Motocamp Cooking

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by dwtwp, Jun 28, 2019.

1. dwtwp

dwtwp Flying W California

Oddometer:
    What do you cook when motorcycle camping? Do you have a favorite motocamp meal? Looking for recipes that travel well for several days that I can try out and feature on video.

For example this is a recent one on how to make Apple Cinnamon and Bacon Crepes at the campsite.

I live in Livermore, CA. It is a short ride out to the Sierras, Yosemite and surrounding areas. Would enjoy some company while moto camping.

Thank You

Dave Wright

32dgrz likes this.
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Typically don't get fancy. You can make a pretty good meal out of a couple of hunks of meat, some cheese and fruit from the bestest grocery store.

Cook on the fire and you'll have minimal dishes.
    dwtwp likes this.
  3. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fritata, curries of various types, both easy to arrange and cook.
    Cooking can be hard without an adjustable simmer.

I use a trangia, you get two pots and a fry pan in the set as well as stand and windshield. Everything stacks down small inside. The gas conversion allows an infinite variety of heat settings which many camp stoves don't.

Where I camp in southern France, any flame must be easily and rapidly controllable for fire control in the normal summer drought conditions.
    dwtwp likes this.
  4. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends. Anything from steak on the fire (foiled potatoes in the coals) to dehydrated camping meals. Couscous is versatile, easy to season and works with everything.
    I used to get pretty fancy but I've now simplified my gear with a jetboil water boiler. I like to enjoy local foods once a day. Breakfast is usually porridge or eggs (fresh or dehydrated).
    dwtwp likes this.
  5. 32dgrz

32dgrz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RJAMT and dwtwp like this.
  6. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know I have posted this on one or several of the similar threads, but still true.
    I only camp in southern France these days. I have a few favourite campsites which are mostly lost and lonely, which covers most of La France Profond if you can be arsed to get off motorways and main roads. Not isolated like somewhere in Kansas, but you are left alone, but with access to facilities, hot shower, flushing toilet, potable water standpipes. Maybe a fridge or freezer in the office/farmers barn along side a functional washing machine to wash off the barbarque grease you dribbled down your only clean shirt. Yes, a "chimenie" is a common sight, you can then be more adventourous and set your sights higher.

Almost all butchers and suermarkets will have a rotissarie. Depending on the region, lamb or pork may also be on offer, along with the gravy and poasted potatoes. Usually not too expensive, the common options are size of course, but also "fermier" what we would call organic. The small could feed a hungry person on its own - but I have made stock from the carcase for a soup the following day.
    Rural markets are full of local produce, and seasonal too. No asparagus in November or strawberries at xmas. Almost everywhere the market will have a dairy stall, for cheese and butter - goats cheese tends to be on its own.
    On slightly bigger roads there are many roadside produce stalls. Usually a farmer and his own stuff. In high season, you can see people on their own with piles of melons or peaches or other fruit, Where I go, these folk are often students eking out a bit of extra cash through the holiday.

If you are in a village, there will be bread. After a steep decline, bread in France is improving again. While there are many great and passionate artisan bakers, the big chains are appropriating the names and style of the more boutique operations, you soon come to recognise the mis-sell.

Armed with good bread, and maybe a pastry for desert, you can hunt for produce and protein. The market, or shops on non market days, will provide nice juicy fruit and crisp vegetables. Cheese is very common, from the freshest goat to the ripest Roquefort and everything in between. Charcuitier will provide all sorts of prepared meats, dozens of pates and sausages - cooked, cured, dried or smoked from almost every sort of animal you can think of Aine - donkey to all the zebra/alligator/ostrich/kangaroo but the star is usually based on pork and sanglier (wild boar).
    I find space in my top box for a jar of cornichon, which are little pickles. The acidity complements the richness of the meats wonderfully.
    crustyone likes this.
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Anything that I can add boiled water to. But really only for a "snack" before bed. Otherwise, I'll hit up a quick gas station or grill on the way. On my trip to Madawaska ME last year, I pulled into a seafood restaurant. Over a 2h wait! Pulled into a gas station that had cooked burgers. Bought a bacon double cheeseburger and a can of beer for about $6. Ate at the campsite. It was perfect.
    pceire32 and dwtwp like this.