1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Moto Trials affected by Covid-19....

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Norman Foley, Mar 5, 2020.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Without googling it, I think it's about 4 hours for me. I've never been to an event there either. Maybe when I retire, or maybe not. :)
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    He’s supposed to have that bandanna over his face!:fpalm:D
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using a bandana for covid is like using a chain link fence to keep mosquitos away lol.
    jonnyc21, lineaway and Huzband like this.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    More than welcome to come over if you want.Will and Pat D will be there also.
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I saw them at the Hard Enduro, I'm good.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  6. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re entered the blue state New Mexico yesterday on I-40 to overhead highway signs around Moriarty and Tijeras saying face coverings are mandatory. I thought, rag over face? This mandate was being ignored by almost everyone. I did see one bicyclist on a road all by himself with a mask:webers But in the stores compliance is likely 100%, even if it's a fairly useless thin cloth.

Called D&D (Amarillo) yesterday to check on them. Their Beta/Sherco dealership they said was doing great, selling bikes and being busy in shop service work. Getting out and riding is one of the few things people in the TX panhandle can get out and do. Good thing for them the authorities in that region didn't go nuts and close down the off road riding areas. So for them Covid-19 has perhaps given them at least a short-term bump in business.
    Norman Foley and Huzband like this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was W.H.O. suggestion. And now reality. Reality says masks actually do nothing for the wearer than give a false sense of security. You need to wear a respirator to actually have a chance stopping the spread.
  9. rokhopr

rokhopr 2019 TRRS 250

Oddometer:
    btw, here's how NM counties stack up against all other counties in the US. NM Counties not shown have zero deaths.

upload_2020-5-25_9-52-35.png
  10. motobene

Oddometer:
    Masks work, but unfortunately too much is political these days, so all the detail of what mask and when to wear them gets washed out in divided camps spouting dogmatic univariate analyses.

Masks trap virus particles on one side or the other (in versus out). The question is how many (how good is the mask), and that's very important. Viral exposure is like radiation exposure. You don't want a lot all at once. My previous experiences with masks was with dust masks or 2-cartridge organic-vapor masks. Nothing in between. I've had some learning experiences that have made me re think masks.

I was fortunate to have half a small box of 3M N95 masks in the NM house I bought. The former owner was an epidemiologist. I keep one in my vehicle for going into stores.... I was recently finishing up sheetmetal work on a garage. All the cutting was with a thin fiber cutoff wheel spun at high rpm with an angle grinder. Great tool, but the cuts generate lots of particulates and an icky burned-resin smell. I thought, "Hmm, I have this N95 mask... why not try it?" I was amazed at how little of the junk got through! Even the smell was almost completely gone! An N95 mask is now integrated into my work methods when fine dust is produced.

So now I know very good masks do cut way down on the in and out, whether it is dust or aerosols with SARS CoV-2 riding along inside. So they work. But should I be made to wear one riding a bicycle outdoors by myself? No.

What is justified as being mandated by government is tricky one and how much is done depends on the risks... and wise risk balancing. True risk balanced against the consequences of abatement. Take the political/religious idea that we should do extreme things to 'save one life.' No we shouldn't! That sort of poor risk assessment is extremely damaging to personal liberty and health. Safetycrat politicians and media talking heads who push the collapse of economies to 'save even one life' are idiots. We should ensure such people do not gain power over us.

A lot of people are dying directly from the virus, but it's possible a whole lot more are dying and will die from a monomania of 'flattening the curve.' From suicides to deferred elective surgeries. The long term effects of putting a lot of people out of business is in hindsight going to be criticized heavily, in my opinion. But the damage will have been done.
    Dorian, unospeeder, jonnyc21 and 3 others like this.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they told us no masks were good since there was a shortage of N-95 masks. I gave all mine away to my wife`s work. Then I ordered a few dozen N 95 on Amazon before they were outlawed from selling to the public. I think it was about 10 weeks before I got them, but seem to be China knock offs. Not what I actually ordered.
    Good thing I actually had two respirators in good shape. N 95 and an N 99. Only to be used if a family member gets sick. Now having to wear a mask at work, I just use the cheapest thing I can find so I can actually breath. Bandana, sock or just super glue some toilet paper to my face!:lol2
    jonnyc21, Brewtus and motobene like this.
  12. motobene

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I was like oh wow on the death rate, until I saw it was expressed as a percent. The highest listed was at 0.13% or 0.0013. For comparison, the CDC figure for mortality per 100,000 for influenza 2017-2018 for age group 65+ is 0.10% or 0.001.
  13. Paul7

Paul7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    motobene likes this.
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I just rode my bicycle outside. I did not wear a mask. I may hop on the trials bike and do a little hopping. Probably not going to wear a mask then either.
    jonnyc21, LemmeTry, motobene and 2 others like this.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the case of covid19 they do not recommend the valve type. But as far as protection, that is a great one.
    Too bad you can`t buy any.

April 2020
    • 3M is producing 35 million N95 respirators per month in the United States.
    • 3M is working with government agencies and distributors to send 90% of these to healthcare facilities and first responders, with the remainder going to critical infrastructure such as food production, pharmaceuticals and energy.
    • In early April, 3M reached an agreement with the U.S. government that will enable FEMA to import 166.5 million 3M respirators into the United States from our plants in Asia.
    • 3M, Congress and U.S. Administration officials continue to discuss supply-demand challenges, as well as policies to promote domestic production, increase supply and other actions to provide personal protective equipment (PPE) to healthcare workers and first responders across the U.S.
    • 3M expects to increase respirator production capacity to 50 million per month in China, an almost 200% increase from average 2019 levels.
    Paul7 likes this.
  16. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I worked on my friends 930, without a mask.

Attached Files:

17. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Take the Navajos and the fiascos at the nursing homes out of those numbers and there is basically not much going on here. And....I’m not marginalizing the Navajos at all, but that is a whole unique situation over there.
    I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I don’t really thing that we have had enough of the virus around here to develop any kind of herd immunity and it will still hammer us later. :dunno
    Norman Foley likes this.
  18. Paul7

Paul7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was kinda posting that for motobene, it's a better mask to use in the shop grinding or whatever. When you can get them!
    lineaway likes this.
  19. motobene

Oddometer:
    One thing about this Covid phase is less time in microbreweries and more time in the shop!:clap

The Sherco trials bike has been gathering dust pending Ute Cup prep, but I'm having a lot of mototech fun further farkling my Gen 1 '03 KLR 685 as a test bed for auto clutches. A surprising result of a great auto clutch was enabling a revised controls scheme. I'm at no manual clutch lever and no foot brake on the KLR and it's working so well the Beta 390 will get a similar (but slightly different) treatment - when I can afford the $1,200 to get there.

Don't know if any of it has bearing on trials for accommodating gimps with other problems than mine, but after three injury crashes off road on the bigger bikes resulting from thud/pop stalls, it was time to rethink things.

With a trials bike a left-side foot brake is logical and technically easy for this gimp. I've been getting by heeling the rear brake on 'normal' bikes for 50 years, but curing stalls has got me off in an unexpected direction.

If you are bored this jumps to the results page. Scroll to the top of the page if it doesn't start there:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/rekl...all-applications.1439172/page-8#post-40123301
    Huzband, Junglejeff1 and Norman Foley like this.
  20. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer: