Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. KRGaijin

KRGaijin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, here's first impressions on the MIA as a navigator...

Disclaimers: I got the MIA on a whim, and I am generally expecting it to suck, as most reviews have said. However, I'm also not planning on using it like it's designed; I don't want the Guzzi managing my phone calls or my music or any of that. My system works quite well (Cardo Freecom 4+ headset, paired to phone, does everything I need, and does it on all my bikes). So I have not paired my helmet to the bike, nor do I want to. If you want to do those things, the MIA has a lot more capability than I'm using, but I can't comment on the effectiveness or bugginess of that capability because I'm not using it.

I got it solely for the navigation feature, and I got that because I've been using a phone on the handlebars and frankly the bike's TFT display is roughly 1,000% brighter and easier to see than the Google Maps display on the phone, when in bright daylight. So...

I installed the Moto Guzzi app. It requires you to register an account before you can use it. I then downloaded the USA maps (which is nice; maps can be downloaded for offline use, around 6 gigabytes of space once you delete Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the Virgin Islands). I then paired the phone with the bike. Run the app, and from the app you have to connect the navigation to the bike.

From then on, the process is: the phone will automatically connect to the bike once the bike's on. Then run the app, and connect from the app to the bike (which is annoying; why can't the app automatically connect, like the Bluetooth connection does?) Then put in your destination in the app, and when you tell it to "start navigation", it will communicate to the bike and flip the screen into navigator mode.

I was surprised how much I liked the navigation. It's unobtrusive, it doesn't nag you, it just tells you exactly what you need to know, at a glance. There's generally a big arrow that tells you what direction your next turn is going to be (or roundabout or freeway onramp or offramp), and the distance to that next point. It also tells you what you're going to do after that (so, generally, it's like "in 1000 yards turn left, then in 1 mile turn right", but spelled out in icons). In text it says the name of the street you're going to be turning on. And it tells you the estimated time to your destination and the miles left in your journey. That's pretty much it. And, to me, that's exactly what I need.

It also shows you things like the current speed limit, and if you're exceeding that speed limit then it flashes the current speed limit. And it tells you all the necessary dashboard info too, like your miles to empty, the current time, what gear you're in, or your RPM, etc. It doesn't show the temperature or the odometer, but those are a button press away (hold the menu switch up for a couple of seconds to toggle between the normal full dashboard display and the MIA navigation display).

So what doesn't it do? Well, it doesn't show you an overhead view of your route, with businesses and points of interest. However, the phone does. In order to use the MIA navigation, you have to be running the Moto Guzzi app and using its navigation software, which seems generally competent. The phone will display the route while you're going, if you need that, and if you have the phone mounted on your bike.

I used it for about 120 miles today, and I have to say, I like it just fine for what it is. For a general nav unit, you find the address you want to go to, and it takes you there. If you miss a turn, it instantly re-routes and tells you the next turn to take. What I really like about it is, it's just there. Because I don't have audio paired to the bike, it doesn't nag me incessantly. If I want to go from Houston to Dallas, I can tell it "go to Dallas", and it'll give me directions. If, on the way, I decide that I want to explore one of the small towns or just veer off onto some country roads, it's not there constantly nagging me saying "in 1/4 mile turn left" over and over. Of course, the downside to this is you have to really be paying attention, because there is no audio prompt. If you want audio prompts, you can pair your phone to the bike and use the full MIA experience, or you can just run Google Maps instead with the phone in your pocket.

So why wouldn't you just mount the phone on your handlebars? You'll get a much more detailed display, more options, etc... that's true. Three reasons to consider the MIA instead:
    1) You don't have to have the phone mounted to the handlebars. So you don't have to unmount the phone every time you get off the bike, or take it with you every time you want to go inside somewhere, or worry about your phone falling out of the mount, or unhook your phone from the mount every time you want to take a picture.
    2) Vibrations can kill phone cameras. I've lost the phone camera on a Pixel 2 and on a Moto G7. Vibration isn't good for delicate electronics, especially if your phone camera has an optical image stabilization system.
    3) As said before, the bike's TFT is way brighter than most phones. Way brighter. At night it's not a problem, but in full daylight it's much easier to see and read the TFT display than it is to try to make out small details while shading the phone screen from the sun with your hand.
    4) Instant info. You get a great big turn arrow. You know what you need to do at a glance. I find I spend a lot less time looking at the phone screen, which is more eyeball time looking at the road and surroundings.

So that's my take on it. It's no Garmin Zumo XT. But it's got its own merits. I'll probably be using it more than I was expecting to.

Oh, one final note, someone earlier said there was a bug wherein the miles-to-empty didn't update while using the navigation? I can verify that is not the case now. With the latest updates to the MIA ECU, the miles-to-empty feature works exactly the same whether you're in navigation mode or on the regular dashboard.
  2. RyanDonahue

RyanDonahue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. The grey with red frame I'm a little unsure about but the rosso kalahari with the black frame looks interesting. Suppose thats a frame from one of the new khaki models? Those are the only ones that look like they have a black frame instead of grey.
  3. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks to me as if they've simply swapped the bodywork between both bikes.
    RedHawk47 likes this.
  4. BlueBluer

BlueBluer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think they swapped the panels - they didn't swap the saddles though. Like the new mix and match colours !
  5. RyanDonahue

RyanDonahue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More than likely that's it. They've been up on the site for a while now and it just seemed odd that they would pilfer a new khaki model (I'm assuming that's what they would have done to get the black frame) to build up these custom color bikes. Either way, like you said, I like 'em.
  6. BlueBluer

BlueBluer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't the sand, the grey, the all red and the blue all have black frames ?
  7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi old enough that I should know better Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like they have swapped the tanks and panels. The red frame comes with the red white and black tank and panels.

Pic of my bike...
    20200124_102555.jpg
  8. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They appear black from a distance, but I think they are actually dark grey or charcoal.
  9. RyanDonahue

RyanDonahue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought as well, that the new khaki edition was the only one with a black frame. The rest, besides the red/white/black and red/white/yellow all have a charcoal grey frame.
  10. RyanDonahue

RyanDonahue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike. That's the one I've been eyeing since release.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  11. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting back to the MIA, I'm glad you're happy with it. I prefer a Garmin 660 that I HAVE HAD FOR YEARS AND IT CONTINUES TO BE THE BEST gps i HAVE EVER USED. I have a Sena blue tooth on my helmet that I can pair with my Phone and Garmin. I not using a bunch of data off my phone and can make and receive calls and listen to Pandora. That's just my take.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  12. KRGaijin

KRGaijin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed the MIA wouldn't hold a candle to something like a dedicated Garmin. I keep talking myself into, and then out of, the new Garmin Zumo XT, but sooner or later I will probably give in.

If you have a unit that you can take between bikes, then connecting your helmet to it and your phone to it makes sense, and that's the way I'd go too.
    adventurebound9517 likes this.
  13. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    The picture I can take, resize I can do, not sure what you mean by "manipulate" & "edit" however
  14. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm referring to any sort of adjustments you might have to make. Adjust colour, remove background, touch ups, etc.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  15. 30yGS

30yGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have just fitted a Garmin Zumo XT to my V85 and it is brilliant, the screen is so clear and the words/numbers are a good size for my failing old eyes. It connects to my Cardo Freecom 1 better than any other GPS I have had (including other Garmins). Very happy with it.
  16. Doug Mclaren

Doug Mclaren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a ride around Weardale and Tynedale in the north of the UK on the V85TT this morning.

Two photos taken 3 years apart, both bikes after about 3 weeks of ownership.

[​IMG]DSCF3603 by Doug McLaren, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCF4323 by Doug McLaren, on Flickr
  17. KRGaijin

KRGaijin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gas tank experimentation has begun. I ran the tank until the last of the 8 bars on the fuel gauge just disappeared; the miles-to-empty had said "---" for about 13 miles at this point. And I had been driving very modestly. Filled up the tank, to the absolute brim, which involved "burping" the tank a couple of times to get air bubbles out of it. It took 5.5 gallons, implying that there could be as much as half a gallon left even after that last dash disappeared; I'll figure that out when I run the tank dry. And I put a gallon in my GasFlask and strapped that to the luggage rack.

[​IMG]

After filling it full full full, the miles to empty said 326; I had gotten over 308 miles out of this tank before refilling.

Today I was able to put 90 miles on it, and two bars of the fuel gauge have disappeared so far. It'll take a few days to drain this tank down. I'm trying to run at a cruise-controlled 55 mph whenever possible. So far the system is showing an average mpg of about 54, and the miles-to-empty currently says 264. Add that to the 90 already used, and it's claiming this tank will last for 354 miles, still in the ballpark with the original estimate of 326 for the full tank. We'll see what happens over the next 250 miles or so.

Attached Files:

MFS, XT Traveler, Grinnin and 3 others like this.
  18. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's consistent with what I've been seeing. I recall putting in about 5 gallons after 250 miles.
  19. RobertThePilgrim

RobertThePilgrim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, you are the opposite of Abe Lincoln :)
    MichaelJ likes this.
  20. Bent-Rim

Bent-Rim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm tall enough to straddle the bike when filling up. The tank fills fast up to the last 1/2 gal. It takes long time to trickle in the last 1/2 gal, I stop at the bottom of the cone in the filler neck. I get between 38 mpg to 42 mpg. I divide the miles ridden according to the odometer by the volume of gas I put in the tank. I don't pay attention to the dash #'s for mileage and range. It's all twisty roads around here, I avoid the freeway.
    OtterChaos likes this.