Moto Trials affected by Covid-19....

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Norman Foley, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Did I say or allude to anything like that in my post? :scratch
    Norman Foley likes this.
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's better than taking a dump on the ground, but a society that's gone
    Screenshot_20200519-083239~2.png
    is making us all a bit:pain :hide
    Norman Foley likes this.
  3. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    New Jersey did this way before Covid-19. Eliminated staff and closed rest area buildings, replacing them with porta johns. Maybe with the present situation, they have gotten rid of the shitters, and now you have to go on the ground?
  4. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe miss read. Sounded like if they hadn’t gone to rehab they wouldn’t have gotten sick
  5. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for a little help / ideas...
    Our local Off Road Riding (Motorcycles only) Association (NSORRA) participated in a large conference call with Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage (CCH) along with NS Public Heath Director, Dr. Strang, and many other NS recreational organizations.

They have been asked to create a roll out plan to move the season forward with respect to COVID-19.

We are somewhat fortunate because Off Road Riding is an outdoor sport and can easily achieve social distancing guidelines with the help of our members and volunteers, but there are many other conditions that must be met.

Once this rollout plan is finalized and approved by the NSORRA Board of Directors, it will be sent to CCH for review and approval before being forwarded to the NS Department of Health. They will make the go-ahead decision.

To complete the plan, they are looking for our ideas on small group activities to engage our membership.

I figure trials is a no brainer but we will need to come up with a plan outline to present to NSORRA so they can put it forward as part of their larger plan.

Has anybody seen a plan that covers having actual trials events or ideas that may help? Here in NS we typically get 12 to 15 riders at an event and have 3 or 4 lines (Beginner, Novice, Intermediate, Advanced). I am thinking that if we have pre event registration and know who is actually coming (always struggled with this is in the past) we should be able to organize the event well. I also thinking that we will need to have larger areas between sections or have people ride 2 sections back to back without stopping, if there is not room between them to social distance. We self score but instead of having a punch at every section we may move to people using a there own sharpie or punch that they carry with them. Everyone needs to bring a thing of hand sanitizer and keep 6 feet apart at all times.... Pretty sure we can make it work (bigger question is will people come to an event ???)
  6. motobene

Oddometer:
    On my 'commute' from SW OK to central NM I am amazed by how many rest areas still exist are along I-40 in Texas and New Mexico. We appreciate this old way of thinking as it allows us and three dogs to travel with less stress. States run by Utopians with a fleeing tax bases seem to be extincting their rest areas (if I'm wrong about this call me out). The virus may wipe out a number of these nationally as excuses are made after it passes to not re open them.

During one recent drive out a critical rest areas was blocked off for 'safety.' Truckers desperately needing to pee, poop, or rest, were stopping on the on ramps and off ramps to do their business and I passed by right as an almost-wreck happened because of the closure. Lots of unintended-consequences are happening from trying to 'slow the spread' and those costs are not being well accounted for.

Assumptions about what is 'safe' or not south of the Canadian border have varied tremendously and unfortunately according to political philosophies. A lot of elected and un elected officials are flexing their control muscles or covering their behinds. Some measures are sound. Others are pretty stupid.

Don't assume because you have a great plan, a group won't nix it because they watch the news every night and are scared, or because you are motorcyclists who are destroying the planet, and the virus is a great excuse to bar you from access.

There is a gym in the northeast of the US that developed an impressive Covid plan and strict protocols to be able to re open and not die. The owner, who is just trying to survive, has run afoul of the officious and now there is a media circus and battle of wills, with protesters.

The police recently came and stated the business was in violation, but wished them well and left. A more conservative media outlet was there checking out their protocols. That media outlet left and the police returned 10 minutes later with leftist media in tow, and now the police are there showing an intent to cite. One woman who exited was arrested for 'failure to identify.'

I have Airbnb guests who come to our Airbnb house place because it's isolated, yes all by itself. We space guests and have quite the cleaning protocol to protect them and us. Our guests also come to hike in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge 15 minutes away. Now, even though there is no good evidence people are particularly at risk being 50 feet from each other outdoors in the sunshine and fresh air, the popular hiking trails have all been all blocked off.

If you attain success let us know what you did and how. If not, let us know that too.
  7. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I heard back form NSORRA (which I was pres of 10 years ago when it was just starting) and they need my plan by end of day. I am involved with flat water paddling (on the exec for the Atlantic region) and with Sailing both just had their plans approved last week so I am hopeful (and have some wording already). At the moment the biggest issue is the border between NS and NB is closed (NB hasn't had any new cases for weeks now but NS has been getting a few each day) about half our riders live in NB so our events will be very small until the border opens (is it really worth putting on an event for less than 10 people - assuming that many show up ???). I typically say - Why not ! setting up sections is always good fun and this just adds more of a challenge to it.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin court says the governor's shut down is unconstitutional. Everything is opening up and looks like our 1st meet in Door county is on.I don't think what is going to happen in Wisconsin is going to be very nice.I have picked out a camp site far away from everyone.
    Brewtus, Yinzer Moto and DyrWolf like this.
  9. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I think you need to check the website. Unless you like driving for nothin.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will check it out but I was helping clear sections Last weekend. 20200516_135823.jpg
    Brewtus likes this.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just checked,well that just sucks.We have alternate plan which I will talk to Ryan about tomorrow.There will be quite a few of us there riding even if not a district race.Most likly throw together a gate trials for fun like Phil Smage had.That was a blast.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  13. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man I sure wish all we needed to use is a leaf blower to clear sections........:D
    motobene, Huzband and Brewtus like this.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talked to Ryan and we are still making a weekend of it.Come on over and join us for 2 days of fun.So far 5 of us for sure.
    Huzband likes this.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It also involved chain saw,generator and grinder with diamond wheel to cut rebar.Some of the sections are in a water park that never got finished. We built a new section that involves some concrete foundations that had rebar sticking out that we spent a lot of time removing.we are not going to let the cancellation spoil having some fun. Screenshot_2020-05-21-08-00-56.png
    oldtrialer, Ymirtrials and Brewtus like this.
  16. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I need pictures of some of those sections!
    Brewtus and Huzband like this.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will take some picks next time I go down.I do have this pic from last weekend of a smaller double step that is still a work in progress. Friend was taking my old ty for a test spin.It is steeper than it looks in pick.Half the sections are in woods and other half in old water park.We put a 2 foot steel drain pipe against a cement wall for a cool obstacle that I will get a pick of.It is a cool place to ride and camp and over looks lake Michigan and a local Marina. 20200516_134132.jpg
  18. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Door county is too far for me to go play ride, when I can go out my back door.
  19. motobene

Oddometer:
    It's been 15 years, but remember Michigan terrain well, and putting on several great trials events and Ryan Young schools on my 10 acres of glacial moraine! Some old oil tanks to add to my few rocks.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't blame you as that is one hell of a haul.Takes me 2 hours which is not to bad.Not many to ride with in u.p so I have to always go to wi.I see there are 3 guys up in Marquette that have trials bikes and going to contact them to go riding with.There are some crazy ass places to ride up there like one cool huge rock section called moon rocks.