Motobins Key Cuts Luck

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by J-Boy, Jun 15, 2018.

1. J-Boy

J-Boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1978 R80/7. I ordered a few of the folding key blanks and some of the non folding blanks from Motobins and shipped to me here in the USA. Though they are for my airhead according to the website and my research, they seem to have a slightly wider channel in them compared to my stock key. Went to two VERY reputable locksmiths here in Chicago, and both had the same issue getting them to cut deep enough to work. Has anyone had this same issue or is there a trick to getting these cut correctly?
  2. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take your original key to a real locksmith. There is a Taylor blank that is a perfect match, and they won't hassle (or even refuse) to cut it, because it is brass.
    spokester likes this.
  3. TwoShoes

TwoShoes How Many Shoes?

Oddometer:
    I generally leave the key in the ignition for shorter stops (not much of a market for "hot" BMW parts or bikes of this vintage around here), but last week I was going to be leaving it in a busy parking lot unattended for several hours, so I took it with me. Of course I forgot where I put it and after about 20 minutes of frantic retracing my steps I finally found it again. Big relief moment, as each bike only has one key. Decided my luck probably isn't going to last forever so went to a real locksmith armed with "There is a Taylor blank that is a perfect match", but unfortunately my local locksmith doesn't carry Taylor blanks. He did find one that is also a perfect match, so posting it here for everyone's benefit;

ILCO Y61

works on the /6's and /7's that I have, smooth as silk
    spokester, 100RT and PaulBarton like this.
  4. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I got my /5 it only came with the spare wallet key (flat metal no Bakelite “beetle” on it). At first I would religiously remove the key from the headlight switch so no one could take my “prized” possession. At the end of a workday I got geared up and head down to the garage. Can’t find the key anywhere...hmm. End up taking a bus home and not sure what I’m gonna do. Head into the office the next day in my cage. When I get to the office taped to the wall by the elevator buttons is my key. Evidently, it came out of my pocket when I pulled the card key out for the elevator and I was none the wiser. The person that found it decided it was odd enough to tape to the wall for the unsuspecting “loser”.

Well, I now leave the key in the headlight switch (if someone really wanted a /5 they could use a 16p nail). I have also sourced some beetle keys through fleabay. I’ve had to modify them slightly to work with my switchgear- wear patterns different.
    Texer likes this.
  5. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The folding safety keys are not that obvious when they are left in the ignition. Many times the MOT guy has asked me for the ignition key and where to put it when it's already in there.
  6. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought two folding and two non-folding from motobins, and both work fine on my RS and LS
  7. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    When you say wider, do you mean fatter or taller? Either way, it shouldn't be an issue cutting them. I have a key machine and make my own keys from blanks and can't picture how I couldn't cut a key.
  8. Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find a local locksmith willing to cut steel blanks, so I just filed them myself with needle files, using the original as a guide. Worked fine for both my R100GS and my K100RS.

Andy
    Texer likes this.
  9. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Did not even bother going to a locksmith, just filed and they are good to go. Maybe not as neat as a locksmith machining.
  10. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember I bought two folding keys from them last year or the year before for two of my bike. One works but One for a 83 R80ST was too short.
    I learned there are two different lengths of folding keys.
    The long ones are not available.
  11. TwoShoes

TwoShoes How Many Shoes?

Oddometer:
    27E65089-962E-4F98-B036-DB440A8ABAE5.jpeg
    Peace of mind... level 5

2 keys made for each bike, one hidden on each bike, one kept centrally
    spokester, lucky6600 and bpeckm like this.
  12. J-Boy

J-Boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What key blanks are those?
  13. TwoShoes

TwoShoes How Many Shoes?

Oddometer:
    Those be the ILCO Y61
  14. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    I have bought keys from M'bins before and they were ok to get cut.

Years back, I would commonly misplace my key. Then I decided that when not in the ignition the key always stayed on me..right pants pocket. Always.
    A buddy had his jacket nicked once, so it never goes into a jacket pocket.
    beemeruss and Solo Lobo like this.
  15. elmontanero

elmontanero Practicing...

Oddometer:
    I picked a pair of folders from ebay to replace mine. I was worried about getting them right. I took out the metal key part from the folding plastic and gave it to the ACE hardware guys to cut. They warned me that if they ruined it they could not/would not replace it. I told them to give it a try.
    Both cut perfectly and work. I asked how much I owe, they said they charge for the blank, not for the cuts. They had no blank SKU to go by so it was free!
  16. Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My local ACE won't cut customer-supplied blanks.

Andy
  17. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I don't use any key. I have removed all th ignition switches from my /7s and they are in a box with their keys. The key just shows thieves where to attack. But as was mentioned, airheads are not exactly on the frequently stolen list. And if someone wants one they will use a van or trailer and just haul it away. The joy rider is a bigger problem, more so, I suspect, for the "custom" crowd. For this it is good to have the engine locked down. I have one toggle switch for the ignition, another opposite it for the lights and a third in an oddball place that cuts out the coils. if you figure out the ignition toggle it will crank all day and not start. Nothing to lose like a key. It's essentially an intellectual lock. You don't have to have a thing, you need to know a thing.
  18. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine will, but they get it wrong 1/3 of the time...
    PaulBarton likes this.
  19. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

Mine used to but not anymore after the new store manager.
    I did tell them I will take full responsibility if it didn’t work. Or can I borrow the machine myself? They said no.....
  20. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This makes me want to get a bunch of blanks and go down to my local locksmith, who has cut them for me before no questions/no issues, and get a bunch cut just in case something happens like they close (hopefully not but not un-likely as my side of town continues to go crazy with "gentrification, construction, and rising property values") or I move somewhere else...