Moto Guzzi's and the WABDR, or how we rode the desert Southwest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mooney 78865, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well. F***.
  3. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to say it, but I’m not feeling it this year.
    Utah? New Mexico?
  4. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the one or two shut-ins out there who are following this thread and aren't actually part of the ride, well - you need to get out more or you'll be come the next unibomber.

The four of us confirmed riders have been texting back and forth this afternoon about "plan B".

Washington? Is ablaze. And we're super hopeful that things are more under control and that we can continue as planned to gather the night of the 13th at the Frisian's house just south of the utopia called Portland, and ride together to the Bridge of the Gods where we can start North.

But we know that right now there are locked gates across some of our route, charred ruins along our path, that recreational traffic in the national forests is verboten and we don't know what the next 5 days will bring us. Oh, but the plan isn't dead. We're going to ride.

But.
    It's always good to have a backup. This country is vast and there are some beautiful places to ride, especially in the left half. On the surface, the point of this was to ride WABDR but in reality a group of strangers that pulled off a great ride in Death Valley in spite of the presence of a Honda wanted to ride together again somewhere cool and unexplored (by us).

We discussed IDBDR which has a lot going for it. It's Idaho for starters. But the route is 1200 miles and there is a need to set aside 10 days to complete the ride. We'd have to split the ride and the problem (or solution if you understand what Idaho is about) is that there aren't a whole lot of places you can change your mind and say "You know what? I just remembered I left the stove on".

The Oregon BDR doesn't technically exist but don't let that fool you. There's an unofficial OBDR which not only has multiple paths N-S but also W-E. But Oregon is thick with smoke and has a few fires of its own.

The winner? Utah. 1075 miles of slab from my front door to Moab, and then we can start the ride. We've got Mooney instead of GPS. A very loose plan where there's a good chance that Don, myself and the Frisian will meet up in southern Idaho or in eastern Oregon for some of the as yet undetermined route.

Pretty sure my bike will need tires before coming home.
  5. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    Well said!
  6. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow guys! I have not been following the thread lately. Don has been keeping me up to speed with some updates though.

Put my mother in law on hospice yesterday, been wrestling with ALL of that for the last couple of weeks. As always, casa Utrider is open as needed to all weary travelers. I can maybe peel away for a day to be in "spirit" with my DV brothers, but need to keep it pretty close to home. I have a trip planned to Lake Powell next Thursday (the 17th) not sure how that is going to work out.

I will keep a closer eye on this, and if I can lend a hand let me know.
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  7. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry you're going through that Roy. We'd all love to meet up with you if you can get away.
    Utrider1 likes this.
  8. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean there's anything left unburned in Portland? I would think it was marked safe from combustibles.
    Flying Frisian likes this.
  9. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roy, really sorry to hear what you’re going through. You will be with us in spirit if not in presents hope things get better.
    Utrider1 likes this.
  10. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    Roy, (@Utrider1) I wish you and your family all the best.
    Utrider1 likes this.
  11. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    Smoke has gotten really thick the past few hours. Looks like our town is now under an evacuation "be ready" warning. Luckily the strong winds have died down.

upload_2020-9-10_12-55-17.png
  12. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    The image I just saw shows oregon in way worse shape than Washington.

Oh, and there have been a couple of arrests of people driving around setting brush fires on purpose here
  13. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    I know, I'm thinking about evacuating to Washington. While there I might as well do the BDR.
  14. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our plan has taken shape. WABDR, my one chance to just ride a ways and start an epic backroad trip has vaporized. Before we could finalize our decision to ride Utah, the Frisian was faced with potentially having to evacuate his home in Oregon. Thankfully that risk has subsided for the time being, but the smoke is still thick.
    The plan right now is for the Frisian, Dons1911 and myself to converge on Twin Falls, Idaho on Saturday evening, and ride on to Moab (or thereabouts) from there on Sunday. Mooney is going to sleep under an overpass somewhere near St George, and assuming he survives that ordeal will likewise arrive near Moab Sunday.
    It's nine hours and fifty minutes on straight slab (I-90 to I-82 to I-84 and on) for me, and that is not accounting for reduced visibility from the smoke.

We've already had more drama on this trip than we did in Death Valley and we haven't even left our homes yet.
  15. Utrider1

Oddometer:
    What time will you be leaving Twin on Sunday? I am approx. 3 hrs (2.5 in Stelvio time) south of there. I will pick you guys up and ride along for awhile. You might need someone to recommend a good place to eat or sumpin......:D
  16. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya da man Roy! I'll leave our departure time to Aft and Frisian. I'm easy, just need a cup of my instant coffee and I'm good!
    Mooney 78865 and Utrider1 like this.
  17. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to bitch about that comment, but I did get the stitches out before leaving for DV. I just finished mowing the lawns and don't plan on going near any ladders before I leave in the morning, so this should be EPIC! I even loaded the UTBDR tracks. Just in case.....:clap
    Utrider1, aftCG and Dons1911 like this.
  18. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are going to have to have a Very long talk.....
    aftCG likes this.
  19. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep me posted on your location. If things go well and I find an underpass to sleep under closer to Moab tomorrow night, I'll try and hightail it towards you guys. It would be great to see you Roy!
    Utrider1 and aftCG like this.
  20. Utrider1

Oddometer:
    Dan, are you cutting across on 12 through Utah or going up to I-70? I know you know your way around here, just trying to figure out how far south I need to go. I was planning on riding to Soldier Summit (Hwy 6 between Spanish Fork and Price). Looking forward to seeing you guys!