Moto Photo Mexico - Two Weeks of Amazing Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPhotoAdventures, Jan 15, 2021.

1. MotoPhotoAdventures

MotoPhotoAdventures Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly a year ago today, I took off on the most AMAZING adventure I've had on 2 wheels in quite some time!

I was born and raised overseas and have always had a deep travel lust inside me. I'm also a big photo buff. And I love riding my beautiful Honda CB500X, named Trinity. Last January, before the pandemic hit, I decided to combine all three of these passions into a fun trip down through Mexico and back...experiencing all the culture, the history, the wildlife, the food, the riding, and the fellowship of it's friendly people.

Luckily for me, my friend Jason, who is also an adventure rider and an accomplished video editor, offered to partner with me to create a video series about the trip! So I'd like to share the story of our Moto Photo Mexico Adventure with you. And here's how it all started...

View attachment 2759770
    View attachment 2759771
    View attachment 2759772
    View attachment 2759773
    View attachment 2759774

Attached Files:

2. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm following along, thank you for the Photo work!
    MotoPhotoAdventures likes this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great photos Chris! fellow CB500 X owner
  4. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Before taking off on my Moto Photo Mexico adventure, Jason and I recorded a "Farkles & Mods" video. I have a lot of friends who also ride a CB500X. So Episode 2 of my trip will be particularly interesting to you. But in reality, many of the features and accessories I've added to my bike for this journey are totally applicable to ANY bike on the market. Basically, this is episode is how to outfit your ride for an extended trip into a third world country! :-)

After a lengthy search, and a lot of test-riding, I purchased this used 2013 Honda CB500X in the spring of 2019. Having been stored in a garage, never been taken off-road, and barely ridden 2,000 miles, this beauty was in immaculate condition. From her sleek black styling to her confident attitude, she practically named herself. “Trinity” she is…an homage to the powerful heroine in one of my favorite sci-fi movies, The Matrix. And she'll be carrying me thousands of miles through a foreign country where I don't speak the language, have no idea where I'll be staying, and am quite unsure about what I'll have in the way of wi-fi or cell phone coverage. So I tried to prepare her for every eventuality I could think of. I hope you enjoy the video. Here's a list of all the farkles and mods I mention, as well as a few new ones I've added since my return:

• Rally Raid L1 Suspension
    • Barkbuster Handlebar Guards
    • Shorai Lithium Battery
    • Akrapovic eBay Exhaust
    • Continental TKC80 Tires
    • Motea Skid Plate
    • Givi Windscreen
    • Givi Engine Guards
    • Givi T-513 Engine Guard Bags
    • Givi Top Box Rack
    • Givi Kickstand Foot
    • Givi Luggage Rack
    • Givi 40L Duffel Bag
    • Givi Outback Trekker 37L Panniers
    • Nelson Rigg Sierra Saddlebags
    • Nelson Rigg 40L Sahara Duffel Bag
    • Nelson Rigg 15L Ridge Roll Dry Bag
    • Nelson Rigg Trails End Bottle Holders
    • Nelson Rigg Tool Roll
    • Cortech Tank Bag
    • K&N Air/Oil Filters
    • Garmin Zumo 390 GPS
    • RAM X-Grip Phone Mount
    • RAM GoPro Mounts
    • Vortex Sprockets (16T Drive Sprocket)
    • DID X-Ring Chain
    • SW-Motech Footpegs
    • Super Bright Light LED Driving Lights
    • PIAA Dual Tone Horn
    200405-Charleston-Adventure-Photographer-0008.jpg
    200405-Charleston-Adventure-Photographer-0010.jpg

Attached Files:

swimmer, Cal and okiegtrider like this.
  5. sirtwisty

sirtwisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm following along and eagerly awaiting the next instalment.
    Looks like a super RR, great photo's and the videos are superb.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Terry
  6. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Obviously, the photography and videos are outstanding. Looking forward to a wonderful ride report.
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I give up. How about posting a link that shows up the whole series of videos for the Mexico ride here on adv .You no doubt have the whole set done , but I can not get past the # 4 which keeps coming back .
  8. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    In Episodes 3 of the trip, I share about what Cameras & Electronics I'm bringing to document the adventure:
  9. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Last but not least, I go over all my camping, clothing, and supplies that I'm packing for 2 weeks in Mexico:
  10. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Finally the BIG DAY arrives and I set off on the adventure of a lifetime!!!

sirtwisty likes this.
  11. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Hello Sjoerd!
    My appologies, sir. I've had some family issues pop up I needed to take care of. I'll post the remaining episodes. But of course you can jump ahead any time...they are all on YouTube! Here's the Moto Photo Mexico playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMpCu16Bx7xOgz2lP1igdN0uYO1Aht3Nz. This year since I couldn't leave the country due to COVID, I took my bike on an adventure across America along the Trans-America Trail with a couple friends of mine. You might enjoy that ride series as well. Just hit the Subscribe button and the Bell icon to be notified as we publish new episodes from that trip each week. It's been a BLAST!!! Looking forward to having you along...

12. sirtwisty

sirtwisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chris
    You get a "Rock Star" rating on your videos and report.
    Anxious to see what comes next.
    Lastly, please tell me about the size of the GIVI back bag you are using, dimensions and Litres etc.
    It hold so much crucial gear.
    Thx
    Terry
  13. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thank you kindly, SirTwisty!
    I'm using the Givi Outback Trekker 37L panniers on the sides. And on the top, I have the Givi EA115BK 40L Seat Bag (which you can find here: https://amzn.to/2Ykbrap). Givi also makes the UT803 40L Dry Bag with a few extra features for a few more $ (which you can find here: https://amzn.to/2KWW9Fy). But I went with the cheaper one and have been very happy with it. It's the PERFECT size!!!

200127-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0031.jpg

14. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Tallahassee to Baton Rouge:
    Bunk-a-Biker is a fantastic online community of travelers and motorcycle riders who help each other out by offering other motorcyclists a place to crash, friendly company, and helpful advice. In this episode, I leave my BaB host's place in Tallahassee, FL, and make my way to Baton Rouge. My friend Paul, who I met through Horizons Unlimited (another awesome motorcycle community) has offered to host me for the night.

15. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    After a great night visiting with my friend, Paul, who I met through Horizons Unlimited, I strike out for Santa Clara, TX. I'm heading for my friend Hector Astorga's wildlife photography ranch! Anyone who's ever driven across Texas knows how massive that state is. So this particular leg of the journey turned into one of the LONGEST days I've ever had in the saddle of a motorcycle. I honestly wasn't sure I was going to make it!!!

16. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the editing style. Quick edits and multi angle views. Tasteful transitions. Also, super crisp sound from the helmet. It looks subtle but it takes a lot of work, and it makes a huge difference vs just running clips together. Good work.
  17. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thank you kindly, Tricepilot! The REALLY interesting episodes happen when I get to Mexico. :-)
  18. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    After riding for 15 hours the night before, I took a “rest day” to hang out with my friend and amazing wildlife photographer, Hector Astorga! Hector runs the Santa Clara Wildlife Ranch, where he hosts photography workshops. He took me out to a couple of the blinds, where we had a great time capturing crested caracara, Harris’ hawks, road runners, green jays, and so much more!

200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0058.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0023.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0027.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0032.jpg
  19. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Let’s talk camera gear! In this episode, I’ll share with you what equipment I used for photographing all that wildlife at Santa Clara Ranch yesterday. I had so much fun shooting the crested caracara, Harris’ hawks, cardinals, green jays, bunny rabbits, and my first ROADRUNNER!! I’ll break down the system and explain why I chose each component for this trip. Plus I’ll demonstrate the versatility, compact size, and why it all works so well with motorcycle travel.

200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0021.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0065.jpg
    Pete_Tallahassee likes this.
  20. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    In this episode, I crossed the boarder into Mexico at Reynossa…which many consider to be a very dangerous place! But I had the great help of a kind and generous man named Rosendo, who was a friend of my friend Javier. Other than being searched by boarder patrol, and dealing with all the paperwork, the trip from Santa Clara Wildlife Ranch to Monterrey was pretty smooth!