1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Blueboarhound

Blueboarhound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's information on the Stelvio Rally (June 4-7, 2020) in Elk Park, NC over on the Southeast Regional section of the forum.

V85TT'S are welcome as well !
  2. Bommes

Bommes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did, but they had none.
    At least not last week, but yesterday i drove past the dealer on my way home and thought let's discus his face to face because I didn't like the feeling this gave me.
    A brand new bike, back tot the shops for at least a week and nothing in return.

So half hour later I came back home with a grey V85.
    And seeing it was a nice evening here I went out for a short ride.
    [​IMG]

Turned into a few gravel roads into a forrest with a few houses scattered around it.
    Nice place to live, and for me a plus, all the roads there are legal to ride on.

After a few minutes a saw a small mountain bike track, and I didn't see any people so far so what the heck.

[​IMG]

Some single track riding.
    With a bit of height difference here and there, very nice to practice my skills

[​IMG]

With a bit of throttle even street tires make this bike go through the sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In all I was out for a small hour to play around, bits of tar between the villages here where I live.
    And a bit a forrest as well, good place to remember to take my own Guzzi when it comes back.
    Love this bike, good 2 cylinder thumping along like a tractor on those small tracks.
    Gave me hot ankles though.. :D
  3. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    Excellent result. :D
    Bommes likes this.
  4. MNV85TT

MNV85TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm sad to say that my V85 will likely be going out to pasture and getting traded in. I took my best shot at the ADV life and I just can't dig it. The ADV riding position puts a lot of strain on an old shoulder injury (torn rotator cuff) that really starts to hurt after an hour or two, despite my working to strengthen my shoulder in the meantime. I've also got some issues with the local dealer network being awful (both sparse and less than competent in my experience), as well as some other niggles with the bike that I just haven't been able to reconcile.
  5. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that @MNV85TT

But if a bike doesn't work for you it needs replacing.
    Night_Wolf and RobertThePilgrim like this.
  6. MNV85TT

MNV85TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No joke, damn shame too, since I actually pre ordered the bike. My vin is less than #110...
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  7. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    What bikes are comfortable for you?
  8. MNV85TT

MNV85TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It kind of depends, but having a lean forwards to the bars helps with the downward pressure on my shoulder, which gets rid of the shoulder pain. Shorter reach to the ground is also nice, I've got a 30" inseam and can just barely tiptoe the V85 thanks to a couple extra pounds I could stand to lose. For reference, the Moto Guzzi Griso is just about the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, and I really like having a clean airstream over my body and helmet.
  9. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    I'd try lower and narrower bars first. cheap enough.
    is your suspension backed all the way off front and rear. possibley a thicker sole on the boots. I'm 28" and tolerate it OK!
  10. MNV85TT

MNV85TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did try a few things to try to take the pressure off, but nothing I did really seemed to make me "comfortable" on the bike. I think what I've found is that while I like the V85, I don't love it. It's a great bike in a lot of ways, and I absolutely love the brand, but it's not what I really want for riding. The "standard" bikes just call to me I guess. :D
    MrKiwi likes this.
  11. vagrant1947

Oddometer:
    did u try a V7III yet. I have both and love them both.
  12. MNV85TT

MNV85TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely did when I was considering a replacement for the V85, and it was a hoot, but I've never experienced a four cylinder bike before and I wanted to take a crack at owning a Honda for once.
  13. vagrant1947

Oddometer:
    variety is the spice of life. I just traded a Versys 1000 on the V85. fantastic do it all bike but taller than the V85 and boring. I do like the triumph triples but not the new price. they are a buy after someone else has taken the $ hit.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  14. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Yeah I get that. No matter what you do with the V85 you are not going to lean forward like you will on the Griso or their other sports bikes.

I'm the opposite, I got into these style of bikes because I can no longer lean forward, which rules out for me a whole big range of bikes.

All the best for your search of a new stead.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  15. dlmarquez

dlmarquez dlm

Oddometer:
    I am sort of conflicted as well, I love the look of the V85 but a standard motorcycle really works better for me, and I think a V7lll would be almost perfect. I could terminally farkle it and still be less expensive than the V85tt travel....and I am pretty confident that I can do most service/maintenance myself....tough choice! Wish I could buy one of each, but the V7 is pretty unique
    Kevm likes this.
  16. Bommes

Bommes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay...:(:

IMG_20200529_133225157.jpg

It's in bit's and pieces..

IMG_20200529_134123305.jpg

IMG_20200529_133248977.jpg

The guilty one, the crankshaft seal, that one is on the right in this picture laying on the ground behind the engine.
    Turned out they did not put it in correctly @ the factory.

IMG_20200529_134049178.jpg

But to see my brand new bike hanging in a few straps @ the workshop like this..:(:(

IMG_20200529_133327958.jpg
    Night_Wolf, motocopter and Grinnin like this.
  17. FREDO RIDER

FREDO RIDER Enjoying the path !

Oddometer:
    Holy Sh!#t !
    Night_Wolf and Bommes like this.
  18. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Oh, that's well and truly pulled apart.
    Bommes likes this.
  19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. Very interesting to see the pieces.

My "Like" there doesn't mean I wish this on anyone.
  20. motoretro

motoretro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was this all pulled apart as per the Service Manual in order to R&R the seal or were they looking for something else causing the leak? Did the dealer indicate he's seen this issue before?