Moto Guzzi's and Death Valley

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mooney 78865, Dec 27, 2019.

1. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was Mooney who adjusted my suspension for the first time since I bought the bike. It is probably funny to some that I'm not afraid to take an engine apart and put it back together but touching a suspension setting is some scary stuff. I thought for sure if I backed one of those adjustments out all the way the cap would fly off and release nitrogen and hydraulic fluid in a big PSSSHHT! And then my bike would have a decidedly Hispanic influence.
    My bike was dramatically better over washboard the second day out.
    Utrider1, Flying Frisian and Dons1911 like this.
  3. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like to poke fun a the Frisian about his Honda but I would be lying if I said I haven't priced them since I got home. I'm still dedicated to keeping the Stelvio but you can get an AT for less than I bought my used bike for.
    ATs were still very new at the time I bought and closer to $12k out the door. If course that is without hard bags, crash bars and auxillary lights that go POP!

I still think he would have smoked us all on a V7 Stone.

I've also been found searching Craigslist for enclosed trailers. Funny how some seem to be VERY reasonably priced
  4. chief 06

chief 06 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the yardstick whereby, if you can get there in a Prius, it isn't off road.
    I'm happy to say that the road to race track, and certainly through Titus, would beat the crap out of a Prius.

However. That dude in the article had a whiney attitude because they got a flat tire. And I've got plenty of miles in Touaregs so having it go into limp mode is strictly a flip of the coin.

Some of the footage I cut out in that last video shows me coming upon three guys in a Land Rover (not a REAL one, but a real one) and they had a flat tire. I came to a stop and one guy said they were fine. Correct answer! I moved on.

He also talks about spending 2 hours on Scotty's Castle road before the 27 miles of dirt to Racetrack. Bunk. Currently some real nice blacktop as witnessed on both ends of the video from Furnace Creek to Ubehebe. The road to Scotty's Castle is currently closed btw.

As for the condition of the mud and rocks, I did have to walk around a bit to find one that gave me the picture I included above. The rest had been disturbed or had other flaws that caused me to skip them. That said, I didn't walk that far out.

While it may be a dick move to trek around in the mud there are certainly no giant multilingual signs directing one's behavior on the playa. It was dry enough that we left no prints, so all seemed good to us.

The author of the article seems to think the prints could last years, because the place "only gets 2" of rain per year". Looking at the washouts and surface erosion throughout Death Valley it seems obvious they get those 2" in a matter of a few hours.

Seeing the undercuts in Titus Canyon I'm pretty sure there are a couple of days per year that the vehicle of choice would be a whitewater kayak.
  6. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You too? I would bet all of us have looked at the AT since we got home!
    I spoke to Dons1911 last night about the WABDR. We talked a little about the "speed" we would ride. Here is my thoughts. The day at Titus is more the speed I would ride a BDR. (in those conditions) Even though we were "unloaded" I think the speed we rode the canyon is what I would ride if the bike was loaded. Those speeds are manageable with a bike loaded with gear. The Racetrack on the other hand was at a pace I would be uncomfortable with on a loaded bike. The road is navigable at a lower pace and would be easier on the bike over all. (and certainly my nerves)
    All of that said, I really enjoyed the day at the Racetrack. Frisian really looked comfortable at his pace and the AT sure seemed to be in it's element. aftCG, you really found your pace the second day as well.
    And agreed, he would have smoked us with a V7!
    (Bubba says no more talk about a new bike!)
  7. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you and I were the only ones with paniers on. Yours might have been empty-ish but I was packing about 30% of my crap. I knew we were going on a route where the typical light load of credit card and cell phone would be useless.

My minimum gear in that case was enough to keep two people at 98.6 degrees overnight, including a hot meal and water to drink. Not happy and laughing, but alive.

I did get to learn a lesson the hard way when my emergency water stash (a 1 quart nalgene bottle) popped open, getting my emergency kit wet. All the stuff in it was okay and useable but I needed to separate it all so it would dry without getting nasty. At the time I suspected it popped open because of the serious changes in elevation, but it's possible it just took a beating on the washboard.

Either way, the equipment reconsideration will be to put the emergency gear in a 5L dry bag and the water in an MSR Dromedary or other flexible container.

The rest of my gear that makes up my campsite is bulky but light, so my bike handling doesn't change in a noticeable way.

Whatever pace the group chooses for WABDR is fine with me. I'm just worried whether they have a sticker that matches those other states you have done already.
    Dons1911, Mooney 78865 and Dracula like this.
  8. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe y'all should rename the thread title to "The perpetual Guzzis and a Honda BDR that will never end" or some such?? :scratch :clap
    Dons1911 and Mooney 78865 like this.
  9. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL! Not sure of the color, but I DO have enough room for another BDR sticker!
    Dons1911 and Dracula like this.
  10. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good times decree the thread will not end. This way the Guzzi group on the Merged thread won't be to impacted by our blather, keeping it focused on issues and what not....
    Dracula likes this.
  11. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    preach on, brother! :pope
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  12. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And now... off for a little diversion. The 2020 sequences are out for IMAC and I haven't flown but once since the Championship in Havasu City a few months ago.
    IMG_1654.jpg
    Must stay away from motorcycle shop, must stay away from motorcycle shop..... :rofl
    Utrider1, aftCG and Flying Frisian like this.
  13. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    o

Good luck with that!!! LOL
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  14. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right?
    Dons1911 likes this.
  15. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok guys, I've been watching WABDR videos after @Mooney 78865 suggested doing this later in the year. Looks like a fun route and very doable on big ADV bikes. We could stage at my house and leave from here crossing the Bridge of the Gods into Washington. We've had 50+ degree weather since I got home from a job in Kentucky on Wednesday and I have been riding every day. It was pouring rain at times but that doesn't bother me. Can't wait to do some long off road trips this year.
    Utrider1, aftCG and Dons1911 like this.
  16. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Frisian is IN!!! Yes!!!
  17. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    I definitely like to. Hopefully we can work out the dates and make this happen. My big projects should be done by then. My wife and I will go to Europe to visit my family and take a vacation in Southern Europe in September but we should be able to make this work.
    Dons1911 likes this.
  18. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We’ll make it happen! Just think you guys. No trailers needed!!
    aftCG and Flying Frisian like this.
  19. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1537.jpg
    Don’t buy a ladder, don’t buy a ladder...
  20. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    Right, no ladders and no trailer ramps!!!!!!
    Utrider1, Mooney 78865 and Dons1911 like this.