Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    Scott, that's basically what I did a year ago. I used the Kimtex foil pad tapped right into the Guzzi H grip wires. Works reat and cheap and you can use any grip you want. The surging started 6 months later so I can't believe Guzzi when they blame it on them. I relieved the tension on the grip too but all was well for at least a month before the red light incident. I would easily believe it might have something to do with it but, Wayne's did the same thing and his is fine. So far.
    Here (I hope) is a video of this am's first start. Again, I won't get to ride it until next week.

Well that failed to load right.

Attached Files:

ScottTheFalcon likes this.
  2. Bloviator

Bloviator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, my take on the "stumbling/surging" throttle is that it is simply an issue of the bike having a very light throttle which responds to the very slightest movement of the hand. At least that is my experience and conclusion.

Chris
    Cal, hawkster and Oldebonz like this.
  3. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is your experience? Do you have experience with one or more V85s, if so what year(s)? What country are you in?
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the same as Bloviator it is a very light touchy throttle and the stumble surging while riding my 2021 feels like it happens more on rough roads where it is harder to maintain the throttle control. I also get a surging idle from 1200rpm to 1800 rpm when I first start the bike from cold, if I blip the throttle it goes away and does not return until the next cold start.
    hawkster and Bloviator like this.
  5. Bloviator

Bloviator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in Baltimore, MD, and ride a 2021 V85TT.
  6. Reichegg

Reichegg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have always liked the V11 models, they are just stunning.
    Could you compare your V11 with the V85TT? I know they are completely different bikes, but I'm interested in your opinion regarding the feel and sound of the engines, the ease of riding these bikes and its comfort. Is the TT really a leap forward with regard to the V11?
  7. guzzijason

guzzijason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could also be partly due to the stock fuel map, which may be a bit lean for emissions reasons.
    My wife's V7III had a jerky throttle, especially at low RPMs. Loading and aftermarket fuel map on it smoothed it out dramatically.

__Jason
    hawkster and Bloviator like this.
  8. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today's V85 project: soft attachment loops for the Mytech luggage lids.

There are many options for attachment points on the Guzzi aluminum pannier lids, some ready made and available for purchase, some homemade. The footman loop is likely the most common, but they're expensive for what they are, especially here in Canada. I also wanted to use existing holes, rather than drill new ones.

Enter the soft loop, made from some scrap material I found in the garage, cut to the appropriate length and finished with a metal eyelet from the local arts and crafts store. A longer M5 bolt than the original will be needed. I used stainless steel buttonhead bolts, and cut them to length, because a bolt should never be longer than necessary. Right? Don't make the loops too long, or they'll beat themselves to death when not in use.

Intended for light loads only, I'm using the small, "commuter" ROK straps, rather than the typical larger ones. The photos show a sleeping bag strapped down; this is an example only.

Finally, I attached plastic cable clips on the inside, with a washer on either side and an M5 locknut. These might be used to attach a small mesh net or something similar. Don't tighten the nuts too much; allow the clip to "float".

So, an easy project, functional, lightweight, as cheap as could be, entirely reversible, and not too unattractive, I don't think. It remains to be seen how durable the loops are. If my stuff goes bouncing down the highway, I'll have the answer! IMG_20210723_123304384.jpg IMG_20210723_125031441_MP.jpg IMG_20210723_150140452.jpg IMG_20210723_125420151.jpg IMG_20210723_125808459.jpg IMG_20210723_130020784.jpg IMG_20210723_131324310.jpg IMG_20210723_140856224.jpg IMG_20210723_140259154.jpg IMG_20210723_140719809.jpg
  9. chethro

chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    What size Sit & Fly cover have folks bought for their V85TT's?
  10. Bloviator

Bloviator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you call those rubber "bumpers" made by Givi that attach to the engine guards where the cylinder heads stick out? How about that for a most scientific description?? :lol3
    Thanks!

Chris
  11. CJSRider

CJSRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased an extra large. Today was the first long ride that I tested it out. I can really feel the air flowing on the seat. I am very pleased with it

Attached Files:

chethro likes this.
  12. ScottTheFalcon

ScottTheFalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I call them engine guard protectors for what that's worth. They're generally made from ABS plastic. I bought a set off eBay under the description:
    "Black Outer Diameter 25MM Crash Bar Protector Set For BMW F750GS F800GS R1200" - for about AUD10 a set
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  13. jrt

jrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had both and yes, they are very different. The V11 is long legged and runs like muscle-car (think US early '70s V8, Mustang or something). I had a 2001 model, with the shorter steering stem and it still was slower to turn in than the V85. Not a bad thing- it was rock-stable at any speed and great to carve long corners on. It sounded beautiful with open Mistral pipes, but there was no fueling adjustment available when I had mine.
    Both engines rev up quickly but the V11 was easier to ride at lower RPM (no surprise- bigger engine, more torque). Mine was very smooth...
    Seating was a lot more cramped in the leg, but longer in the arm (like a monkey). Both are great bikes.
    Reichegg likes this.
  14. Oldebonz

Oldebonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a reply but does anyone know of a dongle to bypass the side stand switch on the V85TT? The switch looks vulnerable to rocks etc. which could lead to stranding where least convenient. I had them on my KTM Adventures, easily available. I have searched this forum,links,internet to no avail. Thinking of removing it,leaving it wired but taped in closed position and tucking it into a safe spot on the bike. Thanks for any help in this matter!
  15. Bloviator

Bloviator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  16. ScottTheFalcon

ScottTheFalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From a safety perspective I would certainly go the "dongle" route rather than removing the switch. I mean plugging in the dongle if an incident occurs to get home.

It looks like here's another variation between Euro 4 and Euro 5 bikes. Probably. In the circuit diagrams for both models it looks like a 4 pole side stand switch. On the Euro 4 bikes it looks like only 2 are wired, to a connector under the left side cover - photo below. On the Euro 5 bikes it shows 4 poles wired so presumably a different connector under the cover. When I get my bike back I'll check it out - I think this is a worthwhile spare to carry (the dongle we'll make). The wiring on the bike should be fail-safe, so a "short" or closed circuit would mean good (stand is up), and our dongle will simply be a short. You could test by disconnecting the plug and observing behaviour - if you can then put a running bike into gear then you don't need to buy or make anything.

I can't identify the connector type from this photo, but it shows where the side stand switch connector is:

Screenshot from 2021-07-25 13-17-21.png
    Jayell likes this.
  17. MattMADV

MattMADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh, wow. They are totally different. The V85 TT motor has a tinkerbell quality to it, it spins up light and easily. It hums and ticks. The V11 is more like a 1969 Camaro. The throttle hits with a wallop, it is heavy. Its got more Guzzi clackitty clack. The gearbox is not a smooth. The V85 TT tips in eagerly and has lighter steering. Both track around curves well. The V11 feels much more powerful, even though it only has 10hp more and 10 ft lbs more torque. And it should be obvious, the V85 is more comfortable for a long day in the saddle and capable of real off-road riding (not rallying).
    Reichegg and jrt like this.
  18. Reichegg

Reichegg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your comparison, Matt! Much appreciated!
    By chance I had the opportunity to sit on a black V11 Le Mans yesterday. Such a beautiful bike, but the pegs are placed way to high for me. I can imagine the V85TT is much more comfortable.

JRT, I saw your comment only just. Thank you as well! A 'muscle car on two wheels' seems to be the right definition for a V11 apparently!
  19. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    XL 5E0B4E70-9EC9-427F-80CA-D1C42C97E22A.jpeg D0FF85C5-7DD3-4C4D-A011-28B680936A4C.jpeg 8E6CF820-92B7-4CC5-B2D6-F3C09A417CFC.jpeg
    jrt and chethro like this.
  20. Oldebonz

Oldebonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you!