Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Bloviator

Bloviator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta say - I am really impressed with the rev-range of that 3rd and 4th gear! I have ridden the bike now for 600 miles and it is a hoot!!
  2. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:

YES! It's a great twisty mountain road bike. 1/2 the shifting (or less) than the 15 & 17 V7's i've owned.
  3. vagrant1947

Oddometer:
    So, continuing on with my check engine light saga. I took it back to Marietta today and he pulled it right in. Code P0134. Left lamba functioning but not switching. He pulled the plugs, original,, but re-gapped to .031 at 14,000 miles now at 18461. At 14000 they looked like new and nobody here had them so I ordered some new ones but never put them in. Today they were quite sooty. I question a bad tank of fuel and that would also explain the poor running. Anyway, new plugs, code cleared, test drive by mechanic was great according to him. Let's hope this BS is over.
    Now, to save you the headaches, Guzzi claims you need to change plugs at 10,000 miles.
    Only other good news is it was just under $100. for everything. I know he spent over two hours on it and reading the book. He only charged $14.95 for the plugs and that is about as cheap as you will get them.
  4. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope this has cured your woes.

BTW, Guzzi calls for spark plugs to be replaced at 30,000kms or 18,600 miles. Doesn't hurt to change early, though.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. vagrant1947

Oddometer:
    Intresting, I didn't look and mine almost made it that far. Mechanic claimes either they told him or he read it while researching today that it's 1000. I commented it was strange that the same type of plug if run in a newer car would go over 100,000 without touching it.
    Finicky bastards these new bikes.
    I should get 500-700 miles on it this weekend and another 1000 next week. After that I will pronounce it fixed.
    mnuttall87 and KingOfFleece like this.
  6. GazOz

GazOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope it all goes well. I had difficulty getting the Iridium plugs so on the advice of my mechanic I use NGK CR8EK plugs. They have been in for 10000k now with no problems.

Attached Files:

7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Iridium plugs in my v strom 650 have been in for 70,000km why would the MG be any different?!
    Lav1200, stokerel and Night_Wolf like this.
  8. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    At a guess I'd say its a consequence of tighter emission controls. Leaner running, maps, EFI systems. Plugs may be running hotter than 5 years ago.
  9. rac3850

rac3850 ............

Oddometer:
    This is from my 2021 Travel owner's manual. Plugs every 30,000 KM or 18,600 miles. Still seems short to me for iridium plugs, but heck, there's only two. My prior 2 cylinder bike scheduled 4 plugs at 20,000 miles.

upload_2021-8-5_8-58-11.png
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  10. CJSRider

CJSRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My BMW RT wants plugs every 12000 miles NGK says the plugs are good for 50000 miles. I think the air cooled or air-oil cooled motorcycle engines are harder on the plugs.
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Completed my 1500km first service on my 2021 this afternoon, took about 3 hours. Castrol 10x60 supercar oil. The left exhaust valve was .15mm the left intake was .16mm, the right exhaust was .22 the right intake was .10mm.
    So only had to adjust the left intake and the right exhaust.
    The small clip that holds the spark plug wire to the valve cover was easy to get off by raising the tank a couple inch's, I took out the 3 tank bolts and disconnected the fuel line and put a 2x4 under the tank. The spark plug wire clip bolts were torx 10 and they were finger tight both sides, did not require the t10 wrench!!, why would you mix allan head and torx :dirtdog.
  12. guzzijason

guzzijason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heard from my dealer today about the 2021 idle problem. So far, they have not yet gotten it sorted. They did mention that apparently Piaggio is working on putting together an updated service bulletin for the problem, so fingers remain crossed. It is strange to me how some bikes are having persistent problems with this, while other (most?) are perfectly fine. I wonder what that variable is.

I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with their decision to replace the "old fashioned" Guzzi crank position sensor with a new configuration starting in 2021 that is integrated into the alternator, with the sensor wires now being bundled together with the hi-current 3-phase AC. If the bike were still in my hands currently, one thing I'd like to test is... can you unhook the alternator from the R/R and recreate the idle problem while just running off battery? That could be an interesting test, because if it can't be replicated that way, then it means that the interference is actually coming from within the alternator or possibly the 3-phase wiring. I mentioned this sort of test to the guy I spoke to from the dealership, but I'm not sure he grokked what I was getting at.

__Jason
    Cal likes this.
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jason
    My 2021, when I first cold start it, the idle varies or hunts from 1200 to 1800rpms but if I blip the throttle it settles right in to 1400 and then a few minutes later it settles to 1200.
    Oldebonz likes this.
  14. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once you are riding do you notice any aberrations in how it runs?
  15. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my 2020 travel at the same dealership. Nice people, but I think their a bit challenged in the service area. I took my bike to them for a ECU update. As they went through the process,I was checking out the bikes in for service. Pretty much a collection of off brand junk. Hope it works out for you,but you have to start rattling Paiggio's cage for answers.
  16. patched

patched Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cal I left off the extra clip that holds the spark plug wire on my first service! Now i did not have to raise the tank on my 5000 mile service! YMMV.
    Cal likes this.
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really . It is my first ride by wire bike and the throttle is pretty light and twitchy so it took some getting used to. Bike seems to run great. I like the cruise control but would love to have an old fashioned cable twist grip like Ive had for 40 years:lol3
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    After dinner tonight I was thinking the same thing!! Should have left the clip off, next time at the 10,000km or yearly winter service....we have long winters here, so need some thing to do.
  19. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have heated grips?
  20. jgad60

jgad60 n00b

Oddometer:
    I definitely feel "aberrations" in my '21 Centenario. Inconsistent, intermittent, usually very subtle but occasionally significant, always very brief but sometimes many times in succession, surging/stumbling. Feels like a fuel supply issue but I have no previous experience with drive by wire and computer controlled fuel injection and ignition. I imagine it has to do with that. My dealer is "looking into it" with Piaggio.