Moto Guzzi V85TT Poll

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by diabolik37, Apr 2, 2018.

?

Based on the available information ATM, would you buy one?

1. Yes

2. Maybe

3. No

4. Red

5. Blue

6. Black

7. Yellow

8. Green

9. Orange

10. White

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Rides like a dreammmmmmmmm! :lol3
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Damn, it just occurred to me that this was the inspiration behind Harley's new ADV bike. With a wheel that big, you practically roll over all obstacles save the largest logs... :lol3

Gustavo
    danketchpel likes this.
  3. Giddy Goanna

Giddy Goanna Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer:
    Another curmudgeon here! Never has my gast been so flabbered, as to the decision on the toob spec....
    Been following the evolution of this sickle for “donkey’s”, owned a goose prior to my current 12 year Stromaholism.
    Money for V85 ready to blow but no go, will email manufacturer.
    Possibly buy the next model with the mid capacity shafty but really like the 19/17 combo.
    bobw likes this.
  4. Giddy Goanna

Giddy Goanna Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer:
    Email sent!
    Ta.
  5. snakepilot

snakepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. They lost me also. Going for a KTM 790 Adventure. At least 30# lighter and it has tubeless tires! Will have to deal with a chain, but today’s X chains are very easy to deal with.
    mtwillyman, Hoak and MUDHWY like this.
  6. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's the middle weight bike that has my attention -- the V85 though... I just don't get it:

505 lbs wet, that's only 74 lbs less then the Stelvio if you weigh them with the same amount of fuel, and the difference is smaller still if you take the panniers off the Stelvio.

85hp is fine but on a 505 lb bike it's not going to be exhilarating -- you don't get even decent fuel economy for the performance penalty, and with 3 gallons less fuel capacity that's going to suck if you have any ambition of long legs rides.

Tube tires, small(er) alternator, weird cafe bike saddle, goofy foo foo cosmetic affectations that are the obverse of form following function, and no CARC -- all stuff I'm sure I could live with, or fix if I needed too, but this bike costs more then a new NTX that will easily surpass it in every regard.

It looks like the V85 is more of an exercise in cost cutting and marketing then offering any real deign and engineering commitment to ADV capability.

The good news, if Piaggio & C. SpA/Moto Guzzi reps are telling the truth, is that this is not the bike intended to replace or supplant the Stelvio, that bike is still a work in progress...
    JNRobert likes this.
  7. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    How about adding a "yes, with tubeless tires" choice for the poll?
  8. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Sorry but the admin gives very limited option for Polls.... I can only change the title or the number of responses and nothing else...

Been away for a while... Is the new Guzzi really going to come up with tube tyres??? If that's true, they have just lost another customer... Fuck tube tyres....
  9. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    What we all should do is probably learn to vote with our wallet instead... Even Triumph is still insisting on tube tyres... For a 200KG+ bike that is simply crazy...
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yes, I definitely agree. I like the bike, if it came with tubeless tires, I'd have gone down to my local MG dealer and put a deposit on one.

Gustavo
  11. semper-guzzi

semper-guzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really don't see the big deal about tube type tires. I've own motorcycles with both. I've never had a puncture in either so that might be why. But also change (read struggle) my own tires. It can't be too hard to seal up the rim and make them tubeless.
  12. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Tube type tires are not a deal breaker for me. I surely wish they were tubeless but I am willing to seal them myself at the first tire change. I sealed the wheels on my Triumph T120 and did the rear wheel on my BMW F800GS. I do wish it came with tubless wheels but it doesn't stop me from buying a bike I other wise really like -- and I REALLY like the V85 !

13. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    I can only quote the last two experience I had with tube tyres (luckily the first I was just a witness)...

We were going downhill quite fast on a gravel road with two Tiger 800 XCx when Phil (my mate) all at once hear a bang and in a second I'm watching my friend going down because the front tyres has come off the rim...
    Hard to say if the tubeless would have come off the same way, but for sure it wouldn't have blow out so quickly...

This actually did happen to me. In summer fully loaded, on a semi busy road in QLD going uphill, with the mountain wall on one side and the guardrail on my side... Front wheel goes flat and tyre (you guess it) comes off the rim... Because I felt it wondering around, I was going slow by the time it had come off the rim, so no drama there... But now I'm unable to move as the tyre is pushing against the forks, plus I don't want to ruin the rim, and I got a truck coming up fully loaded behind me blasting his horn, just to let me know that he really can't stop going uphill... Luckily the car coming down on the other side realised what was happening and promptly did stop to allow the truck to go on the other side of the road so not to having to stop... He still managed to clip my mirror (there wasn't that much room, so I can't really blame him)... Once the truck passed I still had to try to move the bike away from that bad situation, as more tippers were coming up, and eventually managed to push the bike while also using the first gear to a more safe position... Then right under the sun I had to remove one brake rotor, the wheel (the tyre was already mostly off) fix the tube with the kit and eventually about 45 minutes after that (and with massive chest pain :lol3) managed to put the whole thing back together... I remember thinking "thanks God it wasn't the rear"

One thing is when you are young and off road (unless the front tyre comes off like with Phil), but on the tarmac in traffic.... Like I said... Fuck tube tyres and rims!!!
    Instead of those cheap spoke tube rims, give me alloy and tubeless and I'll be on my way..

It is very easily to seal the tube rims (plenty of threads around), but why bother when they can and should sell you the vehicle with the "proper" tubeless rim designed for fast motorcycle that spend a lot of time on tarmac???
    motrhead likes this.
  14. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's an Italian bike you all expect too much It's part of the character
    diabolik37 likes this.
  15. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    Except they already gave us the Stelvio with tubeless, and it's only fair to expect the same...
    diabolik37 likes this.
  16. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fact that they could but don't just adds to the emotion of the Italian bike. Italian bikes are about passion, and creating emotion, whether that is lust or frustration.
    lamotovita and diabolik37 like this.
  17. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Imagine the joy and emotions of changing a rear tube tyre in the sun at around lunch time, with the weather we are having at the moment...

They would probably find me dead next to a piece of broken rubber with a valve attached to it... :lol3
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  18. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:

I've never heard such piffle! Sure I admire quite a lot of Italian engineering but to say one should put up with something manifestly inferior simply because it's Italian is bonkers!

Whether it has tubes or not is moot to me as I have no interest in the machine beyond the fact I may have to work on them but I surely wouldn't buy one if it was a screaming shitheap simply because it made my pants tight!
    Night_Wolf, motrhead and XT Traveler like this.
  19. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Calm down no one is forcing you to put up with anything. You don't need to buy one.
    fonzie56 likes this.
  20. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nor will I! But I still find your argument puerile.