Moto Trials affected by Covid-19....

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Norman Foley, Mar 5, 2020.

1. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hugged all the relatives that came for Mother's Day at the ranch yesterday! It did feel like the Larson cartoon posted above.

Fuggit.
    How Im Feeling Now.JPG
    Drink beer and throw a frisbee. Wheee!
    Ymirtrials, Dorian, slicktop and 4 others like this.
  2. Paul7

Paul7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. motobene

Oddometer:
    I was 13 in 1969. It was a different time. Other than the worry over melting in nuclear war we didn't think much about things.
    MATTY and Huzband like this.
  4. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was 15 and bummed to have missed it. My best friend and I vowed to not miss another festival like that. Next year there was the NY Pop Festival on Randall's Island in NYC. Our parents wouldn't let us go, so we defied them and took off to NYC. It was quite the experience for a couple of young kids, literally.... sex, drugs, and rock and roll! I never before or after that, had I been in so much trouble with my parents! I was grounded for a year! I saw Jimi Hendrix play the Star Spangled Banner at dawn, so it was worth every minute of it. Sadly my childhood best friend Billy, would die when he was 18 in a street bike crash. I still miss him very much
    Ymirtrials, laser17, 2whlrcr and 2 others like this.
  5. motobene

Oddometer:
    Great story!

You had a Jimmy Hendrix experience. I'm envious!

Maybe each generation has these special times where change is strongly in the air (for better and worse). Our time was a period of very rapid cultural change. Some good, some definitely bad. My older brother is 7 years older than me and went right through the whole thing. I got caught up a little later, but caught up nonetheless. One thing's for sure. It was a Cambrian Explosion of many things, like music and motorcycles!

A very exciting time. Probably a good thing most of the pot was weak and skanky, and the Quaaludes were few and far between. And the Kawasaki Bighorn right-side case didn't stick out more than it did!

I lost a closer friend to cancer then. As for getting off'd by street bike I knew of four, none particularly close to me. Oddly, I pegged three of the four as at risk beforehand. They had that tendency to go WFO and appeared to lack a fear feedback loop. Another friend was a wheelie king on his CT-1. We'd ride around town as a group to watch him weave through cars front wheel up.

Those were the days.
    MATTY and Norman Foley like this.
  6. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    In 1969 i was 11 years old, and into BSA bantams cubs and C15s Enfield clipper and crusaders and I had as a trials bike A BSA Bantam B175 with Aloy tank and guards. Was my pride and joy.
    I was fishing for pike some Rabbiting and even then hooked on waterfowling and gundogs had springers and a Black Labrador. And when i was not Trials riding or on horseback, i was Next to the river enen off season most nights watching the ducks geese and any deer i could find. With my best friends my dogs.
    I got married we had kids all that normal stuff, then i got old, but nothing changed just the same inside but only a young boy like this now in heart. Really nothing changed. I got it right first time.I think .Brought my kids up tried to give them, what i thought they wanted to do, sometimes i think i did it right. But not everyday. But its in their hearts too, hope they find what they want. I did .!
    I am off out with my Labrador in about 20 mins walk to the kershope burn watch the sun go down, and the ducks settling down for the night.

Still the same.

upload_2020-5-12_20-45-23.png
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    In 69 I was 21...
    Huzband, Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  8. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not covid but actually had a Dr tell me yesterday she would rather I ride my dirt bike this weekend than put my hand in a fishes mouth till it heals up a bit more. Lol. Never thought I would hear that
    motobene, Huzband, slicktop and 2 others like this.
  9. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Was it the best time of your life? :lol3

I was 3.....
    Huzband and jonnyc21 like this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 1969 we were planning our move to Albuquerque and motorcycles were going to be bought upon arrival. I had thought for sure I was getting a Honda trail 70, but a used mini trail 50 ended up being my first ride!
    Brewtus, Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  11. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    In 1969 I was riding a Ducati Cadet 100 2T.
    Huzband likes this.
  12. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I'm just quoting JB, I'm was really 13.
    motobene and Brewtus like this.
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    May 13, 2020
    New Mexico State Forester Mandates Early Fire Restrictions
    on All Non-municipal, Non-federal, and Non-tribal Lands Statewide
    in Response to Dry Conditions and COVID-19
    SANTA FE, NM – In an effort to protect communities, firefighters, first responders, and New Mexico’s natural resources, the Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department Forestry Division today announced restrictions on fireworks, smoking, campfires and open fires on all non-municipal, non-federal, and non-tribal lands statewide. Due to warmer temperatures, lower humidity, high winds, and an abundance of dry, fine fuels, the fire danger is increasing throughout the state. The current COVID-19 pandemic only amplifies the current danger by putting an additional strain on firefighting resources. The restrictions will go into effect at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 13, 2020

We just lost Memorial Weekend and 4th of July by our Governor today. She extended the stay at home order and now requires face masks while out in public. Good thing neither one is enforceable.
  14. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    :bluduh
    Huzband likes this.
  15. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1969 was a 17-year-old motocross cursed youth missing the best concert ever at Monterey Pop festival with my older sister in 1967.

Attached Files:

16. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that a Zundap?
  17. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I think that's a American Eagle 125 which I think may have used a Puch engine, although it looks like right side shift in the photo, maybe he just had his brake pedal adjusted very high. Hopefully he'll confirm.

Edit; I looked it up it would have been a Zundapp engine, I still wonder about the shifter though.
  18. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Zundapp 125 at Poso Creek race track just west of Famoso raceway dragstrip 20 miles north of Bakersfield.
    Huzband, Brewtus and lineaway like this.
  19. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    A 125 American Eagle I built about 9 years ago and raced in the AHRMA Classic 125 expert class/ also Fixx 100_3041.JPG all the short cummings.
    DyrWolf, Huzband, Brewtus and 3 others like this.
  20. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Missing the Monterey Pop Festival with your older sister & a bunch of stoners; meh.

Looking like DeCoster coming over a jump; priceless!
    slicktop and Brewtus like this.