Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. jrt

jrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry- that was unclear. I reamed out the length of the tube- I thought it was the non-throttle side, but I could easily be mistaken on which side. It did not seem like much of a deal at the time. One side fit really well (friction fit) and the other was just crazy tight. After sizing the one side, I used the Oxford glue (cyanoacrylate...or crazy glue) and that was enough lubrication to get them on and in position before the glue set.
    The inner part of the grip is pretty thick rubber, so there was plenty of meat to remove (1/32" or probably less) before I would ever have gotten to the wiring. And they are STIFF.
    Yes, I'm aware they came in various sizes- I ordered a size that matched what someone...maybe here...posted.
  2. jrt

jrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One other option is that the eye is on a ball joint? I don't think that is likely, but it would explain movement. In this case it would be swiveling, not lateral or longitudinal. Those two are not cool.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same shock and the eyelet is like a ball joint it swivels within the sleeve if that makes sense. There is no up.down fore and aft, movement
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I'll be dropping a message to The Shock Factory & see what shakes out. It is the shock that they sell for the V85, so I'll assume it's the correct specs & yes it's swiveling on it's axis
  5. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's mounted on a spherical bearing, typical for a shock and not unlike the original shock. The movement in the bearing is by design.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  6. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does your shock fit the same way as Craig's? In other words, do you share his complaint?
  7. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    He didn't even notice it until I sent him a message yesterday asking if his moved. Had mine installed & removed it until I heard back. Seems to handle fine
  8. GazOz

GazOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the idea mate, I installed my mirrors today, good stuff. My son reckons the oem look like caravan mirrors LOL.

Attached Files:

9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine fits and moves just like Craig's.
    Seemed normal to me so I asked him to email Mike at The Shock Factory. Ive run the shock for 4700km
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  10. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick review:

I’ve loved the looks of these since they were announced. To me, it looks even better in person. Build quality appears very high. These truly are a great value.

I was hoping this could be an all around solution, to where I would only need one bike. Sadly, it didn’t mesh well for me. The engine is very uninspired. Absolutely loved the loud, and positive feedback from the transmission. But, it’s not a fan of fast downshifts. Lastly, I’ve realized I don’t like the feel of a driveshaft. Not having to deal with a chain, is alluring but just can’t get used to the feel.

It’s a very good bike, just doesn’t fit my riding style. Glad to have a solid dealer nearby, that allowed a test ride with zero pressure.

02D3FF2B-5B25-487C-ACF9-BEEEDD06A240.jpeg

Ugh, seeing the above photo makes me want it regardless! I’ll be snagging a new Tuono, and will wait for the tuareg 660
    Night_Wolf, Oldebonz and dbarber996 like this.
  11. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the "slop" your talking about is normal movement for the shock mounting bushings.

My stock Guzzi shock started squeaking a few weeks ago and I found the bushings were corroded due to lack of grease. After cleaning and re-greasing the bushings, there's now about 1/8" of rotational movement in the shock mounting bushings.
    So a small amount of rotational movement is normal for a properly serviced shock bushing whether on a stock or aftermarket shock.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  12. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    Just took a weekend trip with my son to the other side of the state (the Atlantic is so much better than the Gulf, imho). About 500 miles of riding in all. We had some kind of rain each of the three days of the trip. A lot of love bugs between Yehaw Junction and Frostproof. Not as bad as I have been in in the past. My son seemed to get the worst of them. The showers the last 30 minutes of our ride cleaned them off.

And it seems I am officially a member of the Herky-Jerky Cold Running Club. After about 15 minutes it runs fine. It just started running this way since I returned from my trip out west.
    To be fair I am still waiting on an O2 sensor from Italy but it has been tripped for a long time and cold running has not been a problem in the past even with the check engine light on. Sigh….

it was still a pretty nice trip.
    CAE1A5E0-0499-4783-91D1-C6EDA6F2FD28.jpeg
    5E1DE8CC-3204-4677-991A-13F46FD91D8F.jpeg 3ADB9431-23CF-45E7-80D4-3824CAE6EE29.jpeg CB61AC73-E336-418F-96D8-EA8AA24F29BD.jpeg AE8C127C-C265-4E61-A4C1-8C96B10DB6B3.jpeg
    fastring, Night_Wolf, MFP and 3 others like this.
  13. Bloviator

Bloviator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to mention the rather questionable decision by HD to place the fan blowing the heat from the engine on the riders left leg....duh!
  14. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    I noticed the inside of my skidplate has a nice coating of oil. Before I dig into more, any of you experienced any oil leaks. From my quick look around last night, seems to be coming from the bottom half of the engine block, just not sure where yet.
  15. ScottTheFalcon

ScottTheFalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But the Taureg 660 is as ugly as a Tenere 700, I mean butt ugly. And I own a V-Strom, I know what ugly is :) Oh, and I own a mirror (:
  16. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    I had the same (as several others). My pan bolts had to be tightened. Solved my problem.
  17. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Hopefully have an answer tomorrow
  18. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    On the front of the motor there are two Allen head “bolts” that can leak. They are the big black ones. I think they are called covers. The upper left one leaked on mine and I tightened it.

if you remove the right exhaust cover you can get an Allen wrench on it.

Or it could be your oil filter cover bolt.

609E725E-D5B2-47B3-9703-7F43C44E6D76.jpeg
    Night_Wolf and NuckaMan like this.
  19. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Measuring the width and the ID of the bearing of the new shock will provide a definitive answer. If these numbers are the same as the original, then any so called "slop" is simply movement inherent in the design of a spherical bearing. The original shock moves, as well.
    Cal likes this.
  20. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine did the same thing. In my case it was the oil filter bolt that was loose allowing it to drip.
    NuckaMan likes this.