Moto Guzzi's and the WABDR, or how we rode the desert Southwest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mooney 78865, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was hoping that the fire's would be contained before we get there. I guess we'll see. I've been re routed on the AZBDR as well as the IDBDR for fires. That said, I have never seen a fire crew or forest service crew on any trip. Hell, you three will comprise the most people I've seen at one time on ANY BDR!
    I did run into a National Park Ranger gal on a mountain bike when I was doing the UTBDR. 20 miles from anywhere, by herself, wearing a Park Service bicycle kit. She made that kit look GOOD!
    I think I like doing the Back Country rides more than anything is the self reliance, and the need to be flexible in the ride. Weather it's taking an alternate route due to terrain, fires or what not. Oddly enough, I have seen very little in the way of wildlife, almost none. And fortunately, I have seen very few people. I fear people WAY more than wildlife.
    I'm curious if my mind set will remain the same. In the past, being solo, I've been conservative with speeds and how I approached various sections. I didn't want to break the bike, or me for that matter, still don't actually. But, riding with a group and having "helpers" will be a nice change. And Bubba is a lot more relaxed knowing I'll be with company.
  2. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good deal on the 610. I wish I had bought the 610 over the 680. I've never used the camera, not once. But it was right in front of me, and really marked down at the local "we be outfitters and shit" store...
    aftCG likes this.
  3. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Dons1911, is your bike fixed? I've invited my riding buddy, Adam to come over next Sunday night before the trip. Adam also has a Stelvio and hasn't been able to ride much lately because he just became a father and has other priorities at the moment. He told me that his 2015 Stelvio has similar symptoms like the problems you experienced.
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  4. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not entirely. After the dealer hosed it up even worse, I've got a bunch of hours into trying to get it squared away. My son and I changed the fork fluid yesterday, and I'm fitting my soft panniers now.
    Mooney 78865 and Flying Frisian like this.
  5. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    Which bags did you end up getting?
  6. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Broke down (not literally) and did the Mosko Moto's. Got a couple other bags from them and really like them, so decided to stick with them.
    Mooney 78865 and Flying Frisian like this.
  7. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, my bike runs way better after I change the fork oil.
    :fpalm
    Nice! Where did you find inventory? When you and I were exchanging messages about soft bags Mosko didn't have any.

I made the ransom exchange yesterday for the Montana 610T (camo version, comes with a can of chew). Wow is it easy to load up tracks! Forget all that other crap with the InReach. It will be strictly coms and emergency use from now on. I watched one video and fired up Basecamp, converted all the tracks into routes with a right click. So easy an engineer can do it.

It is loading the built in topographic maps from the 610 into Basecamp right now and I've queued the routes to upload to the 610. No time for an ultra cool $400 GPS holder, so this will just be shoved under the clear top of my tank bag.

I tried the Aeropress out this morning. I don't want that kind of crisis on the trail. I can't say it makes a better cup of coffee than a Melita cone does, but it's good.
  8. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mosko only sells direct I believe. I went on their site to email them for an ETA and the 'out of stock' flags you and I saw were gone. Ordered them Wednesday morning, on my porch noon Thursday.
    Mooney 78865 and aftCG like this.
  9. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice score. Let's see some pics.
    Dons1911 likes this.
  10. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Started mounting them last night. It'll require the slightest modification to the stock rack. going to my shop in a bit and fabricate a spacer so I can leave the stock stuff stock. Dog gone yard work is in the way of working on my bike!!!
  11. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:

First off, shut up punk!!!!

Secondly, am I traveling with a bunch of yuppies or what?

LOL
  12. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1788 (1).JPG Let's go!
  13. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost ready...
    KIMG3024.JPG
    New tires, new panniers, proofing out all my camping gear tomorrow...
  14. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    Wow, a bunch of fine Italian machines with fancy bags. Now all we need is a Starbucks and perhaps a support vehicle? Oh wait?
    aftCG likes this.
  15. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    Are those the Dunlop Mission tires? Have you tried them yet? They get good reviews, and @Dracula seems to like them.
    Dracula likes this.
  16. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes they are. Never had them before, just finished my first 50 miles on them. Hopefully gonna ride the Hoodoo Mtn tomorrow with my son. We'll see how they do there. Stay tuned ...
    Dracula and Flying Frisian like this.
  17. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am on my second set. First lasted nearly 10,000 (front could have gone half that more). Good road tire, great longevity, no handling compromises like Heidenau. Excellent on forest roads too, better than Metzeler Tourance. I haven't had them in anything spooky but decent deep gravel they do fine. And are actually confidence inspiring. I'd perhaps lower the psi if I knew would run some soft/challenging stuff; usually don't bother on roads like this. My lovely 'Honda' as it seems to be incorrectly identified, hahahaa.. it ain't ever gonna run like a Hondaaaaaa!
    [​IMG]
    Utrider1, aftCG and Flying Frisian like this.
  18. Dracula

Oddometer:
    They are inmates here in vendors. I read some of the awesome african ride reports.
    Flying Frisian likes this.
  19. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Ya need to come to KY, TN, VA and Western NC, to see people! Everyone stops and talks with you, heck I even got offered a free tomato today! The same would be true for Newfoundland, except you'll get a fish instead, there.
  20. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Wait until you try all that route out in the boonies.. :augie Oh and I thought we already agreed on portable coffee makers running on 12 VDC? Since I'll be cheering y'all armchair style, I will have extra fun when your batteries die in the middle of bear country, but you get to savor your last, real espresso!
    [​IMG]
    aftCG and Mooney 78865 like this.