Moto Guzzi's lets see them

Discussion in 'Photos' started by SNAPGADGET, Feb 13, 2017.

1. jonnyutah

jonnyutah less talk , more ride

Oddometer:
    20191012_171534.jpg
    98v11ev,
  2. jonnyutah

jonnyutah less talk , more ride

Oddometer:
    Out of all my bikes, the gootsi speaks to my soul and fixes my head.
  3. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I just ripped off 200+ miles in SE Oklahoma in beautiful fall weather and I'm quite sure I achieved Nirvana...:D
    Lornce, Allucaneat, jonnyutah and 4 others like this.
  4. gusable

gusable Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guy rode his new v85 from AZ to Texas for the grit rally. Like 9000 miles on it and it’s his favorite bike ever!

Attached Files:

Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  5. Green1

Green1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. stevie99

Oddometer:
  8. stevie99

Oddometer:
  9. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ

Oddometer:
    20191103_102245.jpg
    airhead_irl, Lornce, mslim and 5 others like this.
  10. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    You don't see an Argus every day. :beer

Unless you live near Greenwood, NS.
    Iron Cross Junction and Green1 like this.
  13. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    My EV has been here a bit before, but I took it out today for a test ride.

As, sadly, my Norge is still hors de combat on the lift, the EV has to take up the slack for any two-up riding. Kathi and I are going to take a day ride tomorrow, so I wanted to ensure -- not that a brief test ride ensures anything of the sort :augie-- that it the odds of a long roadside stay awaiting a tow would be low.

As with many of us, my favorite motorcycle is the one I am riding, and the EV sure is today. What a sweet machine. Not the best of anything, but so pleasant in everything on the fine back roads around here.

Here are two pix on return a bit ago. No, only needed one, but I like "both sides." :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill
  14. Green1

Green1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was Summerside
    Lornce likes this.
  15. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    What year is your California, Bill?
  16. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    First model year, 1998, tho think, as usual, they were delivered in '97.

Not sure that the coveted :D "hotdog & mustard" livery was available in any other vintage. Maybe '99, too. It's a cult. :clap

I got mine as a dusty leftover in August 2000. 102K+ as of this morning. Will add another couple of hundred later today in a run up to vic. Altoona, Pennsylvania, and back. Kathi, my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess, has been looking forward to this so we can deliver a surprise birthday gift to a friend. It's a bit showery, but I am wise enough never to squelch my bride's enthusiasm for a ride. :rogue

Bill
    Lornce and MUDHWY like this.
  17. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth
    I have to ask the "elephant in the room" question.

I love Guzzis, They're beautiful, but, why aren't they more popular, why do so many motorcycle riders know absolutely nothing about them. I don't get it! In the interest of full disclusure, having had over 150 motorcycles, I've never owned a Moto Guzzi. It's only one of the major manufacturers I havent owned. I've had almost everything from Aprillia to Zundapp.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  18. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Your question -- especially well-posed as it is -- deserves a thread of its own.

It also deserves more time than I have just now just for my perspective, much less for the truly knowledgeable. Oh, and whiskey; we'll need whiskey ... and, of course, grappa. :freaky

Seriously, here are my after-one-cup-of-coffee thoughts. :*sip*

Moto Guzzi -- "Going out of Business Since 1921!" -- started off with a bang and did well in civilian and military sales for decades. Government support -- think Mussolini & WWII -- and racing successes before and after the war made the company successful (enough) into the 1960's.

But Moto Guzzi had its heyday, I think, especially in the U.S., in the late '60's early '70's with the intro of the iconic "sideways" V-twin lump that (sort of) still powers its line. The V7 Sport of the late '60's garnered lots of admirers throughout the world. Thereafter, LAPD as well as other LEO agencies around the country used versions powered by the new engines.

That all faded pretty fast, tho a loyal band of brothers (and a few sisters) soldiered on in denial, leading to the equally iconic (and not entirely inaccurate :D) image of the typical Guzzista as a grizzled, suspenders-snapping, MacGyver sort. Other buyers came along, charmed as are you and I by all sorts of indefinable but undeniable "character" of the sort that poets can describe, but lesser word merchants such as myself only -- à la Potter Stewart -- "know it when we see (and feel) it." :clap Our wives, husbands, SO's, and others who love Guzzisti are a pitiable lot. :D

In the Moto-Mother Country, Guzzi was mis- and maltreated by several buyers who did the marque no favors and it floundered, nearly foundering, any number of times, as it sought, unsuccessfully, success. Heck, by the turn of the century, even the Carabinieri were -- aside from the ceremonial Reggimento corazzieri -- riding BMW's. Shameful. :fpalm

Why Moto Guzzi faded so badly? In Italy and Europe generally; dunno. Loss of government bucks obviously hurt and was almost a fatal wound. Other Italian brands did badly, too. Well, except Ducati. Those Baloney marketeers in a long-commie town make Harley-Davidson and John Deere suits look like amateurs. :-)

In the US, the poor dealer network understandably scares off most who might otherwise be drawn to the brand. One has to be committed -- and, in another context, should be! -- to buy a Moto Guzzi. I have long thought the "bulletproof" reputation was a stretch. Well, unless using .22 LR ammo. :augie

But for decades, unless one lived near (by normal, not Guzzi, standards) to a dealer, a Guzzista had better be ready to do most service on one's own ... with, I should quickly add, especially after the internet and web forums, the enthusiastic help of others similarly afflicted.

Now, I should add (along with making breakfast, as my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess is giving me The Look for this TLDR term paper! :icy) that much of this some of this, especially WRT to the machines themselves, is changing for the good. When I bought my EV -- now 20 years and 100K+ miles later -- I learned to carry along enough tools to do depot-level maintenance. With each of my succeeding five new Guzzis -- yes, it's a sickness; i have a terminal case :sick -- I have needed to take along fewer and fewer tools on any longer rides. My two most recent Guzzis, both V7's, have been nearly flawless.

But the dealer network remains problematic. That alone warrants way more words than the above, and neither you (nor Kathi) would tolerate that. :hair

I'll leave to others to comment on the correctness of my trickle-of-consciousness monologue, above, and to give their views of the dealer dilemma.

Must go.

Best wishes.

1921! :clap

Bill
  19. tigersteve

tigersteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On display in a hotel in The Dolomites Italy

028_25A.JPG
    chethro and Iron Cross Junction like this.
  20. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno. Guess we scared everyone else away :clap

above_IMG_3125.jpg
    chethro and Iron Cross Junction like this.