would appeal to you. I'm not a Pivot Peg fan but I think that the stock pegs are far too small (and mushy if you're using thr rubber covers) for any off pavement, or even aggressive pavement, riding.
    neiltholland likes this.
  2. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heck, you could take them off and use them as hammers, use them as erasers, use them as cheese graters, use them to balance the short table leg, strike a flint against them to start a fire. Don't under-rate those things! :D
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  3. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Ha probably not. I have 14k so far but of course can't ride far nowadays. Valve adjustment is easy with the only pain being that you need to at least unbolt the tank and move it a bit so that you can remove and replace the fitting that covers the HT lead because you can't get too it with the tank in it's normal position (well you can but the screw is very small and you risk dropping it and losing it). Shame too since that piece could have been designed different IMO to avoid the issue.
  4. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Yeah I don't have many miles on my Pivot Pegz yet but I fitted them mostly for dirt riding as the stock pegs never gave me issues on the road. I do like the larger platform for everyday stuff but the price for performance wouldn't have me buying them for street usage only. Also I'd recommend the covers for the pegs if you get them, the pegs themselves have a very aggressive spike pattern and really lock the boot in place which is good for dirt but I like to position my foot around a bit when on long road rides.
    neiltholland and MrKiwi like this.
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adjusting the valves is part of the first service at 900 miles or 1500 kilometers so most of us should have done that by now. My valves were pretty wide and that's consistent with what I've read online. Don't skip it.
    madrider5150, MrKiwi and Night_Wolf like this.
  6. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never understood the skipping of valve checks, the ONLY way to know if your valves are in spec is to check them. I got so tired of hearing from Honda owners, they never need to be checked, I rode my bike xxxx miles and they never needed to be checked. My Honda CBF1000 had 3 valves out of spec on it's first check and I needed to pull the cams and change shims. Big job on that bike, inline 4 but necessary all the same. Checking valves on a Guzzi, hah, easy peasy.

This, not so much...
    [​IMG]
    XT Traveler, DesertPilot and stokerel like this.
  7. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    Aargh! Major flashbacks here! Now I'll have be having nightmares :D
  8. sjc1340

sjc1340 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That right there is one reason I like dinosaur style bikes (HD)

I have been slow to put any miles on my new Italian love due to weather and work. Today was a rain free and sunny and warm day in East Tennessee so I ran errands on her.
    I bought this thing sight unseen after doing all kinds of research and reading what you guys reported on it. Today proved to me it is the perfect bike Ive been waiting for. I dig the low rpm and torque. The power is plentiful, comfort and ergonomics are outstanding. I didn't ride all day as my chores are piling up but after a trip to the blood bank, I decided to partake in a big city restaurant for takeout of course. Once I grabbed this scrumptious meal I decided to hit the highway and man o man. This bike handled better on the highway better than I could've ever expected. Truly an awesome machine!
    It is worthy of a little more sound so a y pipe and something different of a muffler is in order.

I thank you owners for sharing such detailed and positive reports! I couldn't be happier with this purchase.
    One side note, every single time I've been out on it and stopped somewhere, someone stops and admires it and want to know more. So far it hasn't been a burden, I suppose it never will be since it so bad ass!
  9. Redwags

Redwags Where's the Trail? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Full time RVer with Moto Guzzi stelvio or XChallen
    Otter
    As a side note. Did you ever figure out why the oil level disappeared after the continuous higher speeds.
    Has it been an issue recently??
  10. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    They're calling for rain this weekend, so I seized a chance to do another After The Apocolypse ride before it hits (ride report here). As i was heading home, someone smoked past me on a BMW M3 set up for track use. That fellow obviously knew exactly what he was doing behind the wheel. He was gone before you could blink. But the smell of hot metal and oil lingered behind, recalling that old song 'Red Barchetta' by Rush. I made the mistake of thinking about the lyrics, one thing led to another, and... there may be a moral here about the dangers of thinking too much. I appologize for cross-posting this both here and on the Wildguzzi forum, but... well... see note above about the dangers of thinking too much :D

"My uncle has a country place that no one knows about
    He says it used to be a farm before the Motor Law
    On Sundays I elude the Eyes and hop the turbine freight
    To far outside the wire where my white-haired uncle waits

"Jump to the ground as the turbine slows to cross the borderline
    Run like the wind as excitement shivers up and down my spine
    Down in his barn my uncle preserved for me a new machine
    For fifty-odd weeks to keep it as new has been an easy dream

"I strip away the old debris that hides a shining bike
    A brilliant Moto Guzzi from a recent modern time
    We fire up the willing engine responding with ka-chunk
    Tire spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime

"Well-weathered leather hot metal and oil
    The scent of country air
    Sunlight on chrome the blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

"Suddenly ahead of me across the mountainside
    A gleaming family RV wallows towards me, two lanes wide
    I spin around but take my time, this hardly is race
    Then head back down the valley as another tries to chase

"Ride like the wind without straining limits of machine and man
    Laughing out loud with glee and hope, not that I’ll need a plan
    At the one-lane bridge, the giants are back there in the countryside
    Ride back to the farm to dream with my uncle at the fireside"
  11. GazOz

GazOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in Australia and having map work done at the moment.
  12. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    No never figured it out and yes it still happens. No idea what could be the issue.
  13. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Beetle from Griso Getto and Wild Guzzi has said he is stopping remapping on bikes using the 7SM ECU that is installed on the California's and V85's. He has seen a number of ECU's bricked during the remapping process, it seems the 7SM is very picky on the process of installing a new map. Beetle has done maps for many Moto Guzzi's and I ran his map on my V7 with good results. He also put together a good guide on how to use GuzziDiag so he is very experienced in the process.
  14. GazOz

GazOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The fellow who is mapping my ECU had the same concerns, as did I, however after my ECU had a 6 weeks holiday in Italy it is now progressing exceptionally well. Not far off final stages but the corona has slowed us down due to travel restrictions.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  15. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rexxer?
  16. GazOz

GazOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I think he is using Rexxer but not sure what else.
  17. Mozman16

Mozman16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Sydney with a Zard and looking at by-passing the cat - keep us posted please
  18. GazOz

GazOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries I will give ride impressions when sorted. Bike has been mapped from 4 to redline. Still working on idle to 4.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  19. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:

Keep us posted on the results please !!

20. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20200327_041319.jpg
    This is how my Guzzi looks through my eyes for my 4am commute.

20200327_041258.jpg
    Same pic, but with the powers of flash photography!
    Here in Manitoba, Canada.That is 0 Celsius
    outside. Pebbled ice everywhere. Note the car tire track from the warm evening before, but none from rolling the bike out.
    Rain mode, check. Continued confidence in the Anaakees, double check.
    Super flat, straight, 25 kms commute, only happy about that on days like this lol.

MFS