Moto Guzzi V85 TT

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cabanza, Nov 7, 2017.

1. stokerel

stokerel Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I thought about the same but no, we can't reset the service indicator on the dash via the Guzzi App / MIA ... unfortunately. The two are completely disconnected.
    The Guzzi App checks the bike's mileage independently and based on that prompts you to answer whether the service was done or not. It seems to remember the mileage you confirmed last time though and asks you 10,000km later.

On the flipside, the dash service indicator automatically pops up every 10,000km on the clock so at 10,000km then 20,000km, etc. It doesn't count 10,000km from the last time it was reset unfortunately. And also there's no way of resetting it without PADS, as it's the dash computer displaying the service indicator and not the main ECU.
    rac3850 and Grinnin like this.
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a 12V SAE outlet. @XPatriot asked about power for GPS units and that outlet was my solution. I move my GPS and mount between different bikes, so the bike needs an outlet or plug.

Optimate makes a couple different panel-mount SAE outlets. I used the "O-40" cable https://optimate1.com/cbleo-40/ although it's only 18AWG. They also make an "O-20" cable with 16AWG https://optimate1.com/cbleo-20/ but the outlet is too large in diameter to fit cleanly in the flat spot there on the V85. You could make it work with o-rings behind the outlet but still not as clean. And still only 16AWG, so neither outlet is for high-current applications. I just wanted something for the GPS.

That surface was easy to drill with a small bit then a step drill bit.
    Night_Wolf and RedHawk47 like this.
  3. rac3850

rac3850 ............

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I thought it would be a long shot. At least the little wrench is not an overly annoying flashing thing like the cruise control indicator light, over which I put a small round patch of electrical tape :)
    Night_Wolf, worwig and stokerel like this.
  4. XPatriot

XPatriot Charges have been dropped

Oddometer:
    Thanks for everyone's replies re: power, pegs, MIA.
    hawkster and Grinnin like this.
  5. stokerel

stokerel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah thankfully the little wrench icon is small and unobtrusive - worst case as you said it's nothing a small patch of electrical tape can't fix :) For some reason I'm not annoyed at all about the flashing cruise control light when on stand-by and I'm usually pretty OCD about these things haha.

On a related note, does anybody know how MG fixed the gear display indicator on the 2021 Euro 5 model? Is there now a proper gear position sensor which feeds into the dash or was it just a dash or ecu software fix?
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  6. Bloviator

Bloviator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a thread for how to change the threshold for those rev lights upwards? For my taste they start coming on too soon and I would like to change that.
    Thanks for your input!

Chris
  7. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    It's in the menus, right below where you turn off traction control. Same deal as TC but instead of on/off, you select the RPM where the shift lights turn on.
  8. Bloviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks, much appreciate your input!
  9. guzzijason

guzzijason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the topic of power distribution, I finally got around to adding a Hella/DIN Powerlet, just in time for electric vest season:

upload_2021-10-27_11-2-43.png

I've always added these to my bikes, for usage with the vest and for battery tender hookups.

I like this location for it on the V85TT, but in hindsight, I wish I would have been just a bit more careful with placement. I knew space would be a bit tight with the ECU harness running through the same area, but I ended up wrestling with it a bit more than I anticipated. I think if I would have moved the outlet position a little bit lower, it would have made things easier, as the ECU harness is basically laying on top of the connector behind the outlet.

__Jason
  10. Bloviator

Oddometer:
    BTW - at what rev number do you have the shift lights come on?
  11. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    IDK. I can look next time I take a ride. I don't hit the shift lights often.

Perhaps others can chime in.
  12. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Set it at whatever you like. Mine are at 7400.
    dbarber996 and Grinnin like this.
  13. guzzijason

guzzijason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the rev-limiter kicks in at 7750 RPM, so if you want the indicator to be useful, set it anywhere below that. Otherwise, if you want to eliminate the lights altogether, you can set it higher and it will never trigger.

__Jason
    W-Gator, Grinnin and Bloviator like this.
  14. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll suggest you set your shift lights high, 7750 sounds fine, and forget about them. The only time you might use them would be drag racing a new Corvette (you'll lose) or when passing. When passing you're better off watching what's going on around you than looking down at your shift lights. Learn to feel and listen to your engine, it will tell you when it's happy, 4 to 6,000 rpm is a good place to start.
    Night_Wolf, stokerel, Grinnin and 2 others like this.
  15. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    I don't check in on this thread as much as I used to for a few reasons, one of which is it's so massive now it gets posts quickly enough to bury subjects quickly. IMHO it's time to start posting V85 threads on their own outside of this massive collection but what do I know. (And yes I know there's an "index" of sorts but come on. If I need to search an index I may as well search the forum and have continuous threads on one subject)

Anywhos, a few comments on subjects I've seen flash by.

GPS power. I'm with the guys who tied in to the USB power under the seat. Bought the right connecter, put it on the end of my TomTom harness, and plugged it in. I ran the wire under the tank cover without removing anything IIRC... just fed a welding wire from front to beck, tied off the TomTom lead, and pulled it through. On second thought I may have removed one cover up front, a small one by the ignition switch? I don't recall for sure. In any case it works great.

MIA - I bought this entirely so I could control music from the switchgear and not reach up into my helmet (controls are behind my face shield). I kinda sorta got it to work but with a GPS, Sena, and phone to connect on multiple bikes with multiple helmets it just got too complicated. On my last ride I disabled the MIA and went native on the other stuff. I'm not sure it's MIAs fault, I've just got too many different set ups to keep track of it all. I never did get the volume control to work via the switchgear with any set up. I don't remember the exact details, but the main issue is MIA has to be th emain connection so if i set things up to work with that, the Sena won't connect to my ohone when I'm riding a bike that doesn't have MIA. If I have both connections on the phone, MIA doesn't play well with others and I get nothing once the bike is started.

I also had the MIA navigation running once along with the TomTom. MIA got me in the general vicinity. TomTom got me to the parking lot. Anecdotal for sure but in that case, relying on the MIA wouldn't have worked, I'm not sure I would have found the place after MIA said I had arrived.

All that said... I'm pretty sure my V85 will be going up for sale next spring. I just don't ride it like I thought I would. It's a nice bike, I like it, but if Im going to have a bike sitting around that doesn't get used much, it's going to have "Ducati" on the tank. Yeah, I'm shallow that way. I rode Ducatis exclusively for about 25 years and old habits die hard.
    Night_Wolf, stokerel, MFS and 3 others like this.
  16. Bloviator

Oddometer:
    Right now they are still set for the break-in period which is around 5000 rpm. I will change that to 7000 rpm and that should be good then.
    Grinnin likes this.
  17. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    The other time they might be useful is when your son is riding it at a track day and doesn’t know he is is not really bouncing off the limiter but sees the red lights and holds off further twisting of the wrist. I didn’t tell him there were a few more RPMS available. What he does not know won’t hurt my bike and he had fun anyway.
    Night_Wolf and Cal like this.
  18. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    According to almost all Asian philosophers, Ying & Yang controls the universe. So become one with bike & all will be fine.
    twowheeledgator and buellzebub like this.
  19. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    Uhhh. Wow.
  20. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    Does it pull hard to the limiter, or start wheezing as it approaches?