Moto Guzzi V85TT Poll

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by diabolik37, Apr 2, 2018.

?

Based on the available information ATM, would you buy one?

1. Yes

2. Maybe

3. No

4. Red

5. Blue

6. Black

7. Yellow

8. Green

9. Orange

10. White

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    For the past few months, I have been reading all sort of response regarding this new V85...
    Love it, hate it... Not sure...

So here is the Poll...

Based on all the pictures and infos available at the moment, would you buy one?

EDIT:

I added the choice of colour to the poll, just for fun...

[​IMG]

Just a quick straight answer...
    MongoLikeCandy likes this.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and I don't see it as a replacement/substitute for a Stelvio at all. More like a better V7 Scrambler
  3. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Should be a lot better than the Stornello, proper suspension like the Stelvio but much lighter and more power than the V7.
    diabolik37 and bobw like this.
  4. Gobius

Gobius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, pending reasonable seat height and price.
    madruss and Attack Pug like this.
  5. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only real answer is No. Based on what we know now - which is almost nothing - I'd be crazy if I bought one.
    Woody2627, WooPig and Yard Sale like this.
  6. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    Available information lacking: weight and price. Above a given weight, I won't buy it. Above a given price, I won't buy it. Otherwise, it will likely be my next bike.
    panhead_dan likes this.
  7. T-88

T-88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the modern, Italian reincarnation of the original BMW R80 GS. A middle-weight, shaft-drive adventure-tourer that promises relative simplicity with air cooling.

It should appeal to the numerous luddites who want simpler machines they can work on themselves (a well loved trait of Moto Guzzis), a lighter motorcycle instead of the heavy open class machines like the BMW R1200 GS and Yamaha Super Tenere, and the low maintenance shaft-drive offers.

As much of a Guzzi fan as I am (I've owned a Stelvio 1200 NTX, 850 T3 and 850 Lemans III), the V85 won't sell in North America much better than any other Guzzi has in recent years.

Prospective buyers will avoid the V85 in droves for the same reasons they say they don't buy Guzzis now: no dealer nearby, a very sparse national dealership network, too expensive and underpowered compared to the competition.

I hope I am absolutely wrong and the V85 is a 'breakout', successful new model that Moto Guzzi and Piaggio need to popularize a brand that has a delightfully unique transverse v-twin shaft-drive power train and history.

Tim
    vhntr1, Ajacks, EvilClown and 5 others like this.
  8. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    No, but you could still be called Moronic. :D
    dogjaw, Moronic, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  9. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'll buy it, but I still like the fact they build it.

That said, if my riding changes more towards adventure touring instead of canyon carving, it's a very serious candidate...
  10. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:
    Me likie. I want.
    And i've bought other bikes that made no sense at all but fill in the "Gaw'd Damn that's sexy" box.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  11. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I reserve that box for the Indian FTR1200, or the Husky Svartpilen 701....
  12. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    If it's called Gavia, I might buy it.
  13. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Maybe what "we know" is that we like what we see and based on our previous motorcycles experience, we can see something good in those pictures.

You got to admit that there are few quality components in those pictures... Off course you are familiar with Brembo, Öhlins, drive shaft, the Guzzi engine, spoke rims, decent size dual head lights, beautiful red trellis frame...

If you see nothing in those pictures, maybe you are blind, not crazy, in which case that's only your own reality...
  14. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for something to supplement the Norge for off-pavment adventures...the RE Himalayan is #1 in the running right now but I will evaluate the V85 before I make a decision...all depends on the value-for-dollar...
  15. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Gavia is already on the list of proposed names...

http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/it/

Judging by how this poll has gone so far, I think Guzzi has a finally created a winner in the adventure sector for a change... :clap A good competitor for the GS avdenture and Tiger 800... and above all, a much, much easier bike to work on... :wings
  16. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Possibly I am taking a more literal approach to your question than you had intended.

Sure, the bike looks amazing. Yes, I love Ohlins suspension and good Brembo brakes. The proportions and general set of the bike look attractive. They claim 80hp (calculated at the crank, we can guess), which could well be enough. Yep, there is shaft drive. Possibly there is enough room under that tank cover for a decent amount of fuel, and Guzzi has shown itself with the Stelvio as sensitive to the demand for a good touring range.

So if the question is: "If the production bike meets or exceeds the fondest fantasies you have formed from the pictures and info we have, would you buy one?" then sure, it would be very high on my fantasy next new bike list.

But if the question is, "Based on what you can safely conclude from this PR exercise about the V85, would you buy the production model?" all I can say is that I can safely conclude almost nothing about the production model. Will it even offer an Ohlins fork and high-end Brembo brakes? I know there is talk that it will, but will this version reach showrooms? We don't know. Will it really have 80hp? We don't know. Even if it does, will the power spread be good? We don't know. Will the fuel tank hold 19 litres of fuel, or will most of it be the big airbox required to get a peak 80hp out of the engine and the fuel pocket a mere 14 litres? We don't know. Will it handle? We don't know.

What I do know is that I have put some country miles on a V7 and I would not go near this V85 unless it was way better than any V7. No, I've not tried a Stelvio but yes, I do accept owner's reports that the Stelvio is a very nice ride, and I do find the Stelvio very interesting, and I am impressed Guzzi made it.
  17. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    LOL... Thank you for your quick straight answer...

So, what Moto Guzzi did you currently own or have owed in the past?
  18. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I voted no, only because it’ll be pretty short (just my guess). I like taller bikes. Other than that, it’s a beautiful concept.
  19. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there even a 50-50 chance that the production exhaust system will look like this?

[​IMG]
  20. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    None. Had not seen prior ownership as a prerequisite for participation in the poll. Did I miss something?