Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Green loctite on the threaded part and a little around the nipple. 3m 5200 really sticks to the surface more than you might think. No dots over the nipple. I did tighten all the spokes before the procedure. I had one minor leak that I had to go back in and reseal and the 3m tape allowed that leak. Thats why I feel the 5200 is what is doing the sealing not the tape. Will 4412 help keep things in place,I guess.
  2. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a long thread around here somewhere.
    I used the 4412 tape and nothing else on my Verysy-X, that tape is incredibly tenacious!
    XT Traveler likes this.
  3. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a little bit of heating and fiddling to change its curvature, I was able to more than double the clearance betwen the Aprilia Caponord Rally fender and the front tuire. See pictures below. Encouraged by this success, I thought, "Why not heat and reshape the Pyramid Fender Extyebder to get the best possible fit between it and the fender?"

Pro Tip: The melting point of the plastic Pyramid uses is signifcantly lower than the melting point of the plastic Aprilla uses in their fender. How, you may ask, do I know this? :D

x20r60.IMG_3970.jpg x20r60.IMG_3977.jpg
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Which size did you use?
  5. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given my newly established track record for melting things... maybe I won't try to seal my wheel rims to go tubeless...
    sjc1340, Bommes and Night_Wolf like this.
  6. hasselman

hasselman Motorcycle learner (since 1981)

Oddometer:
    Try melting the nipple to the rim. That should seal it.
    sjc1340 and DesertPilot like this.
  7. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    50mm wide on the front and 60mm wide on the rear
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I meant for the "dots"
  9. Bommes

Bommes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the one who must be obeyed still let you come in the proximity of the oven??
  10. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno yet... but for some reason we did take-out last night :D
    Bommes likes this.
  11. Bommes

Bommes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wel atleast your not the one that got taken out..:augie

Any of the owners in here that gotten the firmware/ecu of their V85TT updated?
    Are the result noticeable?
  12. Bent-Rim

Bent-Rim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did my first oil change at 3500 miles. 6500 miles seems like a long interval for an engine that holds less than 2 quarts of oil and I'm only getting 40 mpg, which seems to be less than normal. Living 10 minutes from 100's of miles of twisty goaty roads, smooth ones too, probably leads to that. I found my harmonic vibration when I removed the skid plate. One of the bolts securing the skid plate mounting bracket to the case had fallen out. It's impossible to get to without removing the skid plate so I didn't find it in my normal rounds of checking for loose bolts. It would suck if I have to start removing shit to find loose bolts as a part of normal maintenance. The bolts securing the skid plate brackets were of 2 different lengths, 2 shorter and 1 about a 1/4" longer. The skid plate bolts were of 2 different lengths as well, 2 long and 2 short. The parts diagram shows only 1 length of bolt for skid plate brackets, I ordered 1. It was the shorter bolt.

I do have an oil leak between the cases above the sight glass that the dealer is aware of and it would be covered under warranty. Not sure it if it's worth pursuing.

I've kept the bike stock except for Pivot Pegs that I bolted on using button head screws with nylock nuts. The circlips had the springyness of bailing wire, I didn't want to trust them.
    Pbro63 likes this.
  13. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    1/2"
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Thank you, added the info to the Links Thread
    XT Traveler likes this.
  15. Pbro63

Pbro63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    40 mpg? Curious if you're running the full touring bags and top case? Ride very aggressively?
    Maybe torque down the cylinder head bolts where that leak is coming from. I know the feeling of not wanting the dealer to fix minor seeping, on the one hand it could open a can of worms but on the other it could get worse and is always there to remind you.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  16. Pbro63

Pbro63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It seems adaptive headlights that look into turns for motorcycles are the hot feature these days . Not too long ago I rode up to Mount Wilson to watch the sunset with a friend and on the way home in the dark on the Mountain Road I really experienced why an Adaptive headlight would be such a great feature . When diving into turns it was like riding blind Into the night so I had to reduce my speeds greatly so as not to outpace the limited light at the edge of the headlight's throw. Even now with a bar mounted headlight the throw is down into a turn instead of up ahead into it. Reading about adaptive headlights looking into a turn has got me thinking. It's really not that complicated. Mount an extra pair of LEDs, point them way up high and out toward the edge of the road, tie them into an on-off switch and also tie them into your high beams so you can easily switch to low beam if a car approaches or if implemented properly this part may not even be necessary. The adaptive part is this , they only come on the side you are turning to when you are entering the turn and turn off when you exit the turn. The very very simple ingredient is a lean angle sensor which brings me to the next part of this pondering.

I still have boxes of switches , electrical connectors and miscellaneous components and sensors from when I ran a fledgeling motorcycle security system business back in the 90's. I have about 12 of these very simple and reliable mercury tilt switches. They come with leads and mounting brackets, all one needs to do is attach with one screw on a horizontal plane perpendicular to the road. The metal bracket is sturdy but thin enough to be easily bent to the angle of the point of engagement where the small pool of mercury rolls down the tube into the two electrodes thereby completing the circuit and turning on the light. When the bike is righted coming out of the turn it would turn off the light. Simple and elegant and I'm sure this is the exact manor in which BMW et all do their adaptive lighting. Whew...If anyone is interested in experimenting with this I would gladly set you up with a pair of these mercury lean angle switches at no cost, one for each side light. Just pm me and pay for shipping.

IMG_20201121_223813946.jpg
  17. hasselman

hasselman Motorcycle learner (since 1981)

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have adaptive turn lights on my winter bike. Will you ship to Finland?
  18. ScottTheFalcon

ScottTheFalcon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have as one of my current projects designing a very small circuit board containing a microprocessor, a 6 axis gyroscope chip, some digital and analogue I/O, and some automotive high side switches - to drive LED's. This project is to modulate additional brake lights more intelligently, and in particular, in relation to the rate of an urgent stop. I'm only interested in G force vectors for this - but it certainly will know if the bike is leaning over. Perhaps that's the driving circuit needed. Bill of materials cost is looking like about $20 in one off quantities. I'll open source it once it's looking like something. I've got a bit of other work over the next couple of weeks but I'll factor this idea in :)
  19. jrt

jrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should look into shipping regulations of mercury- It might be legal in the US, but I don't know international. And- do keep in mind that mercury is a persistent environmental hazard.
  20. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    It seems to me this switch would only work if the bike isn't moving when it leans.

When you are underway, the resultant force works through the contact patch of the tires up through the Cg of the bike. If you're straight up and down so is the force, if you're leaned over, so is the force. The mercury won't move aside from other forces like bumps.
    Grinnin likes this.