Moto Photo Mexico - Two Weeks of Amazing Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPhotoAdventures, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    did you send copies of those photos to the people?
    MotoPhotoAdventures likes this.
  2. pedalpics

pedalpics n00b

Oddometer:
    Love seeing posts with birds. Going to have to watch your vids when I get home. I love photographing birds. We have some amazing ones in Southern AZ. DSC_4199.jpg
  3. MotoPhotoAdventures

MotoPhotoAdventures Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes! I love sending people their pictures. :-)
  4. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    That's a great shot! Glad you enjoy the photos. I love photographing birds as well! You'll really enjoy Episode 8 & 9 where I photograph some awesome wildlife in southern Texas before crossing into Mexico. :-)

pedalpics likes this.
  5. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    After bidding farewell to my wonderful Bunk-a-Biker Mexico host, Maria, and the beautiful city of Zacatecas, Trinity and I made our way across the Central Mexican Plateau. We were heading up to an old mining town at over 9,000 ft in elevation called Real de Catorce. Catorce, which means fourteen in Spanish, is named after the 14 Spanish soldiers killed here in an ambush by Chichimeca warriors. At the height of it’s silver mining days, it was a bustling epicenter of over 15,000 inhabitants. Today only 1,000 or so eek out a living here through mine tailings, religious pilgrims to a reputedly miraculous image of St. Francis in the parish church, and of course the tourist industry. Two of the most interesting attractions to me are the 17 mile (27 km) hand-laid cobblestone highway leading up to the entrance of Real de Catorce…and Tunel de Ogarrio, a 1.5 mile (2.4 km) hand-dug tunnel entrance through the mountain to get to the city.
    This place was truly a "hidden gem".

Check out the video to really get a sense of this place:

200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0444.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0445.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0448.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0454.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0458.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0470.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0471.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0472.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0480.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0491.jpg
    Bapeter11, NSFW, Mcahron and 2 others like this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the girl in the blue skirt.
    steved57 and MotoPhotoAdventures like this.
  7. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm following along - fantastic pics & videos - thanks for taking the time.

And I see the a great pic in your garage of the best sport - Rugby & I think thats Todd Clever.

Keep the rubber side down
  8. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cal! She looked so calm and at peace with the world as I walked the bustling streets. Behind me on the other side of the road was a huge row of crowded shops full of load vendors peddling their wares. Early in my trip (I think it was around around Episode 14), I had learned how to say "May I take your picture?" in Spanish. With a smile, I fumbled through that phrase and she gently nodded and gave me that smile. I captured a single frame and gave her a friendly "muchas gracias" before getting lost back in the crowd. It was a moment I'll never forget!
    Cal likes this.
  9. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much, RhinoVonHawkrider! Yes, that is indeed Todd Clever. At the time he was captain of the USA Rugby Team. I photographed it on assignment during a match they had against France many years ago. The image was selected by Professional Photographers of America to be displayed at Imaging USA that year, which is a large annual conference for professional photographers. At the end of the conference I was told I could have the display. I hadn't planned on bringing home this MASSIVE image...but how could I refuse, right?!? Luckily I had driven to the conference, which was in Nashville that year. Can you imagine me trying to squeeze that into the overhead bin above my seat on an airplane...HAHA!!! :-) Todd later became the Rugby advisor on the movie set of "Invictus", with Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon, directed by Clint Eastwood. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it!

Cal likes this.
  10. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Chris - yes I've seen the movie.

That's a great Pic.

On a side note I just emailed USA Rugby to attempt to get the next world cup in America.

I'm going to nominate you as the official photographer

This could be you

Pic from 2007 RWC in France.

Did a double - RWC & next day WSBK race at Nevers - Magny - Cours. To see Toseland win the championship on the best moto - Honda

Great trip DSCF0271.JPG DSCF0327.JPG
  11. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    WOW!!! That's awesome, man! Great shots! And I hope you get what you ask for. I love shooting professional sporting events. :-)

09-11-22-1580.jpg 070531-0051.jpg 080809-0131.JPG 120811-0250.jpg 120915-0038.jpg Air Show-0002.JPG AVP2008-0005.JPG CS1_1792.jpg
    CS3_1846-2.JPG
    CS3_4655-2.JPG

NSFW, yamalama, Mcahron and 3 others like this.
  12. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Great shots Chris

Love the 1st one - I'm a Miami fan (uncle is an alum)

Mine were from a point & shoot - I'm no photographer - I just know to keep the sun to my back...
  13. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thanks, brother! Glad you enjoyed them. Keep shooting...and keep the rubber side down. :-)

RhinoVonHawkrider likes this.
  14. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    When I visited Real de Catorce last year, it really struck a chord in my heart. Life there can’t be easy. But everyone was so happy and friendly!

On a VERY chilly morning at over 9,000 feet in elevation, I packed Trinity up and bid farewell to my host as we headed back towards Monterrey. The guards at the Ogarrio Tunnel posed for one last photo with me in this magical town. Today was the day we would complete our “loop” around eastern Mexico, heading back over the scenic Sierra Madre Oriental mountains. Arriving back in Monterrey, it was so much fun to see my new-found friends again. It felt like a homecoming. But in reality it was a farewell, as this would be my last night in Mexico. I had fallen in love with this amazing country, its friendly people, its rich culture, and it’s beautiful landscapes!

Come along and experience the journey with me here:

Next year I hope to return once the travel restrictions are lifted. Anyone else planning a motorcycle trip to Mexico?

200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0493.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0494.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0495.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0498.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0499.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0502.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0503.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0506.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0507.jpg
  15. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful Mexico! :thumb
    MotoPhotoAdventures and Cal like this.
  16. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Leaving Mexico last year at this time, and heading home after my awesome adventure south of the boarder was hard. Over the last few weeks I’d fallen in love with the charming towns, colorful architecture, deep history, and wonderful people! Leaving is particularly hard when Javier had been such an incredible host to me. He’s a great ambassador for his country! The sun was shining as I rode back to the boarder crossing at Reynosa. Remember Rosendo, the nice gentleman who helped me weed through all the paperwork to get into Mexico? He kindly met me for a final authentic Mexican lunch before I headed back across the boarder at the Reynosa-Hidalgo Bridge. I was a little disappointed in the boarder guard’s attitude on the American side once I crossed back “home”. I guess he doesn't see many gringo motorcycle travelers come through there solo?!? But otherwise, it was a smooth transition. I made good time crossing Texas until I fell exhausted into a saggy bed at a cheap motel in Victoria. The next couple days were a blur as I beat the pavement for hours on end, feeling a touch of "get-home-itis" under my skin. It was an awesome adventure and I can't thank my lovely wife, Cami, enough for letting me do it. :-)

200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0002.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0067.jpg 200114-Moto-Photo-Mexico-0511.jpg
    pitbull likes this.
  17. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    wow. thank you - for taking the time to post.
  18. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! It was so much fun. I'm glad you enjoyed the post!!!
    yamalama likes this.
  19. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking this trip and for your approach to travel and sharing your story. Excellent writing, pictures and editing.

I look forward to more trip reports from y'all.
  20. MotoPhotoAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind and thoughtful comment, Jathkajoe! I highly recommend watching our Trans-America Trail series as we cross the United States on dirt trails and country roads. It's a wonderful series. Meanwhile, we are already editing the series we did on the South Carolina Adventure Route (SCAR). I hope you'll subscribe and follow along: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFwleuZpTORGW6ZeX_GVkg.

jathkajoe and NSFW like this.