1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, you've got that mixed up, Craig. You removed parts of the EVAP system, not the secondary air injection, or SAI. Your air injection is still fully intact, as it came from the factory.
    Night_Wolf, X1Glider, worwig and 2 others like this.
  2. ScottTheFalcon

ScottTheFalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a little hard to make out what's what there for me at least. I assume you pulled the hose (between the airbox and valve) from the air box and plugged both sides of that break. It sounds like that would work.

Obviously the ECU is measuring the current to the valve to ensure it's operation, hence the resistor in the GT Motorcycles kit to emulate the valve resistance. I like that kit and it's tidiness, but postage to AUS makes it expensive until I "need" something else he sells (stainless valve cover "special screws" anyone).

I've always intended on putting a Meerkat de-cat pipe on my non-existent V85TT. I'll be riding with Peter from Meerkat next weekend, I'm sure we'll have a detailed conversation about this matter :) Now that Winter Is Coming to AUS I'm not quite so urgent on the de-cat, and my bike could be another 6 months yet anyway...
  3. borderer

borderer guzzi 2 shoes

Oddometer:
    Scottish borders best roads south of the highlands
    Just realised you are supposed to take the skin OFF the sheep!! I thought I was getting funny looks and there was no way I could get my feet down.
    Night_Wolf, DesertPilot, jrt and 3 others like this.
  4. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those commenting on the surging upon start up after adding the Mistral Y pipe, do you have the last update for the ECU? When I had that done at Manic Moto in Queen Crk, AZ it now only occasionally gets a slight surge on startup. The decel popping is slightly more than stock on mine.

Re: Airhawk seat pads. Remember that you need to deflate it until you don't roll around on it. It really takes very little air to provide the "cush", I also use an Alaska sheep skin on top of it. For me, It's good for 500 mile days.
  5. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in Silicon Valley, we don't get much experience with farm animals, but sheep are these things, right? I've never had much luck using them for seat covers either.

Cape-porcupine.jpg
  6. X1Glider

X1Glider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The decel popping (after-firing) isn't harmful a least. Only annoying. Only back-firing is harmful (combusting on the intake side). And being a left coaster, you may be more noticeable with that noise to the po-po. That's where blocking the SAS is useful.

Normally unburnt fuel that gets exhausted out the pipe stays unburnt unless the heat from the pipe ignites it, but it still requires the negative pressure wave in the pipe to draw in fresh air from the exhaust tip so it can burn. The SASs job is to ADD fresh air into the exhaust all the time to help the cat work more efficiently. With all that available fresh air, unburnt fuel from the combustion chamber will now burn in the pipe, so you'll get more of this more often unless you block it all off.

Mistral and the others that make the Y-pipe should automatically provide the SAS block-off kit to customers, IMO. Or at least, they should write this as a footnote recommendation on the web page for the part and in the installation instructions.
    XT Traveler and Cal like this.
  7. X1Glider

Oddometer:
    Kiwis have learned not to mistake those for sheep from an early age.
  8. borderer

borderer guzzi 2 shoes

Oddometer:
    Scottish borders best roads south of the highlands
    Looking at the SAS system I assume that its not a powered device there are a couple of reed valves to prevent blowback and a valve which lets air through, I recon the valve just works by low pressure and the sensor feeds back to the ECU to say its open. I would assume therefore that if the feed pipe from the air filter is blocked then it should basically cut off the system. The only query would be whether the feed from the valve will still mess up the fuelling without a resistor? Any thoughts?
  9. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    where is it located & should it be removed :lol3
  10. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    As @Jayell pointed out, I apparently removed the EVAP components. To see what was there & how I shoe horned an air horn into the space, click the link in my sig file for the V85 TT Information & look for the Wrenching link in the left frame :deal
  11. X1Glider

Oddometer:
    Did you ever put all those removed evap components on a scale?
  12. guzzijason

guzzijason Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apropos of the SAS delete discussion, Todd over at GuzziTech just posted an illustrated how-to on doing so to the V85TT:
    https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v85tt-gtm-sas-delete.21449/

Originally, I wasn't planning on doing this when I replaced the slip-ons on my wife's V7III with cat-less alternatives. I naively thought that the closed-loop ECU would re-tune itself, and all would be good. I was wrong. The ECU did in fact self-correct *somewhat* for the new exhaust - the decel popping immediately after the swap was extremely bad, but after riding around for a bit, it calmed down somewhat. It never went away completely, and after a few days I realized I had to do some more investigation into this SAS thing.

After performing the SAS delete, decel has been smooth like butter. Also worth noting that that bike also got the GTM ECU flash, which had a profound effect - particularly on low-speed throttle jerkiness (I think the stock fuel map has like zero trim on closed throttle, which makes the throttle feel very much like an "ON/OFF" switch at low speeds, which is very irritating to me). Again, that bike is buttery-smooth now. Even moreso than my old V11 Sport, which makes me envious.

__Jason
    stokerel likes this.
  13. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    My V85 had deceleration popping even with the stock exhaust. They were just quieter.
    Night_Wolf and XT Traveler like this.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    SAM_2931.JPG Night Wolf and I out for a spin in the Alberta Rockies
  15. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about getting a Y pipe. This SAS delete interest me. Was not familiar with it. As for low speed hesitation, I do get a sense of that condition when ridding on an interstate in 6th. My ECM has never been updated at the dealer. If anyone has had their V85 ecm dealer updated where you satisfied with the latest version.
  16. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    No point as the air horn weighs more than what I removed :lol3
    X1Glider likes this.
  17. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:

Since I am not adding an exhaust & I don't have that type of cash for a remap; I'll be sticking with what I have. I can live with some decel popping & I don't notice any abnormalities with the throttle response at lower speeds
    Jay_Benson likes this.
  18. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I know Mocc's place really well; met him in NC at an Intruder Rally. He gave me permission recently to copy a bunch of his web pages on brakes for my Intruder site

Might even drop him an e-mail for his advice. Thanks
  20. Pbro63

Pbro63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    borderer said:
    Decel popping is caused by the SAS valve

I see so my next project will likely involve

1) installing this:
    per @Vagrant1847
    https://gtmotocycles.com/products/g...air-block-off-kit?_pos=1&_sid=7c219811c&_ss=r
    Here you go if you want it right and neat.

question : So if this stops exhaust popping would / could I still use booster plug? hmmm... I think the freer flowing pipe will still cause a leaner than factory fuel mixture.

2) remove the evap canister.

3) gut the tip valve to eliminate the pressure (+ or - ?) that results in a big swoosh of air at times when opening the gas cap.