Motobene's Color-Based Simplified Section Marking System

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motobene, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your start/end marking is pretty simple for sure. I'm used to this..[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow that is just like the weather here... you start in the sunshine and finish in snow - If you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes it will change :-)
    Norman Foley and North ride like this.
  3. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reason I ask is that in the past , MOTA required number plate backgrounds match class designation so to make it easier for the observers to identify . Now days , color coded rider desg. over white background .

Our Club took the initiative / expense to print up large index size laminated color coded cards , that we've been able to reuse for I think our 4'th season . As yours , it gives an easier visual for the rider to know what they're looking for .

MOTA has not mandated any color designations for section markings though .
  4. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in MOTA territory from '92 to 2004.

When I first started riding events there the marking system was, um, in a dip, with the only value being cheap as possible (or so it seemed). We're talking like 2 rolls of tape per event, and splits consisting of white paper plates stapled conveniently high up in trees with chicken scratch written on. Tiny bits of ribbon on trees formed a ''dotted line" perimeter. If you ventured out of this 'intended' perimeter you earned yourself a lovely 5.

Some of us were determined to up the marking game and we're able to under the offshoot club, West Michigan Trials Club started by Ron Brehm and maybe Scott Beatty and Gary Grot as well?

I came in later. We all had properties to host events. We upped our marking with solid ribbon and splits with the classes on white cards in single, large black letters with commas in between. I, A, E etc (this was before gates became to rule). Single letters for classes was a little radical at the time.

Had some great times riding in Michigan. Not sure what is going on in MOTA today, all these years later. They still have that 45-section rides per event minimum rule?
  5. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah , I remember that well .

Yeah , we were rebels back then .

Got it down to 40 min. Attempts though .

Still believe in quality vs quantity though .
  6. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Motobene marking system has proven itself in the real world even better than I had hoped! It's the official HPTA marking method now and we're moving on to event #4 with it. The few things I worried about that were a little different have actually turned out to be beneficial and appreciated by the riders.

The rare bidirectional gates, for example. I thought some traditionalists might trip all over that and that I'd not get past the starting line. Our club experience has been that having more than one direction for a gate or two in a section or two added depth to section design and experience and there have been no problems. The only thing you have to think about is making sure that alternate solutions are roughly equivalent in difficultly. That has proven to be easier than expected. We even had a ride-off after event #2 with the two riders riding a section two different directions through a critical gate. The ride-off was more interesting as a result!

Ease of setup and tear down with re use of flags has been fantastic! Being able to run sections one direction on Saturday and the other on Sunday has almost halved the number of sections needed for a 2-day events. Swapping start and end flags and doing about 5 minutes of editing per section to harmonize with the change of flow direction has worked out fantastically over the five regional events using this system.

We had our third HPTA event with the marking system last weekend. It was COLD Saturday morning and labor to set up the Sunday sections plus sections for the fun gate trial on Saturday afternoon was sparse. Thanks for the system, great sections for the Sunday event came together quickly. We did not have time to make gate trials sections for Saturday afternoon. Then a rider suggested using the first four sections of the Sunday event for the Saturday fun gate trial. The solution involved riding the four sections backwards and assigning points to the line colors. This two proved out beautifully! Now we can cut 8 sections out of the work for an event without compromising the gate trial quality or making riders too familiar with the Sunday sections!

The following is the printed and laminated HPTA reference card for section builders and also for zip tying to each bundle of score cards for group scoring. This version adds in the gate trial points assignments:

190102 HPTA Score Cards Control Sheet.JPG

Notice anything backwards? That's right. HPTA assigns MORE points to easier line gates to flatten out the scores between riders. Your club can do it however you want of course. By the way, our gate trials have the rider losing all the points accumulated in a section if he or she dabs.

As a reminder, I revised the color scheme before implementation in the HPTA event. Farther up you will find a different order to the colors. What is in this post is now proven to be golden.

In the revision, I pushed white and green down in the hierarchy because the MIGHT be harder to see in snow or against a background of green. The large flags, however, have proven SO much more visible I now know for sure that just plain color and no patterns or additional anything works far better than printed cards with text.

As another reminder, if your club uses a split-day format the same colors apply both morning and afternoon, and you tell sections apart within the one day and between Saturday and Sunday sections only by change of perimeter tape color. This simple system is very flexible, easy to use, cheaper, and increases the quality of the experience. I present it for free. It took my club actually using it for the light to finally comer on. I don't expect it to overcome traditions simply by being described in this forum. It has to be tried or at list video documented to be easier to 'see.'

Gonna have to get myself a GoPro or equivalent....
    fprintf and Nobade like this.