moto.phil - a random journey (currently: Peru)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by moto.phil, Feb 2, 2017.

1. moto.phil

moto.phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rundown 5, June 2016: Tail of the Dragon and the Plains

Coming through NC riding the Tail of the Dragon is a must. Fun road but I have seen better, especially in Mexico.
    [​IMG]

The Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge is a great place to meet riders, I spent more time there than planned. Great facilities and cheap camping. While all the Harley riders sleep in their rooms all the ADV Riders pitch their tents :)
    [​IMG]

Good I found that little buddy before I rolled up my tent!
    [​IMG]

Some photo fun on the NC highway
    [​IMG]

Seeking the cool from the insane summer heat on Nantahala River
    [​IMG]

Thanks again @clyde1952 for welding my DR, it's all holding up really well!
    [​IMG]

Dirt road fun on the TAT
    [​IMG]

Clonetrooper invasion at the Heidelberger Museum :)
    [​IMG]

Seeking shelter from an insane rainstorm on Magazine Mountain... When I came down from the mountain there was no sign of rain at all, alle the clouds just hovered over the mountain to keep me there for a while.
    [​IMG]

Another buddy looking for shelter...
    [​IMG]

What a big ass locomotive!!! And a visit in the USA would't be complete without having a ride in a muscle car :)
    [​IMG]

Thanks @camgregus for a fun evening with you and your dawgs :)
    [​IMG]

Time to check out what that Route 66 is all about...
    [​IMG]

Nobody told me to beware of the indians ;)
    [​IMG]

Finally some dirt roads again...
    [​IMG]

Maybe one day my DR will learn to fly...
    [​IMG]

Dirt road leading into the vast of the plains... I am looking forwart to hit New Mexico soon!
    [​IMG]
    osmola, martn130289, goodcat and 2 others like this.
  2. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Rundown 6, June 2016: New Mexico

Coming into New Mexico I spotted my first "mesa", Mt. Tucumcari... I saw there was some antennas on top so my immediate thought was "there must be a way up there".
    [​IMG]

After finding the entrance to the "mountain road" I found a variety of road conditions... starting with gravel...
    [​IMG]

It soon became some sort of muddy sand, steeep inclines and some crazy sandy switchbacks... first real off road challenge for me and my DR in the USA.
    [​IMG]

Then final incline to the top was hidden behind a corner and I didn't take a walk to see how it looks like, so I just hit the road with my fully loaded DR. coming around the corner the road suddenly got very steep and full of big loose rocks. I keep the throttle open to work my way up, making a few bad choices in the line I ride I almost go down a few times... Probably good no one could hear me swearing ;) But somehow I made it to the top without going down and having to pick up my loaded DR on steep uneven grounds. The hydration system however was quickly empty since it was kind of stressfull to make that last ascend in the burning hot sun. I told myself to check out the road on foot next time or not try to do this alone again :) But well, it was worth it, had a nice break up there!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going down wasn't much easier but I'm glad to have had a good enduro teacher back home in Europe, Pascal from ERTW taught me a lot about enduro riding, and this came in handy on this little excursion.

I headed to Santa Fe to stay overnight before visiting the Bandelier National Monument and heading up into Colorado the next day.

The Santa Fe Police was so friendly to let have a try on their insanely heavily loaded Kawasaki bikes...
    [​IMG]

Checking out the caves in Bandelier Monument...
    [​IMG]
  3. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Tail of the Dragon road is an overhyped tourist attraction. You're right, Mexico has far better. One of the mountain hwys in the south has over 1100 tight turns for hours on end. It's only about 100km's in lenght but takes about 3 to 4 hours to complete. And there are many more in Mexico.
    Damn I miss MX...There...I said it haha

BTW...are you gonna finish what you started here? :imaposer
    moto.phil likes this.
  4. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Right now I'm just finish more sleeping as you know

Looks like you will soon be in Mexico again!
    goodcat likes this.
  5. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Rundown 7, July 2016: Up to Fort Collins

An old friend of mine from Munich is now living in Fort Collins so it was certainly on my plan to go and visit him. Even more so since the european football (soccer) cup is on and the german team was to play a game the next day. I just wanted to make it to Fort Collins that day so we can enjoy the game together.

I came down from Bandelier National Park around 1pm and it just started to rain, never mind I put on my raingear and it won't be a problem. I chose to ride the 285 instead of the highway, should be a lot more enjoyable riding through the rockies for the first time. I was amazed by the huge flat up there, I could only see the mountains at the horizon. Being somewhere between 8000ft and 10000ft the temperature was going down to quite chilly 12°C. Paired with rain for most of the time it ended up being a rather chilly and demanding ride on the body and mind.

It was about 7pm when I made it to Buena Vista, I headed to the first subway to warm up and grab something to eat and to decide wheter to look for a place to stay or head on towards Denver and then Fort Collins. I decided to keep going since I still wanted to be there for the next days game.

The upcoming ride was no fun and certainly quite dangerous too (ya I know riding at night is not the best thing...). It was dark, raining nonstop, and I had all the weekend traffic from the city coming against me making the raindrops on my visor literally all I could see. The best I could try is to go slowly and focus on the line on the side of the road while my gps would assist in telling me when the road is turning. Felt like a pilot doing some blind instrumental flight. Sometimes I was lucky to have a car in front of me which makes it easier to follow the road, but they were just to fast...

Somehow I made it out of the mountains, but being around the thousands of highway junctions of Denver didn't make the riding any more comfortable. It was still raining and I could hardly see any of the lines on the highway. Of course poeople around Denver drive like mad as well. But with a lot of focus, the help of my gps and a bit of luck I actually managed to find the right highway to head up to Fort Collins. By now I felt like the whole thing was just a dream... you know, you are not tired to fall asleep but your mind is starting to disconnect from your surroundings.

About half an hour before Fort Collins I was told to stop at a rest area to get some cinemon rolls, which I did before I finally headed to my friends place. He was already welcoming me outside his appartment, it was now 2am. With just over 12 hours on the road this was my longest and most straining (for myself) ride I have done so far.

Don't ride by night and rain... unless there's an important game! :p

Sorry, not much pictures from that ride, was too focused to get through the rain and cold :D

It wasn't all that colorful on that particular day
    [​IMG]
    fasttortoise, martn130289 and KLRalph like this.
  6. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Rundown 8, July 2016: Fort Collins and Keystone MTB Downhill Park

Just a few photos...

Relaxing with my buddy on Fort Collins Old Town Square after the game...
    [​IMG]

Time for some nightlife and booze...
    [​IMG]

Different kind of offroad riding at Keystone MTP Downhill Park :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My buddy checking out some ramps...
    [​IMG]

Things can go wrong even on a very lightweight bike :D
    [​IMG]

I love the Rockies...
    [​IMG]

Horsetooth Reservoir, a nice place ot far from Fort Collins to hang out, relax and swim...
    [​IMG]
    martn130289 and goodcat like this.
  7. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Rundown 9, July 2016: Birthday maintenance and Pikes Peak

After saying good bye to my buddy I headed south again towards Woodland Park where I was to meet up with my swiss buddies Pascal and Janine from ERTW. On my way there I quickly stopped to say hi to Eric at Wolfman Luggage and got myself a fenderbag so my spare tube would finally have its own space to live. Thanks for the chat and discount Eric!

[​IMG]

In Woodland Park we could stay with Paul from Catamount Powersports and he also let us use his workshop to maintain our bikes...

[​IMG]

Since it was my birthday my bike tuned in just to right amount of Km on the speedo :D
    [​IMG]

However, before I gave my bike some birthday love I took my DR up for a spin on Pikes Peak, the second highest peak you can drive up on a road in the Rockies (4300m).
    [​IMG]

The DR struggled a bit above 13.000ft but I made it up... Happy Birthday myself! :p
    [​IMG]

Since Pascals and Janines bikes were already disassembled they used a different ride... what's your preference? :D
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to Paul and his team from Catamount Powersports for being so helpful with the maintenance... :)
    [​IMG]
    osmola, martn130289, shuswap1 and 3 others like this.
  8. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Great photos and story.
    No I'm not just saying that because we are mates haha
    But of course it helps :jack
    moto.phil likes this.
  9. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil
    Happy (delayed) birthday and keep up the good spirit !

Mit härzlichem Gruäss us em Schwitzerländli,
    Peter
    moto.phil likes this.
  10. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Merci Peter! :)

My birthday was in July, just catching up on my travels as I started late with my RR here on advrider. I'm in Guatemala now about to head further south soon! :)

Phil
    DunkingBird likes this.
  11. jerritt

jerritt n00b

Oddometer:
    Your lucky you came last year as we didn't have nearly as much snow. Did you eat at Doug's fish fry I go there with friends from Brooklyn NY, Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania I'm from Toronto. We all get together in Watkins glen in September
    moto.phil likes this.
  12. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Hi Jerrit

Unfortunately no, there's so many food places around NY it would be like winning the Jackpot if I had been there

I was lucky there was not too much snow, but the cold and the rain were also kind of a "cold" start

Phil
  13. DunkingBird

Oddometer:
    So, I created a real delay. In the beginning you mentioned the start of your journey was last April and I shoud have known better.
    I imagine, your next birthday will be special in many ways.

Travel save,
    Peter
    moto.phil likes this.
  14. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Well, it's gonna be changing the 3 to a 4 on my back... so it might be special but I don't care so much about that.. or not yet? Will see where I will be then.

And somehow every day on my journey should be considered special, but sometimes it is not easy to do so, maybe because some "contrast" is missing. I am still pondering about that (luxury) "issue"

Phil
    DunkingBird likes this.
  15. POD1963

POD1963 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent report! Looking forward to the rest of it. My parents are from southern Germany and long ago we traveled to Switzerland and loved it - so beautiful! Gute reise!!
    moto.phil likes this.
  16. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Danke! :)

Yes, Switzerland is also beautiful... As many countries in Europe too... or let's say the whole world

I find mostly those things "absolutely mindblowing" that I have never seen before, like the Canyonlands in UTAH, something we have nothing similar, report will follow soon... next up are the Rockies, which are amazing too!

Phil
  17. DunkingBird

Oddometer:
    I struggle with my version of Carpe Diem quite a lot and got a pleasurable phil-ing about your coming answers ;)
  18. jerritt

jerritt n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi and Happy belated birthday. Dougs fish fry was right across the street from the bakery in the picture
    moto.phil likes this.
  19. moto.phil

Oddometer:
    Oh you're talking Skaneatteles Yeah I think I've seen the place, but I didn't feel like fish, just coffee
  20. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    good to see you on here Phil
    moto.phil likes this.