Moto Guzzi's and the WABDR, or how we rode the desert southwest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Mooney 78865, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have full blown editing software but I don't have the patience and time to create a proper movie. Plus I don't use it enough to become proficient.
  2. Dracula

Dracula sagabona kunjani wena Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, it's much more natural for some who do it frequently. This also goes to show a bit about us, whether being introspective or more of an extrovert, doesn't it? Thank you very much for sharing!
    Flying Frisian likes this.
  3. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow guys, great trip and adventure! I should have volunteered a scenic detour to avoid the I-15 bullshit on your way home. Just north of Price on Hwy 6 after you pass through Helper turn right on 191. It takes you to Duchesne, then you can catch Hwy 35 (Utah's Wolf Creek Pass) and drop into Kamas and the Park City area. Head east on I-80 to I-84 at Echo Junction then Bob's your Uncle you are on your way to the Pacific Northwest with only the detours you create.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post the fantastic pictures of my beautiful state. I am glad you enjoyed your time here and look forward to the next opportunity we have to ride together!

I will be hosting my "Guzzi Get Together" next September 9th-12th in Midway (near Heber City/Park City) where I will be glad to show you a different part of Utah. All are welcome to attend.
  4. Mak'inBacon

Mak'inBacon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report!
  5. SD113

SD113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great ride report and pictures/video. I didn't even know the Moto Guzzi Stelvio existed before reading this! I've been reading about them all day on and off. My head is spinning, they are so cool! I need a bigger garage.
  6. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @SD113 Don't let the reviews fool you. When compared to other bikes they always seem "heavy". They are actually lighter or very close to most other bikes of the same temperament. What the reviewer doesn't take into consideration is that the Stelvio compared to say, the BMW GS, is that the weights for each bike are how the bike leaves the factory, stock. The Stelvio NTX, stock, comes with engine guards, running lights, skid plate, panniers and racks. Nobody else does that, nobody. And it isn't cheap, crapy gear...
    I've done 5 of the Back Country Discovery routes with mine, and I don't know how many other off road adventures. It is a very capable machine!
    And when you want to "pose" at the local coffee shop to show off the "been there, done that" stickers, people will ask you," Who makes that"? Moto Guzzi. "I know, but who makes it", really Moto Guzzi. "Ok, I heard you, but who makes it"? Honda, "That's what I thought"...
    We are a passionate group. There is a thread, Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged threadfest) that we lurk on, people from all over the world. I believe it's close to 2,500 pages. Shoot! Just to do this ride, every one of us were from different states. See what I mean?, passion!
    As for the garage? A couple gallons of paint, and a Stelvio is really all you need....

IMG_1650 (2).JPG
    xcountry41, black 8, vhntr1 and 7 others like this.
  7. SD113

SD113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my gosh, I want. I've been looking to cycle trader. They seem like a great value and everyone seems to say they are reliable. I love the idea of no more chain maintenance. I think I may sell my Strom and look for one of these. I like the idea of having two bikes, one light weight one and one like this for munching miles and doing some two up.

On the review thing; I've gotten pretty good at sorting through the motorcycle press. It looks like a cool bike, lots of character, high quality, easy to maintain (valve adjustments on my strom are very expensive and outside my ability), and a good value. I wonder why they stopped producing it.
    Utrider1 and Mooney 78865 like this.
  8. SD113

SD113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also Mooney 78865, I am completely jealous of your BDR completions. I can't wait to get ONE done! Idaho keeps calling me, but it would be cool to see the WY, MT routes when they are done.
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  9. Dracula

Oddometer:
    @Mooney 78865 - you should post the tank picture - for full disclosure - just sayin' :augie
    Mooney 78865 likes this.
  10. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report and great to see the Stelvios getting ridden off road. I've been lusting for a Stelvio for a few years now and just haven't pulled the trigger. I'm riding a 2010, KTM 990 SMT now, which I love, but I still want a Stelvio. This report might just push me over the edge.
    Utrider1 and Mooney 78865 like this.
  11. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @SD113 If your thinking of doing a BDR, then the IDBDR is a pretty good one to start with. Not tough, but LONG!!!! You will quickly learn how to get organized and on the road if you ever want to get it done.
    I started with the UTBDR (still my favorite), AZBDR, IDBDR, COBDR, and last the NVBDR. If you read the beginning of this post, the plan was to do the WABDR, but fires and smoke in the Northwest made it a miserable proposition. To date, the only BDR I have done with someone is the IDBDR, the rest were solo.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/moto-guzzi-stelvio-merged-threadfest.113158/page-866 This link is the first BDR, Arizona. I wasn't much of a ride reporter at that point, nor did I post it in a "ride report thread. My Bad!
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/idbdr-on-a-2016-moto-guzzi-stelvio-ntx.1177578/#post-30483155 The IDBDR
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/riding-the-cobdr-on-the-anvil.1254375/ and the COBDR. The single most "anxious" day I've had riding the Stelvio, or any BDR, was doing the 4 passes on day 3 or 4. Riding by yourself, going up and over 4 passes at nearly 13,000 feet with a loaded ADV bike is, well, entertaining? LOL IMG_0545.JPG
    Dracula, Utrider1, jeepmedic and 2 others like this.
  12. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My understanding is the Euro 4 emissions standards....
    SD113 likes this.
  13. shuckinator

shuckinator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great trip report! I was going to post earlier but was interrupted by Hurricane Sally as I am located in Pensacola FL. Finished my yard clean-up yesterday and will start pressure washing the leaf pulp off the house tomorrow. Excellent photos and video to augment pictures from my recently completed trip. I was in Moab just before you guys and left for home when the artic blast brought the smoke and then cold temps into SE Utah. I got home just in time to get the camping gear put away and prepare for the storm.

My pre-covid plan was a Stelvio trip out west with a visit in the Salt Lake City area to meet up with Roy (Utrider) and other Guzzi enthusiasts that I had visited with the previous year in Ouray. Well things went to sh*t with Covid and I rethought my travel plans. I have a friend who was selling a DR650 for a reasonable price so I bought the bike and planned a camping trip out west. I don't have the skill set for riding the Stelvio on rocky off road terrain, and the DR allowed me to explore roads that I otherwise could not have ridden. I still found plenty of challenging terrain in CO and UT including Engineer Pass. I was traveling solo and dropped the DR on some sections that would have been impossible for me to get the Stelvio upright.

I thought Colorado would be the highlight of the trip but the riding around Moab stole the show. I set up camp at Masons Draw off La Sal Mountain Loop Road and took day rides including portions of day 2 of the UT BDR and Shafer & Potash Road. I planned on riding Moki Dugway and Valley of the Gods but the smoke and haze ruined that plan. I hope to return next September and join in the Guzzi weekend hosted by Roy. Here's a photo from La Sal Loop Road at the campground entrance.

IMG_20200903_193812755_HDR.jpg
    Dracula, Utrider1, River Rat and 6 others like this.
  14. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I met Roy when I did the COBDR. Stopped in at the MG deal in Ouray and spent the night. Had a great dinner and chat with everyone! Pretty sure they thought I had a screw or two loose when they found out where I was headed the following morning.
    Roy is without a doubt, a top shelf guy. I've been lucky enough to ride with him a couple times now. Even drug his butt out to DV!
    Dracula, Utrider1 and aftCG like this.
  15. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Officially, Euro 4 did kill the CARC bikes. As Dave from MI pointed out (and Pete has confirmed), the cylinder heads were capable of having a second spark plug (like the 1400s) and could have made it further.
    With 7000 units of production the Stelvio could hardly be called a raging success in terms of sales though. They obviously didn't pay off enough journalists to provide stellar reviews, leaving those of us who bought in to read between the lines (the testers all liked the bike).

I was skeptical they would ever produce the V85 given how little MG seemed to care about market share. If they had put Ewan on one instead of letting him get on an electric Harley they probably couldn't have produced them fast enough.
    Dracula and Utrider1 like this.
  16. SD113

SD113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7000...that makes me want one more.
    Dracula, Utrider1 and Mooney 78865 like this.
  17. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Drop by the Stelvio threadfest before buying and ask questions, there are things you need to know before buying (anything before 2013 for sure).
    SD113 and Mooney 78865 like this.
  18. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Just buy it, there will be a lot of things you'll need to know about it but all in due time. You may even lose money and sleep and have days you will be mad, but it's all worth it. Trust me. :D
    SD113 likes this.
  19. Dracula

Oddometer:
    The problem with bureaucrats is they don't know when to stop. But then again, look at the world around us. Overpopulation, cookie cutter homes, and lives, for everyone, and on and on... What can be said for motocycle trends today? My intrigue is with what was original in the minds and souls of Guzzi heads, and what has been left for history. Can't be canned or bottled and sold like others.. And it appears it may be over unless they re define themselves. Ewan makes enough money by his choices, not by following his heart. Though am not sure what's up with his women choices, can't really judge any of that from where I sit.
  20. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report(s)! Awesome country. Also a great testimony to the fun, durability and adaptability of the Stelvio.

I'm one week into ownership of my new (to me) 2016 Stelvio and loving it. This sure stokes the fire for a long tour, maybe next year. Would LOVE to ride that country. When the pandemic subsides and the border opens, I'm heading west!
    Utrider1, SD113 and Mooney 78865 like this.