Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oooh, look what I found! Check this one out! :clap

2. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sardinia is a great place to ride, did it twice on my old KTM 1290SA
  3. guzzijason

guzzijason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw a report on Facebook today that a guy in the US (Oklahoma) is getting ready to take delivery on his V85TT Centenario. First confirmed delivery in the US that I'm aware of.

__Jason
  4. SD113

SD113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh how I love the look of the Centenario and the V85 in general, not the McDonalds version. It's got so much going for it, looks, shaft drive, fun engine, cruise, heated grips on the Travel. I just keep coming back to reliability concerns. It seems like a mixed bag and it also seems like dealing with Piagio on anything is about as fun as a vasectomy. I badly want this bike to be reliable, I'm just concerned it's not. There are few good looking adventure bikes and this is one. Damn you Piaggio!
    tart and Night_Wolf like this.
  5. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be concerned with reliability at all. Oil/fluid changes, adjust valves = ride.
    And the vasectomy wasn't that bad either. No rugrats = no child support means more bikes.
    That Centenario color scheme is growing on me, and I just bought two new V7's with the killer closeout prices on the 2020's.
  6. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What concerns do you have about reliability?
  7. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a link?
  8. Dxhall

Dxhall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What were the killer close out prices?
    twowheeledgator likes this.
  9. SD113

SD113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh I just read a post by a guy who had his transmission replaced after much fighting with Piagio. Sounds like it only had 70 ml of oil in it? Dealer should have caught but it still ended up being a pain in the butt. Seems like the customer service stories I hear regarding Moto Guzzi are not very good. Other stuff i've read here; oil consumption, loose fasteners, stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, I really, really, want one, and I'd love to have a V7 Special as well. I am the dude that does his own maintenance, keeps logs, and does not let things go so I should be in the clear but...
  10. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then you won't have any trouble at all.

Place your order and ride!
  11. guzzijason

Oddometer:
    It was in the private group "Moto Guzzi V85". Wasn't much, but the guy said that his dealer confirmed arrival, it was going through PDI, and he was planning to pick it up later this week.

__Jason
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  12. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 2009 BMW F800GS that I put 39,000 miles on. I had clogged fuel injectors - the factory solution was to run injector cleaner regularly. The stator burned up. And a stalling problem that almost killed me several times; the dealer and BMW Germany had no idea what the problem was. One forty mile trip I quit counting after 30 stalls.
    Meanwhile once I got the initial bugs taken care of, I have put 36,000 mile on my V7II with no problems.
    Bottom line: any bike might have problems, those are the ones you hear about. most bikes don't have problems. If you are thinking about a different bike, read those forums too. And Guzzi's are easy to work on.

Dan
    SD113, DesertPilot and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. borderer

borderer guzzi 2 shoes

Oddometer:
    Scottish borders best roads south of the highlands
    I stopped to help a guy broken down on a honda VFR once, regulator had fried (apparently his third) He was saying he would like a guzzi but was worried about reliability. !!
  14. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now THAT is the funniest thing I have read in days.
    Years ago I had a Guzzi tech day in my garage. I was showing how to do simple maintenance. Oil changes, valve adjustments. A Honda riding friend of mine was there too, he drove his SUV. After a while he asked why anyone would have a Guzzi since you have to work on them. Mind you, we were talking oil changes and such. I asked where his Goldwing was. Turns out it had a broken throttle cable. As in, an oil change on a Guzzi means it is broken, but a broken throttle cable on a Goldwing is OK.

Anything can break. It is a matter of getting the part, fixing it, and enjoying the ride.
    Oldebonz, Night_Wolf, SD113 and 3 others like this.
  15. guzzijason

Oddometer:
    For reliability, I'd take an air-cooled pushrod motor with a shaft drive over just about any other configuration out there. Sure, some Guzzis can have some fiddly bits... the speedo drive on my 21 year old V11 Sport has been busted for a year now, and I finally got the part - but it still happily fires up *every* *single* *time* I push the button, and that's what matters.

Also, those that have been around the brand for a while know that they've been through some sketchy periods. In the early 2000s, it seemed like Moto Guzzi was on the verge of being closed down. From my perspective, they are in a much healthier position now than at any time in the past 3 decades (at least), Piaggio supply chain issues aside.

__Jason
  16. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    With the exception of some Chinese brands, my experience is that today’s motorcycles are as reliable as they have ever been. Looking across the brands I don’t think you will see anything that resembles Lucas electronics or an AMF Harley. There will always be brands and years or models that are better or worse but overall we are pretty blessed. But if we could ask my grandpa about motorcycles he rode he would chuckle at the idea that anything we have today is unreliable or maintenance heavy.
    I think it is relative and our perspective may be slightly skewed based off our modern experience.
  17. ScottTheFalcon

ScottTheFalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is not the US, but rather AUS - the news I got yesterday was that the 2021 bikes have arrived at the dock, to be at Guzzi's warehouse by mid next week, and in dealerships the following week - let's say the 26th May.
  18. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a phone call today from my dealer that my V85TT Centenario had arrived and they will have it set up in a couple of days along with the others of their allocation, all of which are sold.:rilla

Dan
    guzzijason, Wreckchecker, Cal and 4 others like this.
  19. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spot on! When I was in grad school at MIT back in the late 70s ("Gosh, were there PEOPLE then?") my summer vacation was

Step 1) Drive from Boston to our home up in Maine
    Step 2) Pull the cylinder head.
    Step 3) Take it apart and pull the burned valve.
    Step 4) Grind in a new one and put the head back together.
    Step 5) Bolt it back on, torque everything down, and reset the valve clearances.
    Step 6) Drive back to campus.
    Step 7) Add the old valve to my Burned Valve Collection -- sort of like Burning Man, only different -- on the shelf above my desk.

It wasn't much of a vacation, but I got fairly good at Steps 2-5. By the time I graduated, I'd gotten that part down to less than four hours. Strangely, this all seemed entirely normal :D
    X1Glider, Wreckchecker, Cal and 4 others like this.
  20. KeithGB

KeithGB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh for the days when vehicles were simpler and could be fixed at the side of the road and not need plugging in to reset codes and service lights etc.
    X1Glider, Cal and Night_Wolf like this.