Moto Guzzi's and the WABDR, or how we rode the desert southwest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Mooney 78865, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a great choice. Utah is by far my favorite place to ride.
    Utrider1, choppahead and Bonafide Bob like this.
  2. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Flying Frisian likes this.
  3. michaellmcc

michaellmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good adventure, good story, glad you all made it OK and safely. We're often loathe to make the decision to turn around (famous last words - "it'll probably get better just around the next corner..."). Good on ya for making the right (or only) decision.

I just returned from Wyoming via Moab, where my friend and I took the Shafer Trail down, followed by Potash Road back to Moab. The rim road was rougher than I remembered. We didn't have the apetite for the White Rim Trail this time, but four of us did the WRT in July about three years ago. Hot? Hell yes. My three compadres stopped for the night at the White Rim campground, I elected to finish the ride via Potash Road and sleep in my motel room in Moab. There may have been a little dallying along the way due to their unhurried plan; it took me 9-10 hours total on my R12GS, riding counter-clockwise. We're all 65-plus, old guys who pretty much know what we're able to do. One "funny" outcome was that my right foot was blistered by a combination of black boot, hot position near the exhaust, and all afternoon's hot sun. Otherwise, no illnesses and no injuries.

I see plenty of riders out there (not only WRT, but in the Arctic as well) making poor tire choices, so agree 100% with one of your statements - tires are consumable. They're your one connection to Mother Earth, but far too many riders try to go cheap. My friends and I all ride R1200GS's and all use only Michelin Anakee Wild tires. They've taken us on the WRT, Baja, Dempster, Dalton, BDR's, etc. We all ride to/from home (Texas), meaning no trucks or trailers, and have depended successfully on the tires to get us there and back.

Learn your lessons, keep the shiny side up.

Regards,
    Mike
    Dons1911, Flying Frisian and aftCG like this.
  4. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Mike! I think all of us had a take away from the trip. I agree 100%, we, especially as a group, tend to default to the “herd “mentality. Sometimes, especially us old people, it can be a bit of a bothersome thing!
  5. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great Adventure, and I liked the four storyteller format.
    I have ridden the WRT twice, CW both times. The first time was with a bicycle tour company. About a dozen riders and a support vehicle, four days.
    The second time I was in Moab in mid-June planning to do shorter rides but they had a cold spell, I think the high was 60*F. I think I rode out Potash Road and then WRT. This was before permits were required. As I was riding I realize that "nobody" was on the WRT. It is usually HOT by this time of year so people don't go out there. So I reminded myself to take it easy. I did see four groups that day. And I had no "events".
    This trip was on my KLR. I later had a Stelvio which was a wonderful touring bike but too much for me in the dirt and around town. Traded for a V7II - love it, and a V85TT is in the cards.

Dan