Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    ? for the owners of S-10's. I was looking at a dealer's web site last week (large one) and he showed a 2013 S10 brand new 0 miles. How can that be? What's it worth. I need a spare bike.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  2. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    On a more cheerful note, tomorrow I will head out for Texas (MotoGP WOOT WOOT!). No road that starts with an I. Eating lunch with some friends in Ocala and then 27 to Perry. Swoop under Tally. Head to North to Alabamy somewhere between Panama City and Pensacola. I hope to be sleeping somewhere around Andalusia and Evergreen.
    For now I am preparing my mind for Alabama with some amber liquid and Cody Jinks.

Edit: if you live between Andalusia, Alabama and Austin, TX and want to get a bite or ride a few miles, hit me up.
  3. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    '13 S10 owner here. The original owner bought my S10 brand new in December of '15 as a leftover and put it on the road in the Spring of '16.
    I bought it from the OO in June of '18. Apparently '13s were abundant as leftovers at one time as most folks in the market for a new S10
    knew that the GEN2s were going to be released in the MY '14. The GEN2s ('14 - Present) have a bunch of improvements from the GEN1s ('12 - '13 in the US).
    It is completely possible that a '13 S10 is laying around either uncrated or crated in a dealership right now.
    The S10 has never been a big seller in the US but it has developed a cult following with quite devoted owners (as am I).
    The asking price from a dealership for the '13 leftover in question with the way the market is now can vary from $7K- $10K IMHO.
    Of course the tires would have to be replaced and there are two GEN1 recalls available that are both regarding wire harness upgrades.
    If you need more info on S10s let me know, I would be glad to help.
    The S10 is a really good, robustly overbuilt, extremely reliable, almost "Do-It-All" bike and of course it is a "Shaftie".
    vagrant1947, Night_Wolf and Bloviator like this.
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Not yet :patch I will post the answer when I hear, as I have a feeling others are interested
  5. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Does it have "character" & "soul" :becca as apparently a bike without those traits is not worth owning :baldy If it does, can you explain it to me, as I still don't understand what the phuqueing fanboys are talking about :doh
    Cal likes this.
  6. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what's someone's name got to do with anything Piaggio manufacture? Apologising for bring a racist doesn't give you the right to be one.
  7. jgad60

jgad60 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not you. Mine did the exact same thing. I was second guessing myself as well and swapped bikes with a friend and his 2020 V85TT. I initiated a warrantee claim and my dealer said they were able to replicate the stumble/surge issue on their Dyno with the bike plugged into the OBD. They have been waiting for three weeks for Piaggio to tell them what to do.
    dbarber996 and Night_Wolf like this.
  8. jgad60

jgad60 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not your imagination. Mine did the exact same thing. I was second guessing myself as well and swapped bikes with a friend and his 2020 V85TT. I initiated a warrantee claim and my dealer said they were able to replicate the stumble/surge issue on their Dyno with the bike plugged into the OBD. They have been waiting for three weeks for Piaggio to tell them what to do.
    dbarber996 and hawkster like this.
  9. dbarber996

dbarber996 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the added feedback. I was going to report this to my dealer when I go in for the first service, but maybe I should do so immediately to add additional reporting to Piaggio. They need to address this with a mapping update ASAP. I rode a couple hundred miles this weekend and the bike continues to surge. I mean, it throws my head back a tiny bit that's how unexpected it is.

I was riding two-up and asked my wife if she could feel it. She said she couldn't, as it was mixed in with the feeling of road bumps. But then I told her to watch my head. I know when I'm going to open the throttle more and am always "prepared" for it, if you know what I mean. The only reason my head would kinda jerk back a touch is if there's unanticipated acceleration. Then she noticed it.
    hawkster likes this.
  10. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The surge issue seems to be very bike-specific. My bike can surge slightly at idle, but only after startup, and only when when it's stone cold. Or V85 cold as the case may be -- I believe that 'Stone' is a V7 :D As soon as I blip the throttle, the problem goes away.

This raises the question, what could possibly be different between bikes that have the problem and ones that don't? One imagines it has to be something in the ignition or fuel injection hardware -- it can't be just the mapping if we're all using the same map -- but what? Sensors? Wiring? Injectors? Throttle body? Possesed by demons? Aliens trying to harvest us as food animals or keep us as beloved household pets?
    XT Traveler and Drybones like this.
  11. stokerel

stokerel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's obvious the Euro4 and Euro5 models are significantly different with regards to both fuel maps but also sensor placement and wiring so I'm willing to bet these are all side-effects of Piaggio squeezing E5 compliance out of an air-cooled pushrod 2 valve per cylinder motor...

There have been reports here of a service advisory for the Euro5 model which involved re-routing part of the wiring harness under the gas tank to fix the surging/stumbling so not sure if this has been checked/attempted by all folks experiencing this?
    XT Traveler likes this.
  12. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    I spent yesterday morning riding some back roads with friends. We go to our lunch stop a little late and lunch took a little long. It was nice to sit and chat but I needed to head north and they needed to head south.
    I took little county roads through the Goethe Forrest up to High Springs, Fl and then West. Very nice riding in almost empty roads. By the time I got to Perry I was pretty exhausted. I pushed through another 4 hours or so to get into Alabama.
    This morning I pulled out of Andalusia, AL about 7:00 with a temp of 60F (about 15.5c). I was cold and the bike was not happy either. After about 5 miles or so it seemed to be fine.
    And since I was in Alabama I had to put some Alabama Shakes into my helmet. Good stuff on a cold morning.
    I found this cool plane next to a little airport:
    E0171133-FA2E-482F-A97B-20749FC4B756.jpeg
    Crossed into Mississippi a little before 10:00am
    4463FD4D-DC2A-4F47-B2A8-7DC8AECC1145.jpeg
    Stopped for lunch at the Main Street Cafe in Collins, MS. Fried chicken, black eyed peas, red beans and rice with jalapeño cornbread. Man!! Was it good. If you are in the area and like country cooking you gotta stop here. B18498BC-070E-4304-85AB-56F76ADA5498.jpeg
    Headed to Natchez for the night. I need some suggestions for some Missippi tunes.
  13. TF3rguson

TF3rguson n00b

Oddometer:
    This post is a little old, but thought I'd give my input, since I was recently making the same decision. I was coming from a 2019 Tiger 1200, which was all bells-n-whistley and had stupid amounts of power (145-ish, I think). My main gripe was that, especially with a pillion and a full tank, it was just ridiculously top-heavy. Even with my long legs (I'm 6'4"), every stop light was an "adventure" to keep the thing upright. This was such a distraction that it could make riding it almost unenjoyable. So, looking to downsize about 100 lbs or so, I went looking at the Tiger 900, which I'd heard really good things about. The Triumph dealer also sold Guzzis, so I did a bit of research into the V85TT, and saw lots of good feedback from owners - for different reasons.

I test drove both back to back, thinking that the Tiger would probably be my choice. The Tiger is admittedly an amazing bike, and just does everything you ask of it, however I chose the Guzzi. One part of the reason was the lower price, but the bigger part was just that it felt more like what I wanted from a bike. The looks were also more to my liking, as I've never been a fan of the "praying mantis" styling on modern bikes, like the Tigers & GSes. To me, riding it felt more "motorcyle-ish", if that makes sense. You could *feel* the engine, and you could easily tell what it was doing based on load, rpm, etc. The Tiger was just "yeah, I'll do that" in almost any situation. The Guzzi was like, "okay, I'll do that, and I'll tell you all about it". In short, to me, the V85 just had more "character".

I got the Centenario model, mostly because it came with a full set of $2k worth of hard-cases for only an extra like $700. I've had it for about 3 weeks now, and I just love it. Installed a center stand and crash bars on it over the weekend, and looking to do some more stuff in the future. For me, it just feels like a much better fit than the Tiger.
  14. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is everybody using the same map??? Does anybody really know???
    There's also the issue of rider perception. Anyone who's ever worked on vehicles for a living has had vehicles brought in for an oil change running on half of it's cylinders or one flat tire, unbeknownst to the operator. I think it's safe to say that there are riders who don't notice what to some is an intolerable condition.
    Night_Wolf and DesertPilot like this.
  15. dbarber996

dbarber996 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm the one who posted that and I ended up with a V85TT for all the same reasons you describe!

I'd also add that this decision had equal input from my wife. Big reason for this bike was for us to do two-up touring that's not really practical on my other bikes. For her, there was also the intangible "romantic" aspect of Guzzi's 100yr history, same factory, the bike being made in Italy, etc.

She said the Tiger felt too clinical. And, although the Triumph felt very high quality, it's still made in Thailand. Hard to stomach the $18k pricetag when Triumph sends production off-shore, all while still festooning Union Jacks everywhere. It rubs me the wrong way...
  16. dbarber996

dbarber996 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is yours a 2020 or 2021? Is the idle surging the Euro4 bikes whereas the surging while at speed a Euro5 thing?
  17. TF3rguson

TF3rguson n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep - same here. Looking to do some touring on it, both one and two-up. I'm still well within the 900 mile break-in, and trying to be all careful-like with her until after that first service. (Not easy staying under 5000 rpm on it!) But the girlfriend keeps on "when do I get to ride on the new bike?" And I just have to shrug and say "sorry - just a few more hundred miles!"
  18. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point! Mine's a 2020. So it would be something like Euro 0.
  19. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    Mines a 2020 and it surges at cold start-up and after the 14000 mile mark started at higher RPM. Starting it's third week at the dealers waiting on ideas from the mother ship. NOT HAPPY!!!
    dbarber996 and Night_Wolf like this.
  20. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    Did they try spark plug caps?