Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the V9 in mind when I listed 460lbs but typed V7III for some reason. A V9 weighs 440 without fuel, which puts it at 460 ready to ride. The V85 has to be heavier than a V9 because the frame, swingarm, subframe and suspension all have to be stronger to carry two fat Americans with all their crap bungeed to it for a two week trip.

A BMW 800GS Adventure weighs 505.
    A V-Strom 1000 Adventure weighs 515.
    A KTM 1190 Adventure weighs 520.

All three have much lighter chain drives. I think 525 wet for the V85 would be impressive.
    Lupin 3rd likes this.
  2. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, I talked to my dealer and I gave him a small deposit to get on a list. He did say they haven't gotten specifics from the factory yet, but they do this with Ducati as well. They like having the list to show the rep so that he can see there's actual interest. It also gets the dealer the first off the boat if they have the list with deposits. By doing this, they also will also +waive the dealer prep. Honestly, there's so little information out there right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the reps know any more than the dealers at this point. Guzzi played this one pretty close to the chest. I don't think anyone saw this bike coming.

At EICMA people were being told 2nd half of 2018. Honestly, the bike doesn't look like a cobbled together prototype. It looks like a complete product (other than the motor), but I would bet the biggest hurdle is homolgation for each country. I can't imagine it will take that long to flip the switch and go into production. I also can't imagine Guzzi dragging its feet on a bike that would be part of a very hot segment now. Strike while the iron is hot and all that.....

At any rate. I can wait. I have plenty of other Guzzi's to ride.
    bobw and XT Traveler like this.
  3. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Piaggio said that the bike wouldnt be out until 2020 as a 2021 model "for the 100th anniversary"

That's disappointing - I'm starting to run out of years!
  4. MayorOfBBQ

MayorOfBBQ Come at me bro

Oddometer:
    Well congrats, I can't put anything down until I hear an msrp... as hot as I am on it, if they want $16K+ for it, I'm out... I can wait two years and buy one for pennies on the dollar, like all used guzzi *snaps suspenders*
    juanfrancisco and Yard Sale like this.
  5. WitchCityBallabio

Oddometer:

Most generally speak of dry weights when listing weights. Adding crash bars, center stands, etc, will definitely add weight. FWIW, my 09 Stelvio is listed as 471 dry. That figure I'm sure is without any accessories at all, and probably without even the centerstand (god, that thing weighs a ton). I think 440 dry on bike with a trellis frame sounds reasonable. The Ducati Desert Sled does weigh 456 though, so who knows. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I know Guzzi stated a year or so ago that they wanted to make their next ADV bike much lighter. If they can keep it in the Desert Sled realm weight wise with 5 more hp and most likely, more torque, I think they'll have a winner.
    juanfrancisco likes this.
  6. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Jamie is awesome, the guy just purely loves all things motorbike. He'd surely do a great review for a Guzzi.

440 isn't a pipe dream at all, the V7iii and the V9 weigh in that ballpark. This ones sharing very similar engine/shaft drive with plastics instead of metal in a bunch of places. The new frame may just be same weight and stronger. Consider the V7 Racer with the ohlins is 10,000 so I don't think 11,000 is off target. Also from one of the dealers I trust.

http://hamlincycles.com/

Capture.JPG

I think he's quoting the factory spec on the V7iii Stone with 90% fuel.
    Capture.JPG

We're getting more feedback it's a 2018 model than a 2020.
  7. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I think 440lbs dry is very realistic, what did the R80 gs and R100 weigh? 410-455? And those had beefed up frame/crash bars. This bike really looks like a modern version of that. The V7 and V9 have metal? front and rear fenders plus dual exhaust and still weigh under 460 wet. When you look at the bike it really doesn't have bloat attached to it, it's basically a naked bike with a windscreen. If you look closely it even looks like they used plastic on the sides of the bash plate with metal underneath to save weight. Also as mentioned the Desert Sled weighs 456 and it's very similar in engine size/physical size.
    WitchCityBallabio likes this.
  8. WitchCityBallabio

Oddometer:
    larryboy likes this.
  9. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I now believe in mind reading, as Guzzi read my mind on this one. Cruise, shaft drive, simplicity, dirt legs, large fuel tank, shoud be decent weight, what a great platform to build an adventure bike off of. Hope it comes to market close to what we are seeing. A price of 14 to 15 K CDN and I wont be able to turn it down.
    Poor dealer network in western Canada though, no dealer in Saskatchewan so I will be shopping abroad.
    bobw likes this.
  10. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Questions:
    fuel tank - plastic or metal? The shape of the side panel indicate that they are plastic, but the joint between the black tank and the side panels indicate that they are in fact, side panels and it could be a metal tank. But when you look at the front of the tank at the support tubes for the upper head bearing you can see the tank wrapping over the support bar - not an easy thing to do in metal. This is a concept bike - we can always hope.
    rear frame/tail section? what's holding that up? Nothing that I can see. How will panniers attach? Again, this is a concept bike.

Dan
  11. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are right, but hope you are wrong as I don't think WitchCityBallabio and Mister Lee R have been this excited... Ever! Unfortunately there are a lot of other missing essentials you'd see on a production bike that suggest as much as well as the mixed messages about v85 and v5 -- this is Moto Guzzi/Piaggio & C. S.p.A. marketing at its typical worst with mixed messages and no consistent roadmap with respect to intended market release...
  12. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Check out the Shad 3p mount system. They have a nice set of cases that would attach to that trellis frame with just a footpeg attachment. Something like that design would integrate easily.

I think the tanks probably plastic. The two bulges on the side may be them adding capacity for more fuel, sort of like how the Stelvio has the two wings on the front that hold more fuel where most bikes just use plastic fairing peices to fill that area.
  13. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I won't lie I was waiting for a lighter Guzzi so I have high hopes. My dad's way more excited than I am, this is the one he wanted them to build. I do think this things probably further along than we think as the midweight ADV market is about to get a bunch of new models. The ADV market is much bigger in Europe so I'd think MG would be eager to get a horse back in that race as they don't sell cruisers much over there. I think they'll do well as I'm probably not the only one who loves my Stelvio but wouldn't mind something 200lbs lighter. It's basically the R80/100 G/S all over again.

Being ADV/Standards are the top sellers in Europe MG seems to have hybridized the two and I think it's a good move. Hopefully the new engines decent.
    Hoak likes this.
  14. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    While not as excited as you are, I am truly (though vicariously) enjoying your and WitchCityBallabio's enthusiasm for this bike -- I know what it's like when something hits all your buttons, and even surprise you and hits buttons you didn't know you had that could be hit.

I'd really like a clear story line from Moto Guzzi/Piaggio & C. S.p.A. -- is the v85 Enduro an actual product that will ship with the v85 power plant, or will it be supplanted with a similar machine with the v5 power plant, or is the v85 Enduro to ship with the v85 power plant pretty much as we see it and the v5 to appear on yet another ADV bike? Moto Guzzi/Piaggio & C. S.p.A. and the press have floated all three stories, and ship dates in the second quarter of 2018 and as late as 2020 -- WTF?!
  15. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    It would be great if they gave us solid dates and some actual specs for weight! I suspect the engine will be the hangup as it's got to get through EPA which takes ages. Maybe Europe will get it earlier?

It would be marketing genius to get Ewan Mcgregor on that thing and do a South America trip or whatever, they probably wouldn't be able to keep up with production. It seems such an obvious move and the guy loves Guzzis.

How are you liking the Tenere 700 World Raid? Looks like Yamaha is about to actually build that thing.
  16. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I think the larger question is: is the v85 power-plant just filler and a pinata for EICMA or is it an engine they actually intend to produce and ship separately from the v5?

Not too thrilled, the bike is still a concept bike, and Yamaha has been jerking people around with several quite different iterations going on three years. The CP2 *07 engine is very nice but re-purposing it to an ADV machine is not imho the best way to go -- as it's quite top heavy, may well ship with the same CR tranny as the *07 bikes, and if Yamaha wants to re-purpose a power plant they have much better, lighter, lower cg options they could go with...

[​IMG]

Yeah and even have shaft drive... Oh well...
    Lupin 3rd likes this.
  17. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I’m between the T7 for its very tall stature and pretty good looking suspension. But the Guzzi is strumming those “classy, but actually effective” chords in me. I’ve always wanted a Guzzi (Stelvio or Griso), and this one has been added to that list as well. I’m looking to buy this coming spring. I got a DR (for RIDICULOUSLY cheap-guy needed cash) that I’ve been wanting to build over the winter, but it may have just taken a back seat.

Something else I was thinking of regarding the Japanese companies: It looks like they’ve finally come around after the 2008 financial crisis. They’ve been so tame lately, downright boring. But first the Africa Twin, and now the T7? These are true competitors to the Euro bikes.
  18. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fascinating to see so much excitement over a new Guzzi. I like it too, so far.

On the suspension travel thing, I think they may have that about right with this concept. Obviously there is more than on most road bikes, so 6-7 inches. The point of long travel is of course the light springs you can run, but the downside on a heavy bike is fore-aft pitching, along with a high C of G.

With six or seven inches of well controlled travel a bike like this should be good on rough sealed roads and smooth unsealed roads. Which is where most of the market would be on something this heavy. In rougher going it would be bumpy but you could just slow down.

The concept looks great. Soft-core, but simple and capable. Here's hoping they can execute.
    bobw and aftCG like this.
  19. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:

I personally like the Guzzi because it's a better street bike (where I'm at 90% of the time) and it's stupid easy to work on. Guzzi usually adds a decent fuel tank as well. This one looks like it's going to be a great street bike but still deal with dirt road exploration just fine, just like the Stelvio but way lighter.

My conflict with the Tenere 700 is it remains a massive pig for a dirtbike. Why not purchase an AJP PR7 which is superior for dirt? It seems like it's outside the goldilocks range for a real dirtbike, but also missing the mark to be a good street bike. If you're posing down a forest road why not go Vstrom with the superior road bike? If you're actually capable the AJP seems waaaaay better it's what 335lbs dry? I think the market is way smaller regarding a big rally bike then people think. How many super tall rider's actually exist with the strength to manhandle a porky dirtbike? Seems like some would still attempt the look. Then realize when they tip over at Starbucks, feet flailing above the blacktop at every stop, that maybe that Vstrom was the right choice after all.... This is the main reason I think the final product will at least have a much lower seat height to gain access to more potential buyers. Why limit sales to NBA players? A light dirtbike with a tall seat is one thing, a 450lb one is another animal.
    bobw likes this.
  20. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    After watching the V85 walk around I do believe I'm in love. And probably financial trouble in about 12 months or so.

---WITGDHIGOH---