Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it also has something to do with fitness levels, muscle tone, diet etc . I see many who eat shit most of the time, drink soft drinks, fast food etc and are always complaining about this pain in this position, that position etc.

There again, I've never changed a single screen, handlebar, foot pegs or mirrors on any bike I've had, never found a reason to do so.
  2. stokerel

stokerel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just saw this on the MyTech Facebook stories, a quick peek at their new bask plate and exhaust guards. This was the best angle I could take a screenshot of.
    Looks interesting, but still think it may block too much the airflow around the oil sump.

Screenshot_20210505-144544_Facebook.jpg
    Bommes and Night_Wolf like this.
  3. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seats are subjective. I've had no problem for hundreds of miles on seats that were legendary for their discomfort. Indeed, I wondered what all the fuss was about. But for some reason -- some unfortunate combination of shape and foam -- anything over 200 miles on this seat leaves me with two bad pressure points at the base of my butt. It may be that I spend too much time working out, and would benefit from a bit more blubber over the offended body parts, but She Who Must Be Obeyed has vetoed the, "Hey, all I have to do is knock off the exercising, kick back in front of the tube, tank up on beer and chips, and gain 40 lbs!" plan. I don't know what it is about wives. They don't seem to understand the utter briliance of these schemes :D So instead, I'm going to try the Airhawk pad under the assumption that if it works, I can see how it squishes to get some idea what a better shape for the seat might be.
    Pbro63 likes this.
  4. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which model of the Airhawk or you going to try?
  5. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ordered the dual sport. Some reviewers suggest that you need to use a pad narrower than the seat so you don't just sink to the bottom of the pad while forcing all the air to the part that overlaps the side of the seat. If it arrives before this weekend, I'll see if I can force myself to do a long ride down twisty roads through idyllic California countryside to make some kind of report. We are wlling to make sacrifices like these on behalf of the riding community...
    Night_Wolf, mnuttall87 and Grinnin like this.
  6. fonzie56

fonzie56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Because I replaced the cat with a y-pipe, making it easier to do the basic maintenance. Most new bikes are delivered running lean from the factory. I'm simply trying to avoid leaning out the fuel/air mixture any further, especially during the heat of summer.
    Jayell likes this.
  7. redlinebob

redlinebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, she'll run richer in the heat of summer.........
  8. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another "butt pad" choice is the AEROSTICH SHEEPSKIN SADDLE PAD... https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-sheepskin-saddle-pads.html

cheers, M

1890_1a_3.jpg

Attached Files:

twowheeledgator and DesertPilot like this.
  9. Pbro63

Pbro63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 with the y pipe and Mistral exhaust the decel popping was severe and annoying. Not wanting to go down the rabbit hole of fuel mapping and $ pit required. I installed the booster plug recommended. Plug and play, problem solved. Still occaisional decel popping but nothing bothersome. Plus is that after 2,000+ miles i'm not worrying about a lean mixture condition and the bike still runs fine at all rpm's. Minus is fending off the naysayers posting that the booster plug is useless and I will ruin the bike. I'm not saying that remapping is not helpful or worth it, just that for me the cost and simplicity are worth it to be close but maybe not perfect.
    fonzie56 and Cal like this.
  10. borderer

borderer guzzi 2 shoes

Oddometer:
    Scottish borders best roads south of the highlands
    Shhh dont spoil his fantasy
    pub610 likes this.
  11. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Same here... bothered me at first, but as Night Wolf says, it always seems to settle if you just leave it alone for a minute.
  12. borderer

borderer guzzi 2 shoes

Oddometer:
    Scottish borders best roads south of the highlands
    Decel popping is caused by the SAS valve
    mnuttall87 and guzzijason like this.
  13. guzzijason

guzzijason Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on that. If you've removed the cat, then you might as well block off the SAS, as it's sole purpose is to make the cat work better, and without a cat, the SAS basically just functions as a "controlled exhaust leak" by allowing air directly into the exhaust manifold. You will never eliminate decel popping as long as that's intact.

__Jason
    X1Glider likes this.
  14. X1Glider

X1Glider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. The 2 go hand in hand. Leaving it in place negatively effects the pressure wave timing traveling up and down the exhaust, ruining your best potential volumetric efficiency during valve overlap and cylinder fill. In the closed loop parts of the fuel map, the FI system will try to compensate for poor mechanical performance with a result of poorer fuel economy and power. In the open loop parts of the map, you'll get hesitation, stuttering or erratic fuel/air/ignition timing mixes since the mapping is set in stone.

Is there a block off kit available? Or do people have to make their own at the moment?
  15. guzzijason

guzzijason Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You could cobble something together, but I used this kit on the V7III:
    https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7iii-v9-v85tt-sas-air-block-off-kit

The resistor just simulates the valve that gets eliminated. I'm not entirely sure what the ECU is sending/receiving from the valve, exactly (the description calls it a "pump", but it isn't... the Guzzi system is passive, and there is no pump involved. And frankly, I don't know if the valve is actually a valve, or simply a some sort of sensor detecting airflow indicating that the SAS system is "working". Some have said that you can simply cap the ports on the manifold and leave the [valve|sensor|pump] connected to the ECU, but not connected to the manifold and it will be fine, but... I can't vouch for that because I don't know precisely how that mystery thing operates, and if keeping it disconnected from the vacuum ports but connected to the ECU will eventually cause an error code or not. All I know is, using the kit works great, and cosmetically cleans up that SAS mess nicely.

Edit: parts diagram indicates that it is, in fact, a "valve". So presumably, the ECU signals it to either open or close at various times, and I guess the resistor just lets the ECU believe the valve is still there.

__Jason
    X1Glider likes this.
  16. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
  17. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
  18. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    -1 for sheep skin, they have never worked for me. Didn't do the sheep much good neither, just quietly.
  19. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tried several sheepskin; never seemed to make a difference.
    BeadRider. Seemed to help, particularly in the summertime with air moving under my butt making things cooler. But before the end of a four hundred mile day it felt like it was bruising my butt.
    Last summer I was thinking about more changes to my V7II seat when I bought a seat cover from "Sit and Fly". It is a plastic mesh; I'm curious how they make it. I had in on my V7 when we did a 1400 miles trip in four days. I don't recall having complaints about my seat; it must have made a real difference. They are in the Vender section on ADVrider.
  20. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I removed the EVAP cannister when I installed my air horn in the cavity. You can spend whatever cash you want buying a kit; I plugged my line with the bolt that came with the air horn :hide

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited to correct the system, I installed
    Cal and ScottTheFalcon like this.